Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Outdoor / mobile screens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Outdoor / mobile screens
Jure Maticic
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2013 05:55 AM      Profile for Jure Maticic   Email Jure Maticic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

we're thinking of expanding our activities and one of the ideas in starting an outdoors cinema in the summertime. We will be using two to three locations in the span of two months. I am considering a few options on how to set up our screen and would like some feedback and/or experience on the subject. The first option is to use an aluminum stage construction and use it to mount the screen. The second option is to use an inflatable screen ... i am favoring this one.

Any advice?

Thanks! Jure

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2013 09:51 AM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard good things about the inflatable screen. They look cool. Haven't seen one myself or if the blower makes noise. The band YES had an inflatable set and the blower noise used to drive Steve Howe crazy.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-31-2013 11:17 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The inflatable ones are just fine. Wrong aspect ration most times. Some trouble if you have much wind. Louis

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2013 11:37 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Da-Lite also made some stand-up models (I've got a 4:3 silver screen that's about 15 feet tall), but like Louis said, a light breeze has been known to knock that stuff over.

I would just construct a tower in a way that it's easy to put up and take down (make sure it's either posted to the ground or bottom heavy). The inflatable things are more hassle than they're worth.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-31-2013 03:53 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What size of screen are you thinking of?

'Inflatable' at first sounds like such a great idea. Once you went through an event with it, you will notice it needs at lot more to set up than just a few mouthfuls of air. And they are very expensive.

I guess stage truss usually is the best way to set it up in different locations.

- Carsten

Antti Nayha
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2013 04:02 PM      Profile for Antti Nayha   Email Antti Nayha   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that’s a coincidence… I was also just asked to look at inflatable screens.

Is Airscreen the only available option? I’ve only seen one inflatable screen in action, but I’m not sure about the brand. I wasn’t quite sold on that particular example; the screen surface just looked a bit ugly to me.

I guess you wouldn’t use a center speaker with an inflatable screen for obvious reasons. Or is the consensus here that L+R+sub is ”good enough” for open air screenings anyway?

Jure Maticic
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2013 06:20 AM      Profile for Jure Maticic   Email Jure Maticic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am lookink at something around 7-8m wide, depends what the standard measurments are for the manufacturers of such screens. I wouldn't spend too much on a custom sized screen. I have one offer from Airscreen - their 7.25 m screen (7.25 is just the screen size, the inflatable part comes around it and accounts for a little less than 1 m) would cost me about 11.000 Eur, with the screen included + the inflating device. What is that in USD - 12.000-13.000?? I was also checking out aluminum stage constructions and is seems just the frame would be more expensive + i would need more hands to build it and move it around.

I still haven't decided yet. But one thing is true. So far I still haven't seen the inflatable screen in action ... the other option (aluminum construction) I have seen and works fine, but is a lot of trouble transporting and assembling.

Jure

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2013 08:36 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, aluminium is super expensive these days. Probably more durable would be a frame made out of PVC piping, and tether a screen to that frame.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2013 07:03 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try contacting these guys.

MDI
Somehow Strong got involved with them but hopefully they didn't hurt them too much.
or
Franklin Designs

I have worked with both and would think they could recommend someone if they don't have anything.

Rick

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-02-2013 07:17 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aluminium tubing 7m width does not cost too much. We paid about 300€ for the material (8.50m wide). Standard aluminium stage tubing is a bit more expensive, but then you can use standard connectors and fittings and it's a bit sturdier. Plus you get it at every stage/PA supply, repairs and changes are easy.

But the problem is not the frame. You need a solid mounting/fixing point for it.

And as I said - Airscreen just looks easy on first sight. Collapsed, they are still HUGE. Usually they need water ballasts, etc. It's not an air mattress! And for that, they are really expensive.

These are not strictly for outdoor use, but might give you an idea:

http://www.gerriets.com/_download/produktblaetter/Gerriets_Screens.pdf

(you can inquire for a price list at their website)

I still advocate perforated screens for open air - but it needs some more effort (black back screen foil).

Jure - feed Googles picture search with 'open air screen' - will give you lots of inspiration.

- Carsten

Patrick White
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2013 07:54 AM      Profile for Patrick White   Author's Homepage   Email Patrick White   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings. I'm new to the forum but thought I'd throw my thoughts in here as this is what I do. First, with regard to aspect ratio, you can get screens in whatever size you want just do the math and let the manufacturer know. Second, Airscreen is not the only game in town. I highly recommend you contact Michael Vosse at http://www.thevisionexperience.com/. I have three screens from him and have no complaints.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2013 09:50 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not care for inflatable screens.

I have been at outdoor screenings (digital projection) during the spring/summertime.

Windy enviornments make the screens very unstable. All that fluttering around makes it impossible to keep a focused image. Ends up making the viewer nauseous!

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi jure!

Airscreen is relly great thing, i am working some film festival on summer and we are using airscreen which is rented via company who also represent them here, so if you need to get in touch and maybee get better prices let me know, so I can let you know for this guys here in Croatia.

Alu construction and screen on it is good, but problem is usual wind. Also, I did have some screens made with some 10mm thick wooden plates on metal construction, and painted in mat white color, that was great, besides fact that you need to put speakers under the screen.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2013 11:00 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use and sell inflatable screens that are affordable. I had great trouble sourcing a good design and build. I am more than happy with this one now in its 4th year of service. 25ftx14ft or 7.5 x 4.2 metres image size. This one is designed to cope with 25mph gusts.

-

Delivered to you about US $6000 not including import taxes or duty etc.

I personally would not use a metal frame (nor pvc pipe) as I think they are a much bigger risk in high winds. With the inflatable you can easly drop the screen quickly, unfortunately with metal it can bend or kill. Our first outdoor gig involved 2 riggers and used scaffolding it took a day to build and a day to pack up. The inflatable is up and down within the hour.

An example of the risks involved see the link below.

http://cxmagblog.com/2012/12/12/st-kilda-screen-collapse-near-miss-for-punters/

Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2013 02:56 AM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have experience with either, I use steel tower Selby screens, which I think would be overkill for your application, but, I've known people doing what you want to do. Inflatables aren't bad, if you get them anchored very well. It's basically a sail in the air, so you'd want to make sure it's anchored way more than you believe it needs to be. And of course, better brands will be more sturdy, and more pricey, but you get what you pay for. As far as brands, I can't help you there, don't really know any. And I've never heard the sound from the blowers on an inflatable screen, so I can't help you there either, I assume it's kind of like the ones on a moon bounce, maybe not quite as powerful, no kids jumping on it. As car as a corrugated screen, personally, I prefer flat screens, just because the way it looks close up and the way moisture can lay on a corrugated a little different than flat. But that's my own personal opinion, I know people that swear by corrugated and for a smaller application I don't see why it wouldn't be just fine. I know of someone who got in a couple of shipping containers like you'd find on a dock, stacked them up, slapped a coat of white paint on, and called it a day. I don't know where you actually buy one of them, and it's probably more work than its worth, but it's little creative things like that which get you thinking. Hope this helps!
Jay

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: