Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bummer, no DTS for Captain America 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bummer, no DTS for Captain America 2
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2014 06:59 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my print of Captain America 2 (codename "Freezer Burn"). The boxes did not include DTS discs. Called Technicolor and they said not DTS discs are available for this feature.

I knew this day would come, but I wish it had waited until I did our conversion. Now I have to install and connect a BACP DSTR20 I have sitting around. I need to do this tonight to be ready for our 8PM on Thursday.

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2014 08:40 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it has been happening. I can't remember which one it was, but one of our last big features at Plaza didn't have it(Thor 2, Hunger Games 2, Hobbit 2, one of those) among a bunch of smaller titles.

*le sigh*

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-02-2014 11:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too surprised by this news. I wonder if some movies still getting DTS discs made for 35mm prints are getting them produced on CD-R rather than mass replicated CD-ROM.

How many 35mm release prints are still getting SDDS tracks included? Sony hasn't made any new SDDS readers or processors in over 10 years. I wonder how many theaters still running 35mm have SDDS systems that are running properly.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 12:31 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Davod, I think this is just Disney being cheap. I understand Technicolor told you that there is no discs, can you verify that the timecode is in fact not printed?

@Buck, I am surprised both Catching Fire and Hobbit 2 did not have DTS available, it sure is amazing that Warner will make a 70mm IMAX blow up for each but they won't make available DTS discs for the 35mm prints.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2014 01:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many of the 35mm screens left are running DTS sound. Can't be all that many.

Also, the presence of timecode doesn't necessarily mean there are disks. Sometimes the labs just default to print the timecode whether there is a disk order or not.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 06:52 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would timecode be created in the first place if they are not going to make discs?

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 07:45 AM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has been happening for quite some time now. Time code or not. No disks being produced. Keep calling Technicolor. Sometimes they have them on a request basis. Can't cost that much to make them! The exhibitor's cost has not been reduced even though the print quality & amenities (DTS Disks) have been reduced. Wonder when they will remove the optical track?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 10:08 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I remember reading here in the past (I think it was a DTS employee actually) that sometimes timecode would be printed even if no discs were produced at the time of release to leave the option open for future creation of discs. DTS is (was?) used as a way to 'dub' a movie into another language without having to make all new prints.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 10:42 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin
DTS is (was?) used as a way to 'dub' a movie into another language without having to make all new prints.
That's just one of the things that was/is great about the whole DTS design. That wasn't its primary purpose, but a definite benefit.

And the ability to grab the timecode to automate lighting cues was fun. I have a special set of DMX lighting cues that play in sync with the DTS Sonic Landscape tag. Guess those days are over. [Frown]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-03-2014 10:54 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This goes back to the issue of replication and why I was asking if theaters were receiving mass produced CD-ROM discs or CD-R discs.

It doesn't make any sense from a cost standpoint to pay for having a CD stamper mold created unless you're going to have a replication run in thousands of discs. Most movies require a pair of DTS CD-ROM discs. These replication set up costs weren't such a big deal when movies were having 2500 or more 35mm prints ordered for a standard wide release. They're more difficult to justify for only a couple hundred or few dozen 35mm prints.

Mass CD-R duplication is another alternative. The process isn't as fast as CD replication, which could be a problem with some movies doing post production work up until days before the scheduled release. Turn around times will be critical. Which vendor do you use? How well can they be trusted with the data?

Does Datasat have any of its own in-house CD-R duplication capabilities? "Desktop" devices designed to reproduce a few CD-R discs at a time are relatively inexpensive, but it would take a long time to produce a couple hundred or so discs. Bigger mass duplication machines are available, but expensive.

Maybe this is another call to let theaters running 35mm prints with DTS/Datasat sound download the CD ISO files and burn their own discs (or copy onto the internal hard disc of a newer DTS/Datasat processor). It seems pretty stupid at this time to be playing 35mm movies in optical analog if it can be avoided.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 11:46 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I just meant one of those didn't have the discs, not all three. I just can't remember which it was.

It came with a note in the box saying something like "Sorry for the inconvenience, but no DTS discs were created for this feature, go fuck yourself"

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 12:34 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionsgate and Warner Bros. are both still licensing Datasat Digital Sound for their features - Catching Fire and Hobbit 2 both had discs available. It is true that Disney opted not to create discs for Captain America, though.

For small production runs Datasat will produce CD-R discs in house, but the threshold for doing a glass master is much lower than suggested above. It varies based on the schedule, but we'll usually do a glass master and production run for anything over 150 disc sets or so, which is still most titles these days.

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2014 12:57 PM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's just one of the things that was/is great about the whole DTS design. That wasn't its primary purpose, but a definite benefit.

And the ability to grab the timecode to automate lighting cues was fun. I have a special set of DMX lighting cues that play in sync with the DTS Sonic Landscape tag. Guess those days are over. [Frown]

David, would be able to verify if there is timecode printed on the print?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-03-2014 02:05 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What surprises me more than missing DTS CDs is that there are still 35mm prints being made. I thought it was over.
Peabody&Sherman have been the last 35mm prints in germany.

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-03-2014 02:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No studio has said "it's over" yet except Paramount and even they have backtracked a bit. (That's the way it is in the U.S. at least... the situation could be different in other places.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: