Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » FPC Inc. being closed down

Author Topic: FPC Inc. being closed down
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-26-2014 10:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just heard from a reliable source (who has given me permission to pass this news on, but does not wish to be identified as the source) that FPC is to close down completely. Their facilities will continue to operate until mid-May.

Just in case anyone isn't aware, FPC is a Kodak subsidiary company which destroys used release prints and recycles the polyester, with facilities in Mountain City, TN and Milan (Italy). They offer a high level of security and elaborate anti-piracy measures at these facilities, and so most if not all of the major distributors send their end-of-life prints to them.

Presumably the studios are going to have to make alternative secure disposal arrangements for as long as any of them continue to do any 35mm releasing at all. I'm guessing that the volume of used prints needing recycling has now declined to the point at which these recycling plants are simply uneconomic to keep open.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2014 11:10 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more nail in the Coffin of Eastman Kodak.Either a direct division of the company or a subsidiary closing their Doors regularly. I'm afraid this Iconic Pioneer is pretty much doomed.
Even if there are Independents still shooting on Film;it wouldn't be enough to be profitable in the Future. Kodak will be along side names like Oldsmobile,Pontiac,etc.Unless their absorbed by some company like Microsoft or other Deep Pocketed Company their just buying time [uhoh]

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2014 03:53 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't FPC also the division that manufactures molecular sieves for archival storage?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-28-2014 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will always be remembered for their PTR rollers. Such a wonderful invention. Screw Filmguard. PTRs were were it was at. They actually gave film that "film look" by making sure each and every frame was covered in dust and debris that people associate with film.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 05:50 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody should come out with a "Digital Film" add-on that adds dust specks to digital images. (And then later, improved version 2.0 would add changeover cues and make it look like a splice went through every 15 minutes.)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 08:43 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can already get plug-ins for FCP and Adobe Premiere that simulate the "old movie" look by adding digital scratches and dirt. Ironic, isn't it - archivists use state of the art software to remove visual artefacts from the films in their care, and then TV program makers and other footage licensors then use state of the art software to put them back again!

Mitchell - good point - FPC certainly sold molecular sieves, though I'm not sure if they actually manufacture(d) them or if they're badging a product made elsewhere. A quick Google search gives the impression (though I can't find anything definitive) that they were made at Kodak Park, at least at one point. I must confess that this angle on the FPC closure hadn't occurred to me - that the supply of sieves might now be an issue. I'll ask a couple of archive contacts - watch this space.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-28-2014 09:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
You can already get plug-ins for FCP and Adobe Premiere that simulate the "old movie" look by adding digital scratches and dirt.
I know that ... I was thinking of an add-on for digital projectors. I'll bet if such a thing was "tweaked" enough, it would fool some people who think they are film "purists."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-29-2014 02:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those plug-ins for NLE's never look much like real film damage. They have scratches that only wander back and forth horizontally and there are never changeover cues or splices.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-31-2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start a list of people willing to "destroy" film prints for the good of the industry. Please specify how many prints per week you are able to accept.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-01-2014 06:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about magnetic sound recording film? That is pretty important for archiving film soundtracks....

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-01-2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pyral still make it, according to their website.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: