Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Who is showing film in 2014 by choice? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Who is showing film in 2014 by choice?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-02-2014 11:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subject says it. What venues are showing film (16mm, 35mm, 70mm, Imax, etc.) in 2014 for reasons other than the inability or unwillingness to pay for D-cinema equipment?

For the purposes of this discussion, let's include venues with D-cinema or other video capability that maintain the ability to show film and do so on at least a semi-regular basis. We can also include special venues that only show one film (e.g. tourist information centers) and nontheatrical venues (college campus theatres, museum theatres, etc.).

Feel free to post about your own theatre or other theatres or venues that you know are showing film on film.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-02-2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the theatres we service...

AFI/Silver in Silver Spring, MD: Runs film regularly in 16, 35 and 70mm and will continue to do so and has DCinema on all screens...it just depends on the title as to what is run.

Ambler Theatre, Ambler, PA: Digital Cinema is their primary but consolidated their Kinoton FP30E projectors so that a pair wound up on one of their screens. It is noted that they redid their booth wall from a single projector with a video projector to three sets of ports with two film projectors and DCinema. They have possession of a film collection so source material is there for film.

Campus Theatre: (Bucknell University): Not only didn't remove their film projector, they plan on adding a second this year with both 16mm and 35mm capability.

Cinema Arts Theatre, Fairfax, VA: Retained film capability on at least one screen and has run film since DCinema conversion. I do not know the frequency of it though. It is definitely primarily DCinema.

Colonial Theatre: Phoenixville, PA (same theatre featured in THE BLOB with Steve McQueen): Were 2-projector changeover before DCinema and still are. They run a mix of film and DCP. They have always catered to Retro, Art as well as sub-run.

Patriot Theatres, Colonial Williamsburg, VA: In the Visitor's Center, they continue to run 70mm for their signature film "A Story of a Patriot". They also have 16mm and 35mm projection. I do not know their programming to know how often the other formats are used.

DC Jewish Community Center, Washington DC. They retained their film projectors and DCinema projector merely replaced their A/V projector (actually they kept their A/V projector too. It is a very versatile theatre where what they need can be wheeled up and used in that space.

Goethe Institut, Washington, DC: They show 16 and 35mm film in addition to DCinema and conventional video.

Grace Street Theatre, Richmond VA (VCU campus): Runs 35mm

International House of Philadelphia: DCinema only added to its capabilities and they continue to run 16mm, 35mm in addition to adding DCinema to their "Video" capabilities.

Kimball Theatre(s), Colonial Williamsburg, VA: Still run 35mm film on both screens. Though they should obtain DCinema in 2014, film will be retained.

Library of Congress, Culpeper,VA "Packard Theatre": 16, 35 and 70mm film are its main forms of presentation. They have showings for the public every week, last I checked.

Lyric Theatre, Blacksburg, VA: 16mm was removed to make room for DCinema but 35mm remains. I don't know how often they have used the 35mm equipment since DCinema was installed in 2013

National Geographic, Washington, DC: Retained 35mm equipment as the DCinema projector merely replaced their existing video projector. The 35mm equipment is only used for festival like engagements.

National Gallery of Art, Washington DC: Regularly runs most media types on film...including slides, 16mm and 35mm as their PRIMARY media form. DCinema merely compliments their rep.

Roxy Theatre, Northampton PA: The owner (and Film-Tech member) insisted on keeping film capability with the DCinema conversion.

Roxy Theatre, Philadelphia, PA (aka Philadelphia Film Society): installed a pair of 35mm projectors with their DCinema in January 2014. Time will tell what their programming does with them. Thus far, they have been exclusively DCinema.

State Theatre, State College, PA: 35mm film with no plans for removal. They do cater to art/rep.

If I think of others, I'll post them. Most of the theatres above use Kinoton "E" projectors though Century and Simplex are represented as well.

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2014 11:56 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cottage Road in Leeds, single screen, though on a daily basis play DCP, we still retain our CInemeccanica V9 which gets a run each month, when we have our classic film night. If we can get 35mm prints will run that, though if the classic is digital we still run a collection of period ads, trailers and sales for that show on 35mm.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 03-02-2014 12:39 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Capri Theatre, Montgomery Alabama. We went DCP in January, but retain our dual projectors 35mm for films available on film. Just ran Inside Llewyn Davis on 35mm. We are supposed to get The Invisible Woman on Friday, but may have to bump that as The Book Thief (DCP) is doing way too well. Have a classics series that runs film and DCP. In The Heat of the Night this Thursday on DCP, Dr No later in the month on 35mm.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hyland Cinema in London Ontario. We went digital in November 2012 but kept both platter and changeover capability. Even try to keep upgrading. Just bought a Blue Star Anamorphic which turns out to be in need of repair [Frown] [Mad]
We only use 35mm for one off monthly classics at this point.
The last thing I went out of my way for 35mm was Django Unchained.
If it were totally up to me we would run more 35mm. [Frown]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2014 01:39 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wexner Center for the Arts -- Columbus, OH

Equipped for 16mm, 35mm and 70mm projection with 2 Kinoton projectors. 4K DCP 2D & 3D available.

They will show the movie in the best available format. Wide variety of programming is shown here.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-02-2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would expect special venues to have the capability of running film for a long, long time. I mean, why pull it? That unfortunately doesn't mean that as the real projectionists retire or move on that their replacements won't become film shredders.

I find mainstream theaters running film more interesting at this point in the game. That being said, the same thing is a concern as with the special venues. What's even more scary are these regular theaters that dig up a 70mm projector and suddenly think they can run 70mm properly. (Newsflash...you people don't know what you are doing and you are in all probability destroying the last of the best thing to ever happen to commercial cinema.)

Really the issue that will continue to get worse and worse with each year is an issue of an actual PROJECTIONIST, not some kid who thinks it's cool to watch the reels spin and calls himself a projectionist because he is able to get the film inside of the machine and put an image on screen.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2014 02:46 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several of the Smithsonian's auditoria have 35mm capability but film screenings are infrequent. I'm told they have Kinoton machines.

My contact there is a real projectionist -- changeovers and carbon arc from back in the day and 70mm experienced too. He's retired but does a part time gig with them.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2014 03:30 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On my patch.

Edinburgh Filmhouse. 3 Screens, DCP, 35mm, 70mm & 16mm
Glasgow Film Theatre, 3 screen. DCP, 35mm, 70mm & 16mm
Cameo Edinburgh. 3 screens DCP. 1 35mm retained.
Belmost Aberdeen. 3 Screen DCP. 2 35mm retained.
Kino, Glenrothes. 3 Screens DCP. 2 35mm retained.
Playhouse Perth, 7 screens DCP. 2 retain 35mm
Grosvenor Glasgow. 2 Screen DCP. 1 35mm retained.
Alhambra, Keswick, DCP & 35mm
Plaza Workington, 6 screens DCP. 2 retain 35mm
Zeffereli's, Ambleside. 5 Screens DCP. 2 retain 35mm
Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal. 3 screens DCP. 1 35mm retained.
Rheged, Penrith. 1 Screen. DCP, 8/70, 5/70 & 35mm retained.
Plaza, Stockport. 1 screen. DCP, 35mm (2 Westars, 1 Kalee with carbon arc + sound on disc all working!)

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-03-2014 07:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rick for jogging my memory...

From our Smithsonian friends:

The Freer: 16mm and 35mm film projection addition to DCinema, 16mm is infrequent at this point

American History Museum's Warner Brothers Auditorium (formerly the Carmichael), has both film and DCinema...the film equipment was installed at the same time as the DCinema for a complete renovation.

The Hirshhorn Ring Auditorium: 16mm and 35mm

The National Archives (not a Smithsonian, I know but in the "museum" theme from a visitor's standpoint): 16mm/35mm film with DCinema.

The MPAA Theatre in Washington DC 35/70mm projection alongside DCinema (4K). I believe their film showings are very infrequent but it does happen.

As to Brad's VERY valid concerns about projectionists...the "popular" film theatres from my list(s) (ones that run film regularly)...the average age of the projectionists are around 50. As such, there is a bit of "life" left in them. Places like the NGA have the means to train younger people in the skills they need, including 16/35 projection and their standards are VERY high. I believe one of their newer techs in the AVS department is in his early 30s, for instance...so you have a bit of longevity there, personnel wise.

I'll admit, however, some of the sites on my lists have "projectionists" where they were not well trained and I cringe at the thought of some of them running archival prints. One site I was called to to "Fix the Projector"...when I found nothing wrong with the projector, I asked them to thread up and show me what they are doing. If you could have seen my eyes it would have looked like it came out of a cartoon (with the eyes shooting out with an Ahooga-horn sound). There is some very scary stuff out there...particularly in government...where jobs are assigned or worse, bidded out via an A/V package. That is, rather than hire new government employees, the government will take bids to run their A/V equipment throughout a facility...sounds good on paper as it stimulates private sector jobs, keeps us tax payers from supporting benefits...etc. But it is real bad for having qualified projectionists...there are no means to ensure quality standards.

Then there are the people at other government facilities where the projectionists do it out of love, clearly...the take extremely good care of the equipment and the films and treat them both like the special things they are.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-03-2014 05:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
But it is real bad for having qualified projectionists...there are no means to ensure quality standards.
And right now the only way this is "measured" is "do they run reel to reel or platter?" Obviously that's absolutely ridiculous, as the method of presenting the film isn't nearly as important as the operator handling the print. Sure the reel to reel rule keeps them from chopping the leaders (in theory), but bad film handling is bad film handling. If the existing 35mm archive prints are to be kept in a condition that will make people in the future not view them and say "man, film was really crap" then these half-assed "projectionists" need to go away.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2014 07:10 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
these half-assed "projectionists" need to go away
Nope.

Sorry, but this hits a button for me. That's only partially true.

Having been in a union world (actually two...) where *proper* training was *denied* to the new guys, I say that there are/were plenty of people who would have flourished and been productive members of the projectionist community, if only the isolationist jerks who were more interested in protecting their own little piece of turf had gotten off their self-serving behinds, and trained the next generation.

Are/were there lazy operators who don't give a flip? Of course there are. That's true in any trade whatsoever. Just look at some of the hacks that call themselves plumbers. Yes. *Those* people need to find another line of work. But don't over-generalize. It isn't fair at all to blame those who care, but never found the resources to advance their own professionalism. And that covers a *lot* of people. It happened to me and everyone anywhere near my age range. (late 20s - early 30s at the time)

That blame falls squarely on the generation before them, with hardly any qualification. It's absolutely no wonder at all that exhibitors saw no value in having real projectionists upstairs. The numbers of the competent shrank and shrank. After an ever shortening time-frame, what good were the overpaid button pushers upstairs? I'd feel the same way, if I were in their shoes. I'm convinced that *that* was the death of the Projectionist. No perceived value. And by the time the "mentor" class got through, the companies were damn right to dump them all, too. Technology certainly helped the problem along, but even before that was all handed off to ushers, even that was being handled stupidly by paid operators who never were taught any better.

Personally, I have both a high school and college background in stage lighting for legitimate theatre. I won awards for my designs every year I was there. I really enjoy seeing, or putting on a good show. I loved it! Being a projectionist, at least I could still stay just that close to what I loved. But with no pathway to learn what I needed to advance my value to the craft, well... that's why I got out decades ago. I was stagnating as one of those hacks, myself.

So don't be so quick to blame the hacks. Instead, blame the people who made them into hacks.

Here endeth the rant.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-03-2014 07:31 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the fact that most locations now show DCPs routinely but film only on the occasion actually have a better chance to have skilled projectionists - because there is no economical need anymore to employ anyone to run the daily shifts on film. Instead, there is time now to find and educate those who are willing.

- Carsten

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-03-2014 08:07 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago's Music Box Theatre (an art house) can run 16mm, 35mm, 70mm, and DCP.

Gene Siskel Film Center (part of the Art Institute of Chicago) can run film or digital.

At the University of Chicago, the Max Palevsky Cinema (home to the DOC Films series) can run both. Also at U of C is a brand new two screen facility, The Reva and David Logan Center For the Arts, that can run film or digital on both screens.

The Northwest Chicago Film Society runs film by choice exclusively. Their current home, the Patio Theatre, has DCP projection so I guess that qualifies for this list.

The Northbrook (IL) Public Library has 35mm projection and has used it regularly. They are undergoing an upgrade that includes a DC installation. I don't know if film projection will be retained.

I do not know the status of Block Cinema at Northwestern University. Certainly they will get DC if they don't already have it. I'm sure they would retain film.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 03-04-2014 12:05 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
I would say that the fact that most locations now show DCPs routinely but film only on the occasion actually have a better chance to have skilled projectionists - because there is no economical need anymore to employ anyone to run the daily shifts on film. Instead, there is time now to find and educate those who are willing.
If they have no economical need to employ anyone to run daily shifts, there won't be any economical need to train someone to do the same.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: