Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » connecting switcher to xetron xh series

Author Topic: connecting switcher to xetron xh series
Jim Billek
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2013 08:26 PM      Profile for Jim Billek   Email Jim Billek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long time reader that needs help I can't find using search. Without giving my life story I am replacing a Irem power supply that is a model no tech I have talked to is familiar with to a Strong Switcher. The issue I am having is the xetron xh series appears to have just a loop through the interlock and fan safety switches that goes back to supply and the Switcher is looking for 120V coming from lamphouse. Would someone please let me know how it should be hooked up? I am in the middle of no where and techs that use to service me are too busy with digital at the moment.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-22-2013 04:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Strong rectifiers all (some exceptions, mostly antique) supply 120V on terminal numbers 2 and 4 to power a Strong lamphouse (fans, ignitor if AC) and the power contactor is engaged by getting 120VAC back on terminals 5 and 6.
The Strong lamphouse interlocks and "lamp on" switch just complete the circuits between 2 and 5 plus between 4 and 6. (#3 is for automation control of the lamp on/off)
You are correct that the Xetron/Irem just wants a contact closure. Assuming your lamphouse is compatible with that (Cinemeccanica or many others) you can just jumper rectifier terminal #2 to #5, and connect the lamphouse control wires between #4 and #6. It's better to do that with a relay but just connecting it should work.
Check the rectifier with an ohmeter, some have an internal jumper between 2 and 5 (I think, could be 4 and 6?) or a "console/spotlight" switch that makes that connection. If it's already jumpered you don't need to add one, connect your lamphouse control wires to the unjumpered pair.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: