Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Last can of Taken 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Last can of Taken 2
Adam Ladds
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 09:57 AM      Profile for Adam Ladds   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Ladds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the final can of a print of Taken 2 I was making up I saw this:
http://i.imgur.com/ses30Or.jpg

We're not digital yet, but we aim to be before the end of 2013. It is sad when you see something like this [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 10:57 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The saddest part is that exhibitors have to fork over a ton of money to save the distributors money. That's the only reason for the digital switch. A good film presentation will equal digital any day.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-08-2013 11:57 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If cheapskate exhibitors had their way motion pictures would still be sound free, black and white, projected in 1.33 in unheated, unairconditioned theaters with salvaged church pews for seats.

Jay Glaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 12:43 PM      Profile for Jay Glaus   Author's Homepage   Email Jay Glaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2013 12:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert E. Allen
A good film presentation will equal digital any day.
Not anymore Bob. Unless you have access to EK prints, everything theaters are receiving today is being cranked out by Deluxe. The last few theaters I've converted I was looking at the images and they were awful. Deluxe was never very good in the first place and it is clear absolutely nobody cares anymore.

You can simply never make that statement again regarding current 35mm prints. With rare exceptions, you can't even make that statement regarding most repertory prints, as most of them have dust and at least light scratches on them from handling.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 01:55 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the 'dust and light scratches' that I will miss the most !

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 03:22 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's too bad Brad. Thanks for the tip.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 02-08-2013 04:14 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last dozen or so 35mm prints we received were covered with cross frame scratches. damaged SRD tracks etc. Most took at least 3 replacements to get something playable, one needed 5 replacement
prints. This would indicate that the remaining film theaters don't know what they are doing.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2013 05:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well also of the theaters still standing, those are the ones (with exceptions) that are being held together by duct tape where the owners don't have the money to do anything to improve. It's simple math that these last film theaters will be the worst of the bunch.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-08-2013 06:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's kind of hilarious given that before the advent of digital, "dust and scratches" were the worst things that could happen to a movie, and people were touting home video as a way to watch a movie "without all the dust and scratches."

And there were products like Film Guard created to GET RID OF the dust and light scratches. So now people are NOSTALGIC for film damage?! Give me a break.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 06:45 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been nostalgic for film damage.
We just went way out of our way to get a 35mm print made by Deluxe of Django Unchained and it is far superior to the DCP I viewed. This is a move over engagement.Everything has been digital for Django up until now.
I am selling it that way on our website and facebook pages...See it the way QT would prefer you to see it!

http://www.hylandcinema.com/pub/hyland1/moviedetails/816

I hope to do Lincoln the same way and then I expect film to be about over for new releases. Just saying that not all prints are crap right now.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-08-2013 08:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you got lucky. The Django print I saw had horrible mis-timed colors and ridiculous amounts of negative dirt. The Deluxe bouncey bouncey dance wasn't too awful, but that's because Django is scope.

That being said there were 2 shots near the beginning of the movie that looked awful from compression (dark scenes) and there were a few shots with blown highlights, but overall most of the movie looked very good in digital. I'm surprised Quentin let those shots slide.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-08-2013 10:07 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People who like the dust and scratches are stupid.

If you're really going to pose as a purist, you should insist on seeing the movie WITHOUT all of those imperfections.

Seeing a film that's been damaged or mishandled is not seeing the film "as the director intended" or "as it was meant to be seen."

If the only thing that matters is that it's on film, just collect 16mm prints and watch them at home.

BTW -- Did that film hugger label that poor film with masking tape?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-08-2013 10:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
omg i will miss the brainwraps the most lol i had them ever show we were like lol film man i miss those days i think in the back of there minds custoemrs miss that to

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2013 10:36 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Not anymore Bob. Unless you have access to EK prints, everything theaters are receiving today is being cranked out by Deluxe. The last few theaters I've converted I was looking at the images and they were awful. Deluxe was never very good in the first place and it is clear absolutely nobody cares anymore.
Unfortunately very true. Comparing prints we hold that were struck by all sorts of labs (Technicolor, CFI, Atlab, LTC St Cloud, and so on) in the '90s verses "modern" prints illustrates it so clearly.

Of course the DI also helped with the overall reduction in the image quality of release prints, but still.

Personally I also think that 5/2386 was a much nicer stock than 2383. I look at the colour and saturation of prints like BARAKA and HAMLET, both 70mm EXR prints from 65mm EXR neg, and can't believe how far things have slipped.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: