Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS readers

Author Topic: DTS readers
Jon Busch
Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2013 01:30 PM      Profile for Jon Busch   Email Jon Busch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have access to two 70mm DTS readers? I'm trying to play LAWRENCE OF ARABIA as the last film before film projectors go away and Sony is not sure the mag print is any good. Has anybody played it in mag recently?

|  IP: Logged

Jock Blakley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2013 07:12 PM      Profile for Jock Blakley   Email Jock Blakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The are DTS 70 prints of LAWRENCE?

We used to show it in 70mm from one of the 1988 prints until Columbia sent it to South Korea where the hirers had it laser-subtitled. Except for that sort of circumstance, or the mag print being completely trashed, I'd still choose it over DTS purely on the sound quality. The DCP sounds pretty bad too, unfortunately.

(We do have two DTS 70 readers but it's probably a somewhat inconvenient distance thing for you to borrow them)

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2013 11:36 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Datasat (DTS) discs were made off a 48/24 digital transfer of the 6-track mag soundtrack, so other than the digital compression of the APTX encoding (which to my ear is not really noticeable) the digital track sounds good. We also made discs of the 5.1 remix, which I'm not such a fan of (but some theaters need, since many sites playing these 70mm movies only have 3 channels behind the screen).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: