Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need help identifying and finding the right splicing tape

Author Topic: Need help identifying and finding the right splicing tape
JohnToo Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2014 10:34 PM      Profile for JohnToo Thomas   Email JohnToo Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

First: I am looking for splicing tape that I can use to put over the lens on people's eyeglasses. It needs to be clear enough to see through, without stripes, and colored yellow. Hopefully easily removed. If someone can help me identify a kind/brand/size that would be extraordinarily helpful.

Second: I need to find a source for a small quantity of this tape. We probably do not need more than the amount that would come on a roll the size of a scotch tape or electrical tape roll. Meaning, we don't need a 12-pack or case lots.

Thank you kindly for your assistance. I appreciate the mods approving my request to join so I could hopefully get some help with these questions.

Regards,
John

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 02-12-2014 10:41 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll bite. Why?

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 01:50 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Sam. But you do have American Cinema Equipment right there in Portland. Call Them.

JohnToo Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 01:57 PM      Profile for JohnToo Thomas   Email JohnToo Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Visual training aid for people. If I ask my question to American Cinema Equipment the way I asked it here does it identify what I'm looking for?

Also - I've already contacted a few big companies similar to the place in Portland and all I've gotten is the sound of crickets. They seem want big accounts, not someone with a vague question looking for less than a case of something.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 02:19 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Jack Roe in Nashville, TN. When I was buying splicing tape (before digital), they would sell it to me in single sleeves of about 5-6 rolls. Not very expensive at all. Jack Roe 35mm Booth Supplies

JohnToo Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 04:27 PM      Profile for JohnToo Thomas   Email JohnToo Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No luck. Salesperson said they do not have tape that can be seen through.

Back to original question: How do I identify this tape you can see through so I can ask for the right thing? Anyone?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-12-2014 04:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well first things first, you probably shouldn't describe it like this...

quote: JohnToo Thomas
It needs to be clear enough to see through, without stripes, and colored yellow.
So do you want to be able to see through it or not? Anything you can see through will NOT be "colored yellow".

JohnToo Thomas
Film Handler

- posted 02-12-2014 05:55 PM      Profile for JohnToo Thomas   Email JohnToo Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need to be able to see through it. So all the yellow tape is opaque?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-12-2014 06:27 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to be able to see through it, maybe you should check into some "gel" material such as would be used in stage lighting purposes. It comes in just about any color. It won't be sticky like tape but you could attach it to an eyeglass frame somehow.

Yellow tape is bright yellow so that it can easily be seen in a film pack...so by design, it can't be seen through.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-13-2014 07:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, some may consider the clear tape (Neumade/Film-Tech) to be "yellow" since on the roll, it does have a bit of a yellow/green tinge to it.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 08:43 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand. Why does it need to be "splicing tape?" If it is just clear transparant tape you want, you can get Crystal Clear HP260 tape made by Henkel (among others) that come in various widths and thicknesses. Like this: Crystal Clear Tape. If its wider tape you need, there's this: Wide Tape. I am already looking to see if any of these will make a good substitute for "splicing tape" when it no longer becomes available.

Won't any of these do for your application?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-21-2014 02:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have cartons of "Neumade" tape. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: