Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best Platter Available (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best Platter Available
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2014 01:37 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I already know the answer to this but I'll keep it simple.
I'm remodeling my booth and adding a platter.
Is there ANY better platter system to own than an AW3R? There's no need to answer unless you recommend something other than a Christie AW3R.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-21-2014 09:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. The AW3R is the platter to have. And don't let Guttag try and convince you into buying a Kinoton platter. It's not as good despite what he will soon be around to write.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-21-2014 09:52 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton platters are not exactly easy to find in the USA either.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-21-2014 09:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be pulling a Kinoton out of service shortly. I haven't decided if it's something to keep or not yet, kinda hate to send it to salvage though... I already a Miniwind and a full size Christie, next I'll need a warehouse.

I absolutely LOVE the Kinoton's pay out head design. But I HATE the lack of keepers on all the column rollers. It is also a bitch of a platter to have to troubleshoot.

So overall I'm going to have agree with Brad on the AW-3. There are so dam many of them available for basically free that are just sitting around in theaters... But get extra parts if you buy one because those will become scarce very quickly. And Don't leave the motors in contact with the decks for prolonged periods of time or you may trash out the rubber drive rollers. This was no big deal in theates that run film every day but it can be an issue if you let one sit in contact for weeks or months.

Mark

Matthew McBride
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2014 10:02 PM      Profile for Matthew McBride   Email Matthew McBride   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that this adds, but I am on board with the AW3R too. I plan to trade up to it very soon.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2014 11:51 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for the input. Out of the 11 theatres we owned and operated I only had ONE location with AW3's, but they were some of the first models. I remember them being trouble free for the 4 years we had that theatre.
I'll be picking up an AW3R and 3 spare motors.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-23-2014 06:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AW3 is absolute junk compared to a Kinoton ST200E. It really isn't a close call. The ST200E controls the film better, has a better control system, tensions the film better requires less service and the list goes on and on.

Is it better in EVERY respect? No...It took Kinoton a long time to provide feed and return rollers that were not based on Kinoton projector heights. The angle which the film leaves the payout head is a bit shallow. I also think the decks are a bit fragile to scuffing.

You show me someone that thinks Kinoton platters are inferior to the Christie and I'll show you someone that hasn't had to operator or service both for any significant amount of time. Also some just like the fact that the Christie allows one to tinker with it to tune it their way...Kinoton's are right...right out of the crate. You don't have to worry about having the right batch of drive tires, photo cells, LEDs or the aging of said parts.

If you do look for a Kinoton, remember to look for an "E" version. I know of where a couple are for sale now (East Coast).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-23-2014 10:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
You show me someone that thinks Kinoton platters are inferior to the Christie and I'll show you someone that hasn't had to operator or service both for any significant amount of time.
Over 25 years here Steve. I'm sure there are others with similar or more time that will back up the AW3 over Kinoton.

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2014 10:47 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve on this one. In 12 years and 15 screens, we only had a handfull of issues with the ST200E, mainly motor brushes after 10 years or so, and they were easy to do. The early pay out modules were prone to stress fractures around the guide rollors. The later ones with the round grab handle were a lot more solid. It did'nt matter what the print was like - warped, stretched, crinkled, off centre - you name it, they would run perfectly with excellent tension. I am not sure about the AW3, but you do need to have a 'motor run' signal from the projector for them to work.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-23-2014 02:00 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Right Steve!

I knew you could not resist. I ran and serviced these years ago and they were wonderful machines with great film handling but they did have some issues that would shut down a screen and none too easy to fix.

One was 270 that was a combination 35/70 plstter and the 35mm film tension was so tight I could not remove the ring. This was easy enough to fix though.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2014 02:22 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong AP-3

[Big Grin]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-23-2014 02:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly the AP-3 will probably be able to be supported easily longer. Louis

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2014 02:47 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve G.

Having worked on both Christie, Phillips/Kinoton and Strong over the last couple of decades the ST200 wins. The Strong is agricultural compared with the other 2. The AW3 wasn't a bad platter far from it. But we saw a lot of failed control cards and graunchy bearings.
The ST200 developed over the years into the ST200E, which is largely fit and forget. It's possible to fit a modern IR pay-out head on an old ST200 too.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-23-2014 08:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not classifying the ST200 and the ST200E together. Sam, was your incident with the ST200E?

Brad, in your 25 years of BOTH how many of those were with ST200Es? The AW3 is junk compared to the ST200E. The Christie AW series was always a knockoff of the Norelco/Kinoton. While Christie kept trying to fix their mistakes...Kinoton kept actually improving the design with respect to how it handled film itself.

Now I much prefer the last incarnation of Christie keepers and even their rollers...though the early ones sucked.

So again, how many years have your run the ST200E? Unlike the Christies, they were practically maintenance free.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-23-2014 09:39 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be a slow news day, kind of like discussing the rivets on the Titanic.

Pete is right about Potts/Strong being agricultural. Don't forget though Germans tanks were overcome by simple American hardware built by some of these same manufacturers.

My ST200's were the older ones with the usual problems like the payout clock motor coupling shearing off leaving no way to adjust the autoformer that regulated payout speed. There was also the occasional sticky relay resulting in the take up platter autoformer shorting out. Not cheap.

There really were not enough Kinoton platters sold in this hemisphere in the last 20 years to make a real comparison as to reliability. Kinoton always makes awesome goods but I did not care for having software for a platter. A platter is a true analog device that is an inherently self regulating device. The projector asks for film and the platter pays it out. The projector spits film out the bottom and the platter spools it up; what could be simpler than that? Whay muck it up with a software interface?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: