Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex E-7 Vertical Shaft

Author Topic: Simplex E-7 Vertical Shaft
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2013 02:31 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting back into rebuilding my E-7 vertical shafts. Interesting to see that the bearing casting on both projectors have veen bored and lined with oil-lite bearings. While the one-shot was left in tack, the oil-lites have not been drilled to allow the oil to access the shafts. Hence, the one-shot is mute...unless it is intended to pressure feed the bearings from the o.d.? Nonetheless, the shafts spin beautifully and there seems to be no noticable bearing-shaft wear. I was wondering if I should drill the bearings to allow the one-shot to work...not that hard to do. Notice that the Simplex Vertical Shaft Suppliment does not show these oil-lites...seems like the original configuration was shaft to cast iron bearing casting.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-17-2013 03:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think of the oilite as a sponge. The oil must contact the O.D. of the oilite; not the I.D. The oilite will absorb enough oil to keep the shaft happy.

The above will come as a shock to the boys at Strong who made hundreds of century intermittents where the oil could not reach the oilite at all; they rebuilt some intermittents more than 3 times before we got them. The cam shaft kept seizing. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-17-2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the "XL" movements where there was no oil dimple on top of the front support bracket of the camshaft-even though that had an oilite bearing in the front? I got into the habit of putting a drop of oil behind the retainer ring to help keep that oilite bearing lubed.

Guess, one could have drilled a dimple in that alum casting to lube that bearing, but too late now ... digital took that all away from me.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2014 10:16 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a difference between the G-258-G Shutter Shaft Driven Gear oblique and G-338-G Shutter Shaft Driven Gear vertical shaft? I have the two side by side and they look identical except for a slight difference in length.

Cheers

Kutler

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2014 01:30 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bushings are stock, (I have new ones) They are not listed in the parts suppliment as they require special installation tool and reamer to fit them (attempt at getting you to send the unit to a dealer for repair)they are oilite and are pourous. Make sure you have the hardened and fibre washers at the thrust points or the bushings will wear down. The steel gears are NOT interchangeable, The tooth pitch is different even though the face angle looks the same. Still have lots of parts for those.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2014 06:30 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John

Thanks for the input. I am sending you a p.m. with my contact info. I need to speak E-7 with you.

Cheers

Kutler

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2014 05:33 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi John

I think I know where you are going with the special vertical shaft oilites and reamers. It seems that the S-1560-G shaft (the one that contains the G-357-G & G-333-G metal gears & GG-21 phenolic gear is ground along the shaft to a couple of different diameters? The gear bores are also machined to match. We may only be talking about a few 0.0001 difference. Not knowing from experience how to assemble can lead to problems, as specific assembly instructions are not included in the vertical shaft supplement.

Cheers

Kutler

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Jeez...
The Rialto in South Pasadena had oblique shutter drive gears on their E-7s. One in particular would seize about every six months. It took the tech 4 hours to replace it. And yes, we were religious about oiling.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2014 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will..... I'm just curious WHY bother to rebuild the E-7's? There are so many other projectors that are more worthy of that time spent!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Eickhof

Please P.M. or e-mail me. I tried to privately contact you, but have not heard back. I have some E-7 questions for you, can use your help and am also interested in what parts you have.

Cheers

Kutler

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: