Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 non-syc cross fade possibilities

Author Topic: CP650 non-syc cross fade possibilities
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-18-2012 08:16 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our policy has always been to program non-sync preshow music for a specific length of time and then start it so that it ends exactly at show-time. In other words, a preshow is program is created (usually from film soundtracks, lots of times from the film on the program) that has a running time of say 29min. For a movie showtime listed as 8pm, we start the CD program at 7:31pm. It ends exactly when the show should start.

In two of our theatres the output of the processor is fed into a multi-channel mixer with the non-sync CD players having their own separate input channels and processed, in one house using a Fosgate ProLogic processor so it can extract surround ambient sound to fill the auditorium with a more immersive 360 degree soundfield. In the other theatre we use a Sansui Quadraphonic QS decoder to get the surround channels extracted for the same surround effect.

Since the non-sync has its own channels which can remain live along with the film channel inputs, for presentation purposes it is possible to be able to end the non-sync music EXACTLY as the show first frames hits the screen. In fact I like to let the very last strains of the preshow music slightly overlap the start of the film, usually a Warner Brother's cartoon. The movie opening sound can step over the last strains of the preshow music. It creates a very tight, integrated effect having whatever music selection is playing to actually end "on purpose" rather than just fade out in the middle of a cut or worse, simple get popped off at any place it happens to be playing as I have heard done in many places.

In one theatre however, there is no mixer inteface -- the CP650 goes directly to the house amps. Question is; is there a way for the CP650 to allow the both the film sound AND the non-sync to play together rather than either/or, other than having to add a mixer between the processor and the amps? Not that that would be such a terrible thing, but it just adds a whole other issue of putting the output levels of a processor that has been B-channel aligned at risk by those who when they see a mixer, can't seem to resist the temptation to fiddle with all the dials. In the places where we do have this mixer setup, I have always said the mixer should be dipped in carbonite once every thins is properly aligned.

Anyway, can the CP650 be told to leave non-sync input live when film is selected?

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2012 02:57 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You raise some interesting points, so I'd like to discuss them further (without answering your question!).

A fair amount of the complexity (and cost) of a cinema processor is handling all the various inputs. For analog inputs, there are differential input amplifiers, variable gain amplifiers, and analog to digital converters. Each ADC uses more DSP ports (or could be switched before the DSP, but this eliminates the mixing you're describing). Additional two channel digital inputs (SPDIF and TOSLINK) also add complexity and cost. But, at least we don't now have to have the photocell inputs for film!

Anyway, it SEEMS that the entire show, including preshow music, could just be built as a series of DCPs, just as the trailers and main feature are. Then, everything would play off the server, and only the AES/EBU input on the processor would typically be used. This would require conversion of all content to DCPs for ingest.

PERHAPS a cinema audio processor could have three inputs: 16 channel AES/EBU, microphone (typically for emergency use), and an HDMI pass-through for streaming live content. I'd be interested in hearing comments on this idea. Could all "normal" show content (preshow music, advertising, trailers, feature, etc.) just be a series of DCPs handled by the server?

The original post asked about crossfade between the NS and AES/EBU input. The "series of DCPs" idea above would not allow this since content is just played sequentially. Back when I was in radio, we used tape based automation systems. Each piece of content had an End Of Message cue (150Hz on tape cartridge, 25Hz on reel to reel tape). The next source would start at the beginning of the cue and the current source would be turned off at the end of the cue. This allowed the crossfades. During dub to tape, the cue would be placed where the content faded so the next piece of content could be over it. If a piece of content ended suddenly, the cue was placed after that sudden end.

Anyway, back at cinema, during trailer playout, we do not have any audio crossfade between trailers. Sometimes there's even a few frames of black inserted. In recent ISDCF HFR discussions, it appears the goal is to play the trailers with no gaps (possibly up-converting to the highest frame rate in the trailer string and converting 2D trailers to 3D by sending each frame to both eyes), but then changing settings such that the feature always played in its native format (no frame rate upconversion, etc.). The switch may take a second or two, and during this time the screen is black and the audio is silent. This seems acceptable to me. It's like a dramatic pause. Something big is coming. We really don't want it to be right up against the last trailer.

So... does the same thing apply to preshow music? Do we really want to crossfade from preshow music into the first trailer? I agree that we should not just fade out of the middle of a song, but that can be prevented by building the preshow music DCP so that it ends properly.

So, I look forward to comments!

Harold
Design Team Member
USL JSD-80, JSD-100, JSD-60

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2012 06:38 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Harold -- you make an assumption and a point I didn't make clear. For the time being, all we will be playing is 35mm film, as well as 5.1 BluRay output, not DCP. Everything in this booth is still analog. So the crossfade would be between the anlog cell of projector #1 (or #2) and the NS.

Once we convert this room to digital (other than ECinema which it is now), the whole show, preshow music and all, as you suggest can be built as a complete package and I suppose one could get the two -- preshow music and first frame of the cartoon -- so close enough as to fulfill my concept of having them butt right up against each other and sound contiguous. We do cartoon, then trailers, then feature, so it would always be music up against the Warner Bros. opening theme...makes for a nice dramatic opening....curtains too.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2012 07:40 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right! I made the wrong assumption (and did not answer your question). Sorry about that! I think the USL JSD-80 crossfades NS (but I haven't looked at it closely in a while). I don't know about the CP650. I'd be interested in hearing further comments on putting everything on the server so you don't need NS, SPDIF, or TOSLINK inputs on a cinema sound processor. And, of course, I hope someone actually answers your question!

Thanks!

Harold

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-19-2012 12:59 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual doesn't seem to indicate that there is any way to leave sync live while playing film, either digital or analog tracks. It is not a big deal, I was just wondering if it could be done.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2012 04:32 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was always a slight annoyance for me too. The best idea I could come up with was to put a long Mute Fade Out time in the CP650, then the automation program would first mute the processor a few seconds before the first content for a not-so-hard transition.
When the automation then calls Fmt10, it automatically un-mutes.

The Datasat AP20 has fade-in and fade-out times individually programmable for each format which is a nice feature.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: