Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » JJ switch 35-70 and back again question

Author Topic: JJ switch 35-70 and back again question
Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2013 03:17 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was being shown how to switch the Century between 35 and 70, the only thing that didn't make any sense to me was the intermittent shoe. One must be removed, and the other installed, of course. Fine. But I was shown that the only way to do this was to first remove the intermittent in order to be able to get at the little screw at the base of the shoe assembly that holds the tensioner nut from backing up and out. (presumably from all the vibration)

True, it seems like the only other way to get at that screw is to have the world's smallest screwdriver, like one inch long total, because there's lots of other stuff in the way.

But it just seems so wrong. I can't believe that Century would make a unit with such a tricky operation necessary just to switch film media types. Yes, I've had to learn how to do it, but I remain extremely skeptical. What am I missing?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-13-2013 06:05 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know what is going on on your unit, but. . . . normally tools are not needed to do that. It just "plugs" in and out. Probably a ball-detent. I've never disassembled that particular portion. What you describe is almost right for an SA (35mm) unit.

It would be somewhat easier to replace the screw with an Allen screw and use a small ratchet. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-13-2013 06:06 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your information is incorrect. Open the shoe. Grasp onto the intermittent shoe assembly via the knurled knob sticking out at you and pull it straight towards you. the whole assembly comes out. Get the other format and push it in and it will click right in. The whole operation takes about 5-seconds.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2013 11:22 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. Mine doesn't do that. Rebuild folks must have missed something. Nobody's perfect. Will have to have somebody look at it.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2013 11:54 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
page 17 of the manual gives you the instructions. Sounds like you have the wrong intermittent.

Rick

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2013 03:02 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought about it, but doesn't make enough sense. Did Century make more than one intermittent housing with an opening wide enough for 35/70mm sprockets? This one definitely does.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-14-2013 08:48 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that "things changed" over the years as Strong forgot how to make JJ's. Steve is right, all JJ's had the plug in mount with a roll pin through the hole and a detent on the side. Possibly Strong made one just like the 35mm only intermittents with a simple set screw on the side, no roll pin or detent outof habit. Louis

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-14-2013 11:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is also possible the screw with the spring ball is too far in or the ball is stuck and it only appears to be fixed.

I'd explore it a bit further.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2013 12:30 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Have already called the folks that did the original re-build of the innards of the intermittent, and they want to see it. (just have to find a day to break free from the job...)

Many thanks.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2013 02:27 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can take some pictures of the intermittent shoe housing on our jjs if you'd like

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-15-2013 04:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need "special" tools to set that screw with the ball/spring.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2013 08:03 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news. Took the head in, and the techs removed the intermittent to get a better look, then (gently) pried the shoe assembly from the intermittent with a flathead screwdriver in the gap. Corrosion, and years of never being pulled in/out. A gentle milling to smooth the shaft surface, and it's right as rain. No ball though. Just the spring and screw. Still snaps in and snaps out nicely, though. Hmmm...

As Tony has pointed out to me before, I'm not the one to go prying or forcing anything on a projector. Was happy to point that at a professional.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-18-2013 11:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See, all that oil that normally leaks everywhere, has a function: it makes it easy to replace the pad assembly! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: