Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CS Perfs "Fox Hole Perfs" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CS Perfs "Fox Hole Perfs"
Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 08:57 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who may not have seen Foxhole Perfs. Used by 20th Century Fox back in the day. I guess they sent projector sprockets to theatres so they could play back the prints.

-

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 09:35 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm staring at the film strip trying to understand what you want us to see. It looks like an ordinary strip of 35mm film I saw from 1945 until I retired in 2007. Please explain.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 09:40 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
really look at the perfs on the left do they look normal? there almost square

-pg

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 10:07 AM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early days of CinemaScope, when magnetic sound tracks were placed on both sides of the sprocket holes, print stock was produced with narrower holes. New sprockets were required in projectors to accomodate this film. No, I don't think the sprockets were supplied by the distributors. It was another expense for the exhibitor when converting projectors, screens, sound systems to play 'scope prints and magnetic sound.
The sprockets with narrower teeth could run any type print stock, and quickly became standard for 35mm projectors.
With the elimination of mag striped prints, the "Fox-hole" film stock was no longer necessary. It got its name because 20th Century Fox introduced CinemaScope, and consequently the need for the different print stock.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-16-2012 11:47 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard P. May
The sprockets with narrower teeth could run any type print stock...
Would the vibration of the film caused by full-sized perfs not sitting snugly through the sprocket teeth not cause damage to the edges of the perfs themselves?

If not, I wonder if the sprocket teeth fitted as standard to modern projector mechanisms are Foxhole-compliant of not. I've just had a quick look at the ones in our booth (Cinemeccanica Vic 5), and the sprockets look too large at the base to me. It would be interesting to get my hands on some Foxhole footage and find out for sure.

I have only shown a 35mm combined mag print once in my life, on a DP-70, and can't remember having to change the dual profile sprockets for it. So I'm guessing that this machine at least had sprockets that worked with both types of perforation without any swapping needed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-16-2012 12:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CS sprockets were indeed used by most all machines after that. Note, the tooth was never wall-to-wall on the perforation.

VKF sprockets by LaVezzi were CS compliant though with any appreciable amount of shrinkage in the film the VKF sprocket would be an issue as the film could no longer seat...this was particularly true in the Intermittent where the tighter radius would get one into trouble on shrunken film.

The last generation of VKFs...the VKF-2 was not CS compliant but by then little or no CS film was being made.

Note, even LaVezzi's Positrol sprocket (which was for running KS perfs) only had one wide tooth to allow for shrinkage. One would use the wide tooth on the fixed guide side of a projector (lateral guide roller in the gate...one is fixed one is spring loaded) so in a Simplex, for instance, you would put the wide tooth outboard so if the film has shrunk the narrow tooth would accommodate.

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 04:18 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps using their proper name - CS-type perforations - would be better than the unofficial and somewhat confusing "fox hole" in a post designed to educate people?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2012 05:34 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jock Blakley
Perhaps using their proper name - CS-type perforations - would be better than the unofficial and somewhat confusing "fox hole" in a post designed to educate people?
I remember running many of these in the late 60's & early 70's,
and we always referred to them as 'Fox Perfs" of "Fox Holes".
It wasn't until years later after they'd become obsolete that
I learned their 'real' name while working in a film lab.

As for the projectors themeselves, most all of them had the
"fox sprockets" (or whatever they were called) installed, so
there was no chance of ruining a mag-optical print.

I can only recall working two theatres that didn't have the
sprocket upgrade, and there were HUGE signs all over the
booths warning not play mag-optical prints.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 11-17-2012 05:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were special negatives needed for contact printing on cs perf stock?

I've run a couple of mag/opt prints, but it was many years ago now. I also once saw o standard optical only print with cs perfs. I don't know why.

what were Dubray Howell perforations used for? I believe that they were a similar shape to Kodak Standard, but with the same slightly reduced height as Bell and Howell. I don't think I've ever seen any but I can't be sure; I doubt I'd notice the difference from Kodak Standard.

Posted on train, just about to arrive at Oakworth station, where 'The Railway Children' was filmed.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the magoptical print was adapted in the mid fifties Fox announced they would only release magoptical prints thus necessitating the near universal implementation of Foxhole sprockets.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2012 06:50 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Richard I see what you're talking about Paul. I remember changing the sprockets to accommodate CinemaScope prints. You obviously were not around when CinemaScope was first released.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-17-2012 09:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(His above sample was on IB tech stock...)

I take care of two drive-ins (Century SA and an XL in each respective booth) and both machines have "foxhole"-narrow tooth sprockets mounted on each machine.

In my collection, I have a gray, Griswald "Foxhole", wet cement splicer along with a gold CIRO "guillotine", 'foxhole' tape splicer.

Some of us can remember the reel shipping bands that came on FOX prints and each band had its associated color assigned to print format:

Green - Flat/optical
Red-CinemaScope/optical
Black-CinemaScope/Mag-optical
Blue-CinemaScope/optical w/"foxhole".

To this date, only print that I knew that FOX released in optical w/foxhole was 'Snow White and the Three Stooges'. It was odd to see a foxhole print assigned with optical only.

Four track magnetic - outboard with left, inboard was right, center was inboard and surround was the smaller stripe running within the optical track. When running optical from a mag/optical print, one had to turn the gain up a few to compensate the loss of one half of the optical track.

I did run a full coat mag only (no optical backup) of "Fantasia" in the late 70's. I had RCA come do a full tune at our theatre for this presentation, for being only a one week run.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-18-2012 09:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A common mistake...the smaller stripe, surrounds, actually runs inboard and NOT with the optical sound track. It is the full size Center channel that runs with the optical track and hence covers one of the bilateral stripes.

Doug Thompson
Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2012 10:47 AM      Profile for Doug Thompson   Email Doug Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've have seen only "CS" sprockets on the projectors I've used. Even the 70mm sprockets on the DP-75s, AA-IIs, and JJ I've used look to be compliant (were they to have made "CS" 70mm stock.)

We ran the butt warmer "Woodstock" as a midnight show. It was the only "CS" print I have ever seen. Even though the DP-75 had its Ampex head, the Eprad processor didn't have a mag input. The center stripe didn't quite cover half of one of the dual bilateral optical stripes resulting in very noticeable distortion when the optical track had low level sound. It wasn't so bad during louder sections. Adding to the aggravation, the theatre was platter only, and we had only "KS" splicers. I got a roll of clear perforated tape from a local camera/AV store and hand made every reel join. I aligned the sprocket holes by eye, taped the two aligned layers together and cut them with a (degaussed) paper cutter. After taping the cut ends to the straight edge of the paper cutter, I lined up a piece of the perforated tape with a razor blade much like one would do in audio tape splicing. Thankfully, the print was in very good condition. I left the one lab splice in. All this for one showing.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2012 02:20 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
To this date, only print that I knew that FOX released in optical w/foxhole was 'Snow White and the Three Stooges'. It was odd to see a foxhole print assigned with optical only.
There were mag prints of this title, too, so the print run was probably done all at once.

I've also seen prints that WERE mag/op with CS perfs, but after the mag run were reperfed with KS perfs for subrun, anticipating that few subrun places would be set up for mag.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: