Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex XL Intermittents ?

Author Topic: Simplex XL Intermittents ?
Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2014 05:46 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody ever had or seen the Hi-speed XL Intermittent listed in their Parts book as G-4126.
In probably 30 years of Asking projectionists this; none have said they ever had any
anything but the Standard OEM G-4312 in their Projectors, Many didn't even know that
Simplex even made such an intermittent and listed it in their Parts Manual.

I even checked years back with the 2 Denver based Parts Houses(ACME was one) and
they said they had never ever had one in stock and weren't even sure that they were
ever made or avaliable even though it was listed in the parts book with an exploded
drawing of all the parts.

The only part that is the same as the STD Intermittent is the P-1577 Starwheel. The
Cam for the STD is G1837 (G4131 Hi-Speed) Intermittent sprocket is even different
G-2330 STD (G-4148 Hi-Speed) Main Drive Shaft & Gear G-1836 STD (G-4128 Hi-Speed)
The Main Drive Gear shows the same number on Both Units G-1828 But shows 2
different Flywheels G-1830 STD (G-4192 Hi-Speed)

Supposedly this intermittent had a faster pull down rate for better illumination but
that is speculation. I would just like to know if it was ever Made and maybe pulled out
of Service because of Problems,etc. It seems strange they would have kept it in the
Parts Ordering Book if they never were going to be able to supply them....

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2014 09:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed some over the years. Back in the midwest I had several drive ins that only had single phase power. Then, it was the only way to increase screen brightness. They ran fine with Estar Film and produced an awesome image. There were lots of probems with them running acetate film and with cement splices because of the extreme 5 to 1 acceleration on pull down. But this was before....

Once Strong Switching rectifiers came on scene I would have simply paralleled two small units and ran a 4kw lamp. Parralell rectifiers need to be perfectly balanced and with the continous adjustmet current level they had it was a cinch to do.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-24-2014 09:06 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it existed. The mechanism was quite complicated compared to a standard Geneva, service life not great, actual screen brightness advantage not overwhelming, and cost - either new or for a rebuild - high: you would likely save money replacing a worn one with a new standard unit and shutter. I don't think Simplex sold a lot of them: there were an awful lot of CC dual-shutter Century projectors for every XL high speed shutter version. I believe both were basically meant for drive-in use. The HSS Simplex would theoretically give you better light distribution without the centre brightening effect of the CC.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 01-24-2014 10:30 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran and serviced the high speed movement. Brighter of course as the math would show and the reduced size of the shutter blades which looked a bit like a bow tie.

I'd guess most DI's with XL's were high speed movements.

Damned noisy to live with for the operator. I'm sure there was more that could have been done noise wise as every once in a while you would come to a quiet patch of film and then it would go back to being noisy. Never got a chance to figure out why.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2014 11:04 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phillips also offered a high speed movement option for the FP7 called the super fp7
The massive drum shutter has two very small blades provided a sizeable increase in light but very noisey and rather hard on prints

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2014 04:08 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1966 I installed one of these in a new drive in, in, of all places, Anchorage AK,land of the midnite sun. As a new installation I had nothing to compare it with. All I remember, as Sam stated, it was noisier than hell.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2014 04:49 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rebuilt several of them. They were noisy like a cam pin noise even when properly adjusted. Mainly used in drive-in's to get more light with smaller shutter blade width.

Parts wore out faster as there were more moving parts and a light weight sprocket. Wolk used to rebush them for standard parts.
Dick

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2014 05:25 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tommy Hoyt in toronto (who invented the magnetic takeup and a peerless magnarc carbon changer) built many hi speed movements and did a lot of telecine movements as well

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-24-2014 06:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord.... Do you have any pictures of the Peerless Carbon changer? I've only seen Jet Arcs with auto carbon changer on them...

Mark

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2014 06:53 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of our techs has a tattoo of the parts breakdown diagram of a high speed intermittent. It doesn't show the part numbers though . . .

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-24-2014 10:02 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only just removed them. Still have one or two that we didn't convert to "normal". Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: