Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kinoton FP25D - Spool Tower levers

Author Topic: Kinoton FP25D - Spool Tower levers
Steve R Pike
Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2013 10:42 AM      Profile for Steve R Pike   Email Steve R Pike   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are now using our digital projector for every showing, however I have just been informed by the guy who books our films that we will be showing a couple of 35mm prints in our next season.

After my initial excitement about dusting off my film skills, I realised that we hadn't actually projected any "film" since our adverts went digital over 18 months ago.

I threaded up the projector (funny how things quickly come back to you!) and got ready to test the system.

The only thing that wouldn't work was the tension on the spools either side of the projector.

Usually the lever arm is raised and it causes tension however nothing seem to be working.

I even ran the motor but just ended up with film on the floor.

Does anyone know of any reason why the spools would not rotate or have any tension with the motor? Or have I forgotton to do something (being nearly over 18 months since we used it last!!) and sadly the manual didn't give any clear answers [Frown]

Cheers

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2013 01:44 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with the Kinotron towers. Are the reel spindles
direct motor drive,or are they driven through belts?
I've often had to replace belts or adjust the take up friction
clutches after a 35mm machine sits dormant for months.

I just had to do a 35mm show on a Cinemeccanica with 12,000ft
reels that hadn't been used in almost 8 months.

It's always a good idea to check lubrication & intermittant oil levels on
a machine that hasn't been used in awhile. (but you probably knew that!)

If you haven't used the xenon lamp for awhile, and the duct hasn't
been closed off, it's a good idea to check out the interior of the
lamphouse. You'd be surprised what things can find their way down
the exhaust duct of an unused lamphouse!

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2013 05:23 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is the "tower" turned on?

if it is, in which positions are the other two knobs (large/small spool knob, projection/rewind/disassembly knob)?

is it connected to anything else (automation, maybe the kinoton sa2)?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: