Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 4k rectifier A.C. question

Author Topic: 4k rectifier A.C. question
Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2013 02:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how much (with single phase 220) amperage a rectifier would draw for a 4000 watt bulb? Or, is 3 phase the only option with this high wattage bulb. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-29-2013 04:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you find a switcher, you are looking at 3 phase. It is possible to strap 2-2000 watt units in parallel for 4k. If you lose one, you are likely to lose the other since it is then overloaded a bit. 3-2000 watt units works better. I use Strong high reactance rectifiers: Each: 30 amps/230volt. Louis

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2013 05:43 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of a couple of theatres here in SF that are running 3phase
rectifiers (power supplies) on single phase by using a bank of large capacitors
to create a 'phantom' 3rd phase. You can find info on how to do this online.
They're lamps are only 2K though. But I assume if you had large enough capacitors,
you could go higher.

There are some trade-offs though. You won't be able to get full rated power
output, due to efficiency losses.

- - and the rectifier makes a very loud annoying buzz at about 120hz, which
might be a problem if your booth isn't too soundproof.

But they've been running with this arrangement for over 20 years.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: