Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie AW-3R Center Payout Question

Author Topic: Christie AW-3R Center Payout Question
Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2014 10:56 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm setting up my AW-3 and I have around 25 different center payout modules to choose from. Most have the usual three plastic rollers in the center but I have several that have 2 plastic and one metal roller. I'm assuming the metal units are the older ones. Should I use the payouts with the three plastic rollers?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2014 11:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Stick with 3 plastic GREEN rollers. Also don't get a brain with the older style stripper posts on it. The two in this drawing show the old type where if the film has any curl to it at all it can cause a scratch down the center of the film.

-

This picture shows the good kind. (Just barely visible)

-

Also stay away from the short payout arms. The longer arms almost reach to the edge of the black center feed plate, which is what you want.

At some point when you visit I'll go over the various settings and practices for you.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-21-2014 05:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The metal roller...was actually a later incarnation. It was one of the things that combated static by grounding the film. It was normally placed as the last roller that left the centerfeed. I preferred them over the plastic ones as it turned true since it had something other than delrin for a bearing surface. It would lessen the bounce. in fact, use of the MUT rollers for flanged and the metal flangeless throughout would yield a very stable feed from platter to projector.

Stay away from the black rollers though. They never turn true.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-21-2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had a problem. Then again I never threaded like so many people that drag their fingers through the rollers instead of gently sliding the film into them. I can see what you mean by using the MUT roller though.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-21-2014 02:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And remove the dam spring inside the center roller!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2014 03:43 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, it's tough to see what you are referring to when comparing the top drawing with the bottom photo, which also happens to be at a completely different angle than the drawing. Could you describe in a little more detail what it is that should be avoided?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: