Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question About 1916 (!) Projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question About 1916 (!) Projector
Ted Schaar
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2014 08:41 AM      Profile for Ted Schaar   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Schaar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m writing a story about early movie theaters in my hometown of Janesville, Wisconsin. One of the things I’m trying to figure out, decipher, or interpret is the following from an article (attached) about a then-new theater called the Beverly that appeared in the *Janesville Gazette* on April 20, 1916: “Two projecting machines will eliminate any pause between reels; the Beverly will be the only picture theater in Janesville with two machines and also the only one with a direct electric light converting system…” The part I don’t understand is “…the only one with a direct electric light converting system…” I'm hoping someone here might know what this is referring to. Thanks, Ted
 -

|  IP: Logged

Konrad Schiecke
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2014 08:58 AM      Profile for Konrad Schiecke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Refers to a direct current arc lamp system. Others of that era used ac arcs.

Ted Schaar
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2014 09:03 AM      Profile for Ted Schaar   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Schaar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Konrad. Are there advantages of a direct current arc lamp system versus an AC system? Would viewers notice any improvement in the look of the film image?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-31-2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Direct electric light converting system" = what we would now call a rectifier.

quote: Ted Schaar
Are there advantages of a direct current arc lamp system versus an AC system? Would viewers notice any improvement in the look of the film image?
High intensity carbon arc lamps need a low voltage, high current DC power source to work at all. The essential point this story is trying to make is that the projectors are equipped with high intensity carbon arc lamps (the technology was essentially invented by Elmer Sperry in the early teens, and started to be used in movie projector lamphouses at around the time your theatre opened), not gas/chemical illumination (e.g. limelight) or lower intensity, AC-powered arcs.

In short, it would be like a theatre advertising that it had 4K laser projection now - the state ot the art in imaging technology.

Incidentally, are you aware of the Center for Film and Theater Research at the University of Wisconsin-Madison? I'm guessing that their document archive might have material relating to film exhibition in the state which could be relevant to your research.

Ted Schaar
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2014 02:31 PM      Profile for Ted Schaar   Author's Homepage   Email Ted Schaar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, Leo.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 03-31-2014 05:28 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did they avoid shutter flicker with an AC arc?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-31-2014 05:36 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that they didn't, and that they didn't care. In those days, the illusion of a moving image was so remarkable in itself that a flicker or strobe effect was just accepted as coming with the territory. So when the DC, rectified current lamp came along and got rid of a lot of the flicker, it was sold as being a step forward, which indeed it was.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-31-2014 10:05 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo. I see no errors in your process.

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2014 05:21 AM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having ever run a machine on 60Hz supply as in USA I cannot comment... But on our 50Hz supply in Australia the flicker or more correctly the strobing of the AC fed arc timing with the 24FPS shutter would produce a slowly changing intensity of the screen light.
The quick and dirty fix was to wind a few turns of the old fabric type insulation tape onto the motor drive pulley and slightly increase the speed to around 25FPS and the strobing all but ceased.
In those days as well the slight increase in speed ever so slightly improved the top end frequency response and had barely any effect on the sound of the actors voices.
The later higher frequency rotary converters available took the arc AC frequency up to about 400Hz I think it was and problem solved....but cost a lot.
The insulation tape trick was cheaper and very popular amongst AC mains arc users [Wink]
Lindsay

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-01-2014 06:20 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
How did they avoid shutter flicker with an AC arc?
Maybe just crank at 15fps? Assuming 60Hz power and a 2-blade shutter, that should do it. But wasn't DC municipal power available at that time, too? Why not just use that?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-01-2014 07:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original low intensity arcs had a very large diameter carbon and as such the thermal lag tended to eiliminate a lot of the flicker
By the 40 Ashcraft came out with the cyclex which used ac 7mm carbons and a 400 hz mg set

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2014 12:08 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the early days, for AC incandescent and AC arcs, the use of three bladed shutters(at silent speed 15-16 fps)increased the cutoff from 30-32 cycles to approx 48 cycles thus there was still some flicker but more so there was the slight variation in the light overall (variable light output as the shutter would interrupt the AC crossover) And of course there was an additional loss of light on the screen. However, 3 bladed shutters had one larger blade that barely covered while pulling film down, the other two 'cutoff blades' were smaller and the shutter only lost approx 5-8% more light than a conventional two blade. Once sound speed was established, larger DC arcs were being produced so the two blade shutter was the standard and still cut off at 48 cycles. Thus it was above the avarage person's flicker thresh hold.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2014 01:51 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
the technology was essentially invented by Elmer Sperry in the early teens
Sperry stole the invention from Heinrich Beck (b. September 20, 1878, d. August 17, 1937). Deutsches Reichspatent, number 262913, to Körting & Mathiesen, Inc. of Leutzsch-Leipzig, September 13, 1910. A perfectly working prototype was presented to the German navy in 1912.

Beck got stuck in the U. S. A. at the outbreak of the war and could only return home in 1920. The American patents were sold to GE.

http://www.becklaser.de/heinbeck/hbeckframeset.html

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-05-2014 11:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! He has certainly slipped under the radar of the mainstream technological history books. Has any substantial biography or paper been published about him in English? I'm also wondering if a similar situation emerged in France and Germany with high-intensity carbon arcs as did with the Tri-Ergon optical sound patents: that the American manufacturers were severely limited in their ability to sell into the European market, because the technology had essentially been invented independently by others at around the same time, but whose patents protected them in much of Europe but not in the US (hence US-made variable density sound cameras being virtually unheard of in mainland Europe).

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2014 06:24 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
By the 40 Ashcraft came out with the cyclex which used ac 7mm carbons and a 400 hz mg set
I used to work at a theater that had a pair of old Cyclex lamps & MG sets in the
basement. I still have the manuals. The Cyclex lamphouses ran at 96hz.(not 400hz)

You can find quite a bit of interesting info on the old Cyclex lamps if you
look through the 1939-40 issues of International Projectionist.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: