Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Mixed Optical Formats

Author Topic: Mixed Optical Formats
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 05:24 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First time I've ever noticed this.
We have a 35mm print of 12 O'Clock High. The optical track is variable density. Except for the final battle scene, where it changes to variable area. It's not a mixed print as the change takes place in the middle of reel six and goes to the middle of real seven. I haven't looked at other reels to see if it happens in other battle scenes.
Was this a common practice? did VA work better for loud noises?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 08:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is that the final scene involved some complicated mixing down of multiple channels, and that this was outsourced to a post house that used a VA sound camera to produce the final negative; but that the rest of the movie was recorded in-house on VD equipment.

The movie was made in 1949, just before mag film and/or tape became the widespread norm for original recording and mixing in post-production (i.e. the production workflow evolved to the point at which "burning out" the optical track neg was the very final step, and the only one in which optical technology was used).

It was made by TC-F, which was a Western Electric (i.e. VD) studio. So RCA (VA) technology was probably used in the mixing of that one scene for a specific reason. VA was much more resilient to duplication through subsequent generations - in particular, poor timing or densitometry control in the lab could really screw up the gain and headroom on VD tracks. So if there was complicated mixing to be done, it makes sense that the production company and/or the post house involved might have bitten the bullet, paid RCA the eyewatering licensing fees they charged for the use of their optical sound technology (in Britain it was £20 per 1,000 foot reel of release print (598 UK pounds in 2012 adjusted for inflation, so around USD $1k - I'm guessing that their US licensing fees would have been similar) just for that one scene, but not paid for the better technology in the rest of the movie, where they didn't need it.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 09:05 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, thanks.
A problem I have mentioned before is how shrill some old mono optical prints sound on our system, despite trying to tweak it away. Sometimes, however, they sound just fine. This one sounds just fine. I wonder if it is the VD track, or that's just how things played out.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-05-2014 09:55 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cross modulation distortion was usually the problem with shrill distorted mono sound. It was the product of the soundtrack either being under or over developed. It affected the throughs of the track first. By definition never perfect, just close.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 10:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And VD was far more susceptible than VA.

In some ways, the difference between state-of-the-art VA (which means RCA Duplex during the period we're talking about) and VD is similar to the difference between an audiophile LP and an average CD. When it was good, VD could sound very good; but it required much better quality control in the lab, and depended on a totally clean power supply to the exciter lamp in the projector and critical tolerances in the slit azimuth. If either of these slipped below spec (e.g. slight overexposure or underdevelopment of the print, or a tiny amount of AC leakage into the exciter) it sounded shyte. Because, as its name suggested, VD used differences in density between two fixed points on the film surface to encode the modulation of the signal, that difference needed to be recorded and read accurately for the system to work. VA, on the other hand, measured where that difference in density was placed on the film, not how big or small the actual difference itself was. The lateral alignment of the photocell in the projector was more critical, but the other factors much less so.

The reason why Western Electric and the studios that were aligned to them stuck with VD recording and mastering throughout the '30s and '40s was patents and money, basically: RCA had the superior technology and charged top dollar for it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-06-2014 02:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VA also had the advantage of ground noise reduction in quiet passages.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2014 05:48 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starting in the late 1930s Warner Bros. was combining variable area and variable density optical tracks to control volume in the theatre. Doing preservation work on a 1938 short subject, CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD, I think. I noticed the original track negative used density for dialog scenes, and area for musical numbers.
Recently, for a Hollywood SMPTE meeting about special effects, we borrowed a preservation print of SPAWN OF THE NORTH (Paramount, Academy Award winner for special effects in 1938) from its current owner, Universal. In preparing the print to use a section of the big iceberg sequence, I noticed the one reel carried three different kinds of optical track: density for dialog, unilateral area for moderate action, and duplex area for the big crash of the icebergs. This reproduced extremely well on a modern sound system.
This was so the production company could control the theater sound volume by making tracks that would transmit different amounts of light to the photo pickup cell.
It is easy to imagine why Fox would have used a similar technique for a picture like 12 O'CLOCK HIGH, with a lot of dialog, but some very loud airplane battle sequences.
Also, WB's sound department received a technical Academy Award in, I think, 1937 for combining density and area tracks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: