Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dealing with soundtrack damage (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: dealing with soundtrack damage
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-13-2013 09:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received a print yesterday with good picture, but with platter/roller scratches in the soundtrack. It is not quite unlistenable, but the soft crackling sound is annoying. Is there anything that can be done on the exhibition side of things to minimize the impact of the scratches? Specifically, is there any benefit to slightly de-focusing the optics or is there anything else that can be done?

This is a mono B&W print with a silver track. The theatre is using BACP LED readers.

I have the equipment and loops to re-do the A-chain properly after this screening if necessary.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2013 09:20 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Base side, FilmGuard, emulsion side, not much you can do.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-13-2013 09:29 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try: using noise reduction even on mono.

shorting ONE channel input, then the other. (Older processors, remove one NR card, then the other.)

Best news of all, instantly back to normal. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-13-2013 10:43 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like bacon frying?

Not a whole lot you can do. Try FilmGuard. Even if the emulsion side is damaged, it will help a little. (Depends on how bad the scratches are.)

Try different modes: Stereo, mono, noise reduction in our out.

Past that, I can't recommend much else.
If its a movie that will only have a short run, realigning sound heads and tinkering with processors might prove to be counterproductive. You'll spend all that time changing stuff, only to restore it a short time later.

I would only consider making changes to the system if the movie is going to have a long run.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2013 11:15 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told LED readers exacerbate dirty or damaged tracks. One trick I've seen done is to put a piece of translucent adhesive (scotch) tape over the light source to diffuse the light somewhat.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-13-2013 11:24 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it an archival print?

You may not be permitted to apply a liquid cleaner, even if it will help. I'd ask first. [thumbsup]

I suspect Scott knows this, but I'm adding this note in case some future person finds this thread. It's likely that more and more prints will be sourced via archives as time passes.

This sounds like a situation where an additional layer of outboard EQ's (normally in bypass) might help. Engage them when you get into a "situation" like this, dial-in a setting that works, and then bypass them to return to normal.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2013 12:07 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a density or area track? If it's an area track, what kind?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2013 01:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Weitzel
One trick I've seen done is to put a piece of translucent adhesive (scotch) tape over the light source to diffuse the light somewhat.
This works surprisingly well (I think I was the one who showed you) and is something I always do for film collectors or sub run houses that are working with used prints. Do note you will have to slightly increase your current to the LED and run tone again to calibrate, but the benefits of the Scotch tape far outweigh not having it. Keep in mind it must be Scotch tape (the kind that you can write on that looks frosted).

Sean, remember that old reel of film you brought over last year how clean it sounded? Scotch tape. [thumbsup]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-13-2013 01:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just gotta try this!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-13-2013 02:13 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not made a direct comparison, but I do feel that the LED readers are more sensitive to print damage than an exciter/slit-lens arrangement. Curiously, the same is true for cyan-track prints played with white-light readers. I know of a theatre that did this for a while before converting to LEDs. They actually sound OK (though noisy) if the print is new from the lab, but damaged cyan tracks sound terrible on a white-list reader system.

I will try the Scotch-tape thing tonight. Will also try playing in Dolby A and turning off the power amps for the other channels, which for some reason did not occur to me last night when I was testing things. Presumably the matrix decoding will help somewhat. Unfortunately, there is no way to create a matrix format without NR on the CP650.

The backup plan is to show a collector print, but it has a different set of issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-13-2013 06:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LED readers are indeed more sensitive to scratches. The magic-tape theory does indeed work...I've done a couple of layers to get a very diffuse light...you definitely need to increase gain though.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-14-2013 09:03 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a dolby dp50 100 or 200 it is possible to set the A type cards to act as a DNR noise filter Hopefully someone can remember how I cant find my book on that

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-14-2013 09:50 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, you either set the level too low or too high. That is what you are thinking.

The Scotch tape thing does help with noise since it rolls off the highs and miscalibrates the dolby tone. Remove when done or you might as well have a Smart. (Don't think so? Run an A chain with the tape in place.) Louis

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-14-2013 10:18 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, your and my memory are going fast. But I do remember more than you about this issue.

You can engage the filter on the 50 and 200. On the 50 with the original pushbutton switches, one could engage or disengage the academy filter independently. The 100 is fading from my memory, but the 364 external NR for surrounds did have a half and full NR filter but only for the surrounds.

The 200 can be programmed to set a two stage filters one stage at a time. You have to create a custom format to do it.

As to the tape, it works but it lowers the Dolby reference. You need to re-do the level to get back up to Dolby level. It has nothing to do with cutting high or low end frequency response.

The best way to lower the sensitivity to dirt is to make sure the LED is right up close to the film, just sort of touching it. This has the effect of diffusion. For various mechanical reasons it is sometimes difficult to get that close.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-14-2013 04:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I recall, Dolby used the CAT 22 and then the CAT 280 like Gord was mentioning but in their 43 and then 430 series of processors.

The CAT 43/CAT 430 allowed one to have control over the expanders so one can get a DNR like noise reduction but with the flexibility of adding as much expansion as desired/needed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: