Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fader issues with CP 500 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fader issues with CP 500
Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 09:53 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having trouble with a CP 500. The fader setting is moving on it's own. There is also a remote fader connected.

This is an adult run theater, so no one is fiddling with anything. My first thought is to disconnect the remote fader and see how the processor behaves.

I have another processor, so what should I be checking?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 11:44 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disconnected the remote fader. Either doing that, or power cycling the processor seems to have fixed the problem. I guess we'll see.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-20-2014 11:45 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a really common problem with 500's. You can sometimes clean the pot successfully but you have to get the cover off and clean and squirt electronic cleaner and see if it helps.

Otherwise you need to find a new/used door. Dolby no longer supports this device. BACP does repair support on some items as possible but you won't like the price.

Probably has nothing to do with remote but to be sure disconnect it.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2014 12:17 AM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

Thank you for the comment.

I wondered if the issue was with the remote fader or the main fader. I figured if I disconnected the remote, I would isolate the problem.

The remote fader is in the concession stand, so it's likely more dirty than the booth.

I have another processor. I just don't want to install it. If this continues to act up, I'll buy a CP750 and only use the 500 for film.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 01:25 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had to replace a good dozen doors due to this issue with the CP500 during my film years...including the eight softkeys failing and display acting up.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 05:26 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital fader is an off the shelf item. I am really disorganized after the sale of my building, but it is possible that I saved a few.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-21-2014 06:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know about this issue on the CP500 (never seen it myself, though), but has anyone had this sort of thing (fader changes slowly by itself) happen on a CP650? I heard about this secondhand, but did not see it myself. This particular CP650 has three (yes, three) cat. 779s, so I suppose that disconnecting them would be the first troubleshooting step....

(Oddly, I have never personally seen any of the major issues with the CP500--the memory dump, the bad fader, or the bad LCD/buttons. The only issue I ever had with those is the occasional line in the LCD.)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 11:18 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Travis,

The door is a snap to change so try using the door off the other 500. Just some philips screws and a flat ribbon cable. No software to deal with, just power the processor back up.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2014 11:45 AM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

If it screws up again tonight, I will go swap the front panel. Am I correct though, that this could be the remote, since they're both active?

Louis,

If you find a fader let me know.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 08:57 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The front panel fader is likely the bad one as it gets a lot more use and also full of dirt from the fans in the front panel

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2014 11:10 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The processor acted fine today for their two shows. He'll let me know tomorrow.

I don't know the history of the remote fader. I bought it used a couple years ago. It's six feet from a popcorn machine, that's why I assumed it might be dirty.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 11:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After blowing out the fans and dust from the cards, pull the power cord from the 500 unit, pull all of the cards, using the card hook pull device mounted to the inside wall, out then reinsert the cards and plug the unit back in and power up the system.

Amazing how this can clear up many CP500 issues.

-Monte

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-22-2014 05:47 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
has anyone had this sort of thing (fader changes slowly by itself) happen on a CP650? I heard about this secondhand, but did not see it myself. This particular CP650 has three (yes, three) cat. 779s, so I suppose that disconnecting them would be the first troubleshooting step....
It happens. Same setup: Three remotes (plus Crestron touch panels).

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2014 08:23 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a week without any problems. I will reconnect the remote and see what happens. I tried to spray the pot, but am not sure anything got inside it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-28-2014 06:01 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a conventional pot. It is a digital counter that counts by 8s,

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: