Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Flat or 1.66 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Flat or 1.66
Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2013 11:59 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone on here give me the rundown on my film print we ran tonight?

We ran the The Shining tonight in 35mm. The print turned red and was Eastman Kodak 19 I believe.

2. Anyways, we noticed it was not scope and no cropped flat. I looked like it was full frame flat. It worked perfect with our flat lense. Now was this 1.66 and if so, does anyone know if this was an American print or a print from Europe?

2. We ran the print in A-Chain and noticed that is was mono (which would be correct). Question is, was the tracks on the print stereo with just the recording on the center channel?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 12:26 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.66:1 comes from the cut opening of the aperture plate.

The film was full frame 1.37:1, which was great to use for 4:3 TV and/or video tape, or laserdisc releases of its day.

quote: Terry Lynn-Stevens
We ran the print in A-Chain
That'd be the tech's department where the "A chain" tests checks for optical alignment.

You would have set your processor for Dolby "A", format 04, but found out that it was a mono release why the sound came out of center channel only. There you should have set the processor to "Format 01 = mono"

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2013 12:32 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte

So what we had was 1.37 full print? We used the 1.85 plate. We projected it 1.85...the image used the entire frame, there was no matting and from a distance, one would assume that it was a scope feature.

From what I understand, there are 1.66 prints in Europe.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 12:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Negative ratio was the 1.37:1
European releases used the 1.66:1 projected image.
USA releases used the 1.85:1 projected image.

and from a distance, one would assume that it was a scope feature
If this was released as a scope feature, the full frame image would have been squeezed vertically with a 2.00:1 ratio.

Hope this helps. good luck-Monte

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2013 12:39 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So this would of been a 1.66 print? I am confused because there was no matting however we ran it with the 1.85 aperture plate.

Does this make any sense?

Are there flat prints without matting?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 12:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean "hard matting" on the frame itself - the black bars inbetwen each frame? Disney used the 1.66:1 hard matt on their flat film releases in the 80's and 90's.

When I ran this movie back in the '80's, we used the 1.85 aperture plate for presentation from a 1.37, full frame print.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2013 12:46 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were no black bars on the print. So it makes sense now that you stated you had an full frame and projected it in 1.85.

Thanks Monte!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 01:34 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Flat" basically refers to any movie print which is not anamorphic or Cinemascope. ("Scope.")

Anamporphic, Cinemascope lenses have the property of magnifying images horizontally and vertically at different ratios. "Flat" or "spherical" lenses magnify images horizontally and vertically the same way.

Therefore, 1.85, 1.66, 1.78 and 1.37 aspect ratios are all considered "flat" because they don't use an anamorphic lens.

The different flat formats usually require a specific combination of lens focal length and aperture plate but it is often possible to project one flat format through a different lens/aperture combination with little or no noticeable difference. However, you might run into an objectionable cropping or image "spillover" situation when you do this.

Complicating the matter is the fact that some prints are "hard matted" with black bars between the frames. The image area of the film frame is supposed to match closely with the aperture/lens in order to fit onto the screen with minimal spillover.

This is where the funkiness comes in.

If you project a print composed in one aspect ratio using a projector set up for another, often, what you will find is that you have to be careful to frame the image properly or else you will cut off the tops of the characters' heads and their feet. Other times, you might be able to see microphone booms in the picture where you shouldn't.

Now, if the print is hard matted and you project in the wrong aspect ratio, you might end up with black bars at the top and bottom of the picture. The movie will look like it's been letterboxed when it really isn't supposed to be.

The best solution is to have the correct lens and aperture plates to project each format of movie at the right aspect ratio. If you can't afford more than one lens, it is possible to cut aperture plates for the different movies using only one lens. The down side, here, is that, unless your screen has moveable masking, the picture might not fit. If you can't do either of those things, the only thing you can do is to watch the movie closely and carefully adjust the framing as well as you can so that heads and feet are not cut off or so that extraneous objects don't show on the screen when they shouldn't.

Movies should be marked with the right aspect ratio. Often, it is marked right on the leader but, just as often, it is not. Sometimes, you can look the movie up on IMDB.com or other places to find the aspect ratio but you can't always count on that. In the end, you just have to be on the lookout and be ready to make adjustments on the fly.

This is one reason why I always insisted on pre-screening movies before showing to the public. It gives you a chance to discover problems like this and come up with a solution if you can. If you can't do that, just stay close to the projector for the first showing and be ready to fix a problem if you have to.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 03:22 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the print was 4 perf full frame, the aspect ratio would've been 1.37 : 1 (full academy aperture). As far as I remember, Kubrick wanted most of the stuff shown in 1.85 : 1 in movie theaters and The Shining was composed for exactly that aspect ratio.

For example: If you do this correctly, the helicopter rotor blades and shadow in the opening shot, should not be visible (except for a few frames that crept in as a cutting error).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 04:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that "A Clockwork Orange" was in 1.66:1 hard matt.

I didn't have to roll the FRAME knob too much to catch the hard matt edges on both top and bottom.

...and the same with his last movie, "Eyes Wide Shut" - was hard matted 1.66:1 and the same with the FRAME knob.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 04:31 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bottom line is that the matte (shape of the frame) on your actual print is not necessarily the one it is intended to be shown in. You will often find with 'flat' release prints that many shots have a 1.38 or even a full gate frame, but some processs shots (e.g. titles, dissolves, shots that incorporate CGI effects etc.) are matted to 1.85. That's because the movie was shot on a camera that had a a full aperture gate (because it's designed for use with flat and anamorphic lenses), and the shots that only needed timing in post-production were contact printed through every generation to the release print. The process shots, however, needed to be optically printed and/or have digital filmouts incorporated, and those introduced the matte of the actual ratio intended to be projected.

As others point out, if the aspect ratio the filmmakers want you to project it in isn't stated on the cans or leaders, it's either a case of trying to find it online, or making an educated guess. From the late '50s, Hollywood was using 1.85 pretty much exclusively. I can't think of any Hollywood movie that was actually intended to be projected in 1.66. 1.66 was used mainly, but not exclusively, in France.

Another complicating factor is that many features were made using the 'shoot to protect' technique. If, for example, you're shooting a movie that you know is going to be shown in theatres in the US, Europe and on television, you frame the action such that it can be shown in either 1.38 (without panning and scanning), 1.66 or 1.85 without the loss of vital action, even if you're framing for 1.85 looking its best. You're not going to be able to tell which just by examining the print.

Soundtracks:

We ran the print in A-Chain and noticed that is was mono (which would be correct). Question is, was the tracks on the print stereo with just the recording on the center channel?
I'm guessing you mean Dolby A-type?

You can tell whether a print is mono or SVA (stereo variable area) from a visual examination, but you can't distinguish between the different flavours of SVA. For example, this:

-

is a twin bilateral, optical mono track. Both of the two optical records are identical, and printing a mono track this way was invented in order to reduce noise compared to a single bilateral track (e.g. RCA Duplex). If you look through 10-20 feet of a typical print and the two tracks look consistently identical, it's mono.

This one...

-

...is stereo - the two tracks clearly have a different signal on them. There's no way of telling whether they're A-type without surround, A-type with, SR, Ultra Stereo, DTS Stereo or whatever. Given that The Shining was made long before SR was launched in 1988, then if your print has a visibly stereo track on it, then it's almost certainly A-type with surround (04).

Michael Cornish
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2013 08:24 AM      Profile for Michael Cornish   Email Michael Cornish   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several years ago I was a projectionist for a local Rep. house and we ran Creep show. When I was inspecting it I noticed a printed note on all the leaders matted for 1:33:1 so I showed it in !;33. The manager asked why I did that,that his dad worked for Showcase and that they showed it in 1:85. Showcase couldn't show it in 1:33 unless it was a matted print. I showed him the notice on the print, but he made me switch it to 1:85 for the rest of our shows. I felt that the director wanted to give it the "old style" feeling that was the reason for the note on the leads. Anyones feeling on that?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-20-2013 08:28 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always shown The Shining at 1.85. It looks fine in that format, no heads or titles are cut off, and there is no chance that lights or cables or other "undesirable" items may appear in the frame.

The prints that I have shown were all mono, although the DCP has a fake multichannel remix.

For a heated discussion, we could start debating the intended aspect ratio of Dr. Strangelove (which I have shown at 1.66).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 08:37 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My dealings with the production side are that hard mattes are avoided unless there is something to hide: mikes, cables,etc. In that case, 1.85 matte is printed.

I have alsways loved 'scope. It avoids all of that since you need it all. Louis

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-20-2013 09:59 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
For a heated discussion, we could start debating the intended aspect ratio of Dr. Strangelove (which I have shown at 1.66).
I guess 1.66 : 1 is correct. It's at least the conclusion of most debates about the subject. The 2009 Blu-Ray release also uses that same aspect ratio.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: