Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra 80 Lamphouse

Author Topic: Ultra 80 Lamphouse
Jay Culter
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2014 08:43 AM      Profile for Jay Culter   Email Jay Culter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,
At our office years ago we bought an Ultra 80 Lamphouse with heat filter and 5K 3 phase power supply model. We no longer have a need for this item and where looking to sell it. My question is does anyone know what would the value of this item, I didn't really find anything online. Secondly, does anyone know if there is shop, such as a used cinema store that would be interested in the Ultra 80 Lamphouse in the Chicago land area or somewhere online?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-01-2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will find more luck listing it in the "For Sale" section. However, you will find that the market in the film world for it has diminished to near zero. Perhaps if it was converted for "Gladiator" use as a follow-spot...though those normally top out at 3KW, it is the same lamphouse.

It is sad but the facts are, there are a bazillion of those and other lamphouses that are just being scrapped for recycle value.

Jay Culter
Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2014 03:55 PM      Profile for Jay Culter   Email Jay Culter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve,

Thank you for the response. That is really sad it makes sense now when I was looking I could not find them for sale. I will try my luck in the for sale section.

Have a great day!

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-01-2014 10:07 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, just out of curiosity, you said you have this at your office. Not a movie theatre? What did you use it for? Just wondering.

Steven J Hart
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Steven J Hart   Author's Homepage   Email Steven J Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An acquaintance of mine has a printing shop that has been around for many years. They used a carbon arc light source for making negatives for offset printing. I'm guessing xenon light sources eventually replaced the carbon arc in this use.

Donald Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2014 05:59 PM      Profile for Donald Brown   Email Donald Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jay:
If you are interested in parting out the unit, please e-mail me at: doncbrownjr@verizon.net
I know of a theatre that is looking for parts. It still has two of these in service going into the 2014 season.
Thanks,
Don Brown

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-02-2014 06:35 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a printing context, arc light sources are typically used to expose the printing plates, not the litho negatives. Not that it makes any difference here, but I figured that I should make the clarification.

Many print shops are now using computer-to-plate systems that bypass the negative stage altogether (which was annoying to me recently when I was looking to have some Kodalith negatives made for an unrelated project).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-09-2014 02:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is still a Kodalith equivalent film that's available. Of course now I can't find the link that someone sent me the other day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: