Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » HELP-Eiki 16mm question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: HELP-Eiki 16mm question
Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick Eiki SSL-O question:

The sound just quit out of nowhere. Exciter lamp lights, fuse is good. Any next logical step to address the problem?

THANKS!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 01-13-2013 10:42 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check to see if some lint or dirt built up in the light path between the exciter and the pickup device. Sometimes prints will drag something like that into there.

Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 11:01 AM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, film path is clean, including this area. Machine worked perfectly fine a week ago, now mute...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-13-2013 11:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a "Mag/Opt" switch on the machine?

I have a pair of Elmo projectors that have such a setting. If the switch is in the "Mag" position, it is looking for a magnetic soundtrack and, if there isn't one, no sound will be produced. It has to be set for "Opt" to read the optical soundtrack.

Sometimes, this "Mag/Opt" switch is in a non-intuitive location. Sometimes it is labeled simply "M/O."

Secondarily, there might be an "Internal/External" switch used to select whether you want to use the internal speaker/amplifier or a remote, external speaker. It might be labeled something like "Line-Out."

Give it a look-see. I have occasionally been tripped up by these things.

Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 11:51 AM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Randy. No mag/ opt switch on this machine-strictly for optical tracks. There is a line-out jack which I have used with a speaker from time to time but no on/ off switch. I tried the line out jack to speaker just to see if anything would come though that way but nothing did...

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-13-2013 12:40 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a mic input? If so, do you get any sound when using that?

I don't recognise this model; sounds like one of the slot loaders, and I never used any of those.

Do you get any sound at all, hiss or mains hum, if you turn the volume right up?

Is this internal or external speaker? If external, check for any damage to the cable; also try plugging in a different speaker.

If none of that helps it sounds like an amp problem; does the amp have its own fuse?

Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 01:05 PM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen- Yes this is an Eiki slot loader, internal speaker. There is a mic input but I don't have anything with a jack that size to test it with. There is NO hiss or hum at all. Yes, there is a fuse for the amp, the first thing I tried. I switched fuses with the exciter lamp fuse which is clearly working (exact same fuse type). The exciter lit with the switched fuse, so it must be good -but still no sound with the either fuse in place. I even tried a spare I had on hand and again, nothing. Thanks for all suggestions, I've been using this machine for many years with no problems and I still can't help but think the solution has to be something fairly simple that I'm overlooking...

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 01:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try some non synch input in the mic jack. If you don't get any sound I would guess the amp itself quit on you rather than a solar cell/exciter problem. If that is the case, you can pull the signal off the solar cell where it plugs into the amp and send it through any external amplifier with a mic input, at least until you get the amp repaired.

Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the amp did just "quit" does anybody have an leads on someone who does this type of repair in the NYC area?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-13-2013 03:01 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid questions: Does the film have an optical soundtrack? Is the film threaded correctly?

I know... dumbass questions but dumbass things like that have tripped me up before.

If you slide a business card or something small, thin and opaque through the film path at the sound scanning point do you get the characteristic "THUMP" sound?

In other words, verify that the projector is or is not working correctly regardless of the film. As mentioned, it might be a problem with the film, not the machine. This will verify.

Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 03:11 PM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film has optical track, have tried a few in fact. No "THUMP" with credit card swipe test. It's the machine for sure, and the amp "quitting" seems a possibility. Any thoughts on amp repair options appreciated!

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 04:12 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try posting on this site . There are a lot of Eiki buffs there as well as some very knowledgeable repair people.

Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 04:40 PM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-13-2013 08:22 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Newgarden
There is NO hiss or hum at all.
That would seem to imply that the amplifier is fundamentally not working. Like Stephen, I have very little experience with Eiki slotloaders, but I do have an NT-1 and an RT-2. The only other thing that occurs to me is that there is a plug and jack, which I think is 2.5mm (as in, smaller than a mini headphone jack), where the line from the photocell connects to the amplifier module in the base of the machine in on one of them (presumably to facilitate the easy swapping out of the entire amp module). Apologies if this sounds a bit vague - my projectors are back home in England and I'm currently in Southern California, and so can't open one up to look and take photos. Could that plug have simply worked loose and fallen out?

Mark Newgarden
Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2013 09:13 PM      Profile for Mark Newgarden   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Newgarden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo -Thank you for that info- I have not taken opened the back and taken a close look yet (because I'm not exactly sure what to look for) but I will see if I can figure this out from your description. THANKS for all the feedback here; its all very much appreciated.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: