Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Last Technicolor 3D? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Last Technicolor 3D?
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 11-30-2013 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the last film released in Technicolor 3D, or any other 35mm film 3D process? (New movie, not a reprint of Kiss Me Kate!)

|  IP: Logged

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2013 11:28 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I tried to get people at IMDB to research this for me and
all they came back with was the last IB TECHNICOLOR Film done in the US. I'll try and get some more research on the 3D from them.

[From IMDB] GODFATHER 2 -1974

This was the last film printed in the US in the classic "imbibition" Technicolor dye-transfer process, which produced better color accuracy and longevity than color print films of the time. The British and Italian lines were not shut down until a few years later. The British equipment was purchased by the Beijing Film and Video Lab in 1978 and used to print Chinese color films until the early 1990s.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2013 12:01 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Steve is asking about the recent 3D on film process Technicolor introduced as a less-expensive option for theatres who had not yet converted to Digital Cinema.

To be honest, I haven't heard anything about Technicolor 3D in a year and a half, around the time of The Lorax and Wrath of the Titans.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-02-2013 03:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Steve Matz, there were IB prints made around the turn of the century. They were called "dye transfer", not IB though. Do a search of the archives and discussions will turn up.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-02-2013 09:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, there are British IB prints from the late 1970s (most notably, there are British IB prints of Star Wars).

Some of the equipment was sold to the Chinese, and there are Chinese IB prints (not Technicolor, officially, but using the same process) from the 1980s.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2013 07:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets not forget the I.B. revival of the late 80's, early 90's. Rear Window and a number of others were sruck in I.B. in a new small lab Technicolor set up... then quickly tore down...

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2014 09:54 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have an update on the status of the 35mm 3D prints using Technicolor OR Panavision 3D lens systems? When they came out, as a stop-gap effort for non-digital theatres, I seem to recall they were wanting a 3-year commitment. With film's lifespan seemingly speeding to an end this year, I just wondered how the supply or availability of current 3D features has been in 35mm. Thanks. [Shrug]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2014 12:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Far as I know that entire division of Technicolor has been disbanded. I know many of the technical people that were running it and they are all no longer with Techniocolor. Sadly, it came along about three or four years too late to do any real good. Many lenses are sitting abandoned in theaters and I still have a master 3-D lens kit myself.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-24-2014 01:42 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent mine back. It was never to be forever, only a stop gap. Worked really well IF you were totally committed to the standards. (I lit to 100 ft/lm on scope and the 3D was significantly better than digital 3D of any brand. Had 130 ft/lm on one job.) Louis

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2014 01:48 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you there Louis, done right, T3D did look fantastic!

Had they not measured the average silver screen hot spot, and done some 'inverse vignetting' for want of a better description?

I wonder what happens to all those lenses out there?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-24-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sent well over 20 sets of lenses back from various customers that went completely to digital. In the end the contract was meaningless because A. They were no longer supplying 35mm prints and B. the studios decided to release on digital only rather than on film because it was cheaper. They actually threatened a couple of my customers to pay up or else. My customers told them to go fly a kite because they couldn't supply any product. End of story. They never requested I send my kit back so it sits in the warehouse.

Technicolor has a huge warehouse east of Pasadena where all the lenses were shipped back to. It's all dead stock now and they've probably since written it all off as a loss.

With proper light levels and very careful set up it COULD look good, however the majority of releases did not because they were 2-D > 3-D conversions.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2014 02:34 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would really like at least one example of the lens to add to the colection here at the Museum.

Pete do you have any idea of who may be a good person to contact here in the UK to try and get hold of one?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2014 03:37 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave that with me Dick.... [Wink]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-25-2014 02:22 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A technicolor 3D lens popped up on Ebay a while back but it was taken down before the conclusion of the auction.
I'd love to have one for actual use!!

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-02-2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would Technicolor be adverse to selling off some of that dead storage? I know lots of collectors like you and Dick, me included, who would like to have one of these for their historic value, just like many got their hands on those Paramount 3D over/under convergers which seem to be no problem getting.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: