Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century C/R-3 Date of Manufacture

Author Topic: Century C/R-3 Date of Manufacture
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2012 02:41 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All

Can anyone tell me the date of manufacture of Century C, Serial # C-9352 and R3, Serial #R3-2091. I thought there is a Member with some of those records?

These were used until recently, and I just saved them from scrap. The C is an early version with 3-window door and single lense mount.

The R3 has a Component Engineering conversion.

I need to disassemble these units for a major cleaning and general servicing. Before doing so, is there anything I should be aware of regarding the Component Engineering conversion?

Cheers

Kutler

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-28-2012 06:21 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector: small barrel or 4" barrell?

Soundhead: 3 ball bearing or sleeve and one ball bearing on sprocket shaft? Louis

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2012 04:01 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector: 3-window door, 4 in lense barrel, older style intermittent that requires case disassembly for sprocket replacement, oil cups for top and bottom sprockets.

I thought that the 4 inch barrel cam out in 1955 and they also went to the single window door at the dame time?

Not sure of soundhead bearing config.

Cheers

Kutler

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-29-2012 01:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
soundhead: sleeve bearings were first with a cut out on the front to mount the old Western Electric pickup.

projector: you may well be right about the 4" barrel in 1955. I do know that many were sold about the time Cinmascope conversions were made. Older projectors were not worth the cost of conversion. The intermittent for the C was always that way. The so-called improved H style intermittent was derrived from the 70mm work and showed up in 35mm about 1961. (The 70mm JJ was originally made for cinemascope 55 and later litely modified.)

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2012 01:01 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector has a later serial number so would be a 4" lens. They came out around 1950. If the soundhead has bushings it probably came out at the same time.

If memory serves by 1955 the model H came and went and the SA / DA was just starting to be sold.
Dick

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis and Dick

E-mailing each of you.

Cheers

Kutler

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2012 08:13 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Prather
If memory serves by 1955 the model H came and went and the SA / DA was just starting to be sold.
I have a large collection of International Projectionist magazines.
The earliest ad I can find for the model H is about April, 1958.
I believe it was based on the model EE CinemaScope 55 machine as was the JJ 35/70.
The A models came out in the early sixties.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-04-2012 12:37 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that matches best with my guess. I had a used pair of H projectors at University of Louisville in 1969. 1958 sounds right and it matches with the parts list date in FT archives. I have only seen one printing of the H parts list so I guess 1958 is right for H. Louis

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2012 04:22 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert & Louis, I stand corrected on the dates for the H and A models. You guys are correct. We never had a H in Portland and only one pair of DAW's in a Drive In. Lots of C's as there must have been a good salesman here in the 40's.

I do know the 4" lens C parts sheet shows a 1950 date. IMO that was a terrible lens holder compared to the H & A machines. Spent extra time on rebuilds getting the lens not to move up and down when focusing.
Dick

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2012 09:42 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dick & Louis!

I P.M.d both of you but never heard back.

I am interested in hearing about special adjustments required for these machines. There was backlash in the intermittent that I adjusted, but would still like to have it given a once-over, although I think I have it set correctly.

I am also in need of some parts. Vertical shaft gear GR-0207 has some damaged teeth and needs replacement. Shutter shaft gear is ok. Also need to replace some roller bearings. The threading lamp metal/glass cover needs replacement. Missing shutter guard light cone. Also need a change-over. Finally, this machine has been stripped of all parts related to the fire douser.

It is true testement to the engineers and machinists of the past who were able to design machines that could take a licking and keep on ticking. After a complete disassembly and 3 cans of oven cleaner and a few bottles of Clorox Bathroom Cleaner this machine is now devoid of all the accumulated filth! And to think this machine was recently pulled from service. So much filth it was a wonder it could ever run film!

Cheers

Kutler

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: