Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 low digital input

Author Topic: CP650 low digital input
Leonid Dragilev
Film Handler

- posted 03-20-2014 02:14 PM      Profile for Leonid Dragilev   Author's Homepage   Email Leonid Dragilev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
i have a CP650 with cat790 installed. We used it in external 6 chanels analog mode. recently i tried to switch to digital. I got an AD convertor and AES transformers. But when i send -20 dB signal to AD i get about 12 db level drop comparing to analog chain. AD shows -20 and analog is aligned as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2014 04:26 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What make/model is the D/A convertor?

Check the wiring, if it's not a Dolby DMA8/DMA8+ it may not be pin to pin. Also check the -V arrangement [Wink]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-24-2014 06:24 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could he be using a mag input? If so, there is a reversible header that affects gain.

Leonid Dragilev
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2014 01:07 AM      Profile for Leonid Dragilev   Author's Homepage   Email Leonid Dragilev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am using 3rd party AD converter with AES to AES-id adaptor wired to option card connector. What is V arrangement? The same setup works flawlessly at another room..

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-25-2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't mention the brand/model of the adaptor we cannot help you! Shouldn't a cat 790 be able to accept AES without external converters?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 06:35 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What he says he's doing is using a A-D converter to convert an analog audio signal to AES, then using the CAT790 to input the AES data. One would tend to ask why.
Anyway, I think any level change is due to a difference in defining the reference level between the Dolby and the A-D converter. The CP650 format 11 analog inputs don't have gain controls (don't think so, anyway) so they have a set reference level (it's in the Dolby manual somewhere) so a known input signal level will give a known SPL in a correctly aligned cinema at fader 7. Someone - AES? EBU? Dolby? DCI? - has defined the 0dB level for the digital audio. I believe that 100% modulation of an AES/SPDIF signal shows as +20 on the Dolby CP650 level bar display. I haven't seen anything go over +20 from digital input, anyway - and a test tone CPL I have, supposedly recorded at 100%, shows as +20 on a 650 w/790.
My experience with A-D converters is that the 0dB reference varies. To avoid clipping, various reference levels are used with various amounts of headroom above "0dB".
I think the issue is that your A-D converter's -20dB corresponds with Dolby's -32dB. Just convert 12dB hotter?

Leonid Dragilev
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 01:34 AM      Profile for Leonid Dragilev   Author's Homepage   Email Leonid Dragilev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,you are 100% right! i aligned AD with sine wave and got exactly the result you were writing about. thank you for the help!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 02:54 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leonid, apologies, I did read your post the way you wrote it and assumed it was a typo.

You're converting analogue to AES, to put into a CP650. Why not just use the CP650 6 channel analogue input? I think I would invent some switching/patching if I had multiple sources before I went to the trouble and expense of conversion to AES.

Leonid Dragilev
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 03:14 AM      Profile for Leonid Dragilev   Author's Homepage   Email Leonid Dragilev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete, I did it because I need 7.1 at first place and because of noticeable 50hz hum of analog inputs due to unbalanced nature of CP650 inputs. We are using device at mixing stage .

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2014 06:23 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK now that makes sense to me. [beer]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 03-27-2014 02:08 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your CP650 show the letter "N" or "U" in the top-right corner of the front-panel display?

I understand that you're using the Cat 790 card but the Cat 778 Digital I/O Option card may be similar.

The 778 offers two settings for Headroom Configuration:

N = Noise Floor Optimization
U = Unity Gain

Never mind -- just read the 790 manual -- looks like this won't help you. But I will leave this here anyway -- some future user can stumble onto it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-29-2014 10:19 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where does the analogue signal come from in the first place? Any D-Cinema server will output AES, why not feeding it straight into the Cat 790??

Leonid Dragilev
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2014 12:24 PM      Profile for Leonid Dragilev   Author's Homepage   Email Leonid Dragilev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We cannot feed cp650 from a server because we are mixing studio and do not own one. Analog signal comes from console, then balanced to unbalanced active adapter. Anyway we are fine now so thanks everyone

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: