Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DSi 8M channel problem

Author Topic: DSi 8M channel problem
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2014 12:04 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a used DSi 8M and just installed it.

Most everything is fine, with one exception: the right surround signal does not appear to make it to the amplifier.

The 8M is connected via serial cables to a CP-650 with a CAT 790, and to the amplifiers with HD15 video cables. On the 8M, switches 1-4 are off, 5-8 are on, A-H are off.

When the processor output is selected on the 8M, all channels are present (injecting pink noise). However, when switched to the amplifier outputs, the right surround channel is silent.

I see no activity on the amplifier level meter for the channel.

To rule out the cable, I swapped it with a working one. I also connected the surround outputs to a different amplifier that I know has working channels. The same problem manifests. I then connected the left channel to the amplifier I was using for the surrounds, and both channels are active.

So, I think I've ruled out the 650, the cables, and the amplifier; which just leaves the 8M.

Before I return the unit, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious, specifically with the dip switches on the 8M.

Can anyone verify that my switch settings above are correct? Or have any other thoughts as to what may be the issue?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-08-2014 07:05 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have one or two 25 ways cables from the 650 to the monitor? I guess you're in 5.1.

Can you just flip OFF and ON again switches 7 and 8 to make sure they're engaged? Make sure the amps are off when you do it.

Anyway, if you have signal from the monitor when in processor mode, that shouldn't be a problem, but I'd try it anyway.

You could also try to connect the amp using the phoenix connector to rule out the HD-15 socket on the monitor.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2014 08:35 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco
You could also try to connect the amp using the phoenix connector to rule out the HD-15 socket on the monitor.
Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow.

-David

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2014 06:19 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Marco. The phoenix connector worked fine. It's a shame the HD15 connector is on the fritz, as that means additional cabling for the monitor.

-David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: