Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 75th Anniversary for Polarized 3-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 75th Anniversary for Polarized 3-D
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2014 10:26 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
75 years ago, the New York World's Fair unveiled the World of Tomorrow. One of the most popular exhibits was the first black and white polarized 3-D film.

IN TUNE WITH TOMORROW was shown daily in dual-35mm at the Chrysler Pavilion. Sadly, this landmark film does not survive in 3-D. However, NEW DIMENSIONS, the 3-D follow-up produced for the 1940 season does survive and we have restored it from original 35mm Technicolor elements.

Thank you to Leonard Maltin for this wonderful article: http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmaltin/celebrating-3-d-on-its-75th-birthday

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-21-2014 06:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not realize Polaroid 3-D and I have been around exactly the same amount of time time, Robert. I was about twelve years old during the 'Golden Age of 3-D in the early fifties and I tried to see as many 3-D movies I could and saw pretty much all of the ones that played in Honolulu and feel modern 3-D movies are not as good as the dual projection film version of the fifties. Current 3-D has only backward depth while 3-D films of the fifties had both backward as well as forward making it possible to have the urge to reach out and touch objects that is only a few feet in front of me.

I just obtained a 3-D HDTV a little over a month ago and now enjoying it very much. I have never seen DIAL M FOR MURDER IN 3-D until now with my new TV and enjoyed it very much along with HOUSE OF WAX ,THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and many current 3-D movies such as AVATAR, HUGO, THE GREAT GATSBY, and 3-D conversions of TITANIC, JURASSIC PARK and THE WIZARD OF OZ. I want to thank you for making the effort to compile many rare 3-D shorts and trailers on Blu Ray and already looking forward to obtaining a copy when it is released this Fall.

-Claude

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2014 12:23 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am excited for the 3D Blu-ray of shorts. Claude I think its incredible the amount of cinema history you got to experience. Cheers!

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 05-23-2014 03:24 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
Current 3-D has only backward depth while 3-D films of the fifties had both backward as well as forward making it possible to have the urge to reach out and touch objects that is only a few feet in front of me.
The "pop out" effect is still commonly used, but most 3D productions seem to limit the use to a few effects. I guess it's actually for the better, because:

- It's generally regarded as a gimmick. Many of the first iteration of the "digital 3D" movies featured a lot of those effects. IMHO they primarily belong in a theme park ride, not a feature film.
- The over use of negative parallax (in your face 3D) will increase eyestrain.
- Those extreme pop-out effects are also prone to ghosting artifacts, sometimes destroying the intended effect entirely.
- Objects floating "in front of the screen" will feel small. For example: If you have a space-station floating in front of your face, it feels more like a model.
- Those pop-out effects loose much of their effect once they have to cross the sides of the screen.

That's why most 3D productions tend to treat the screen more like a window and not like a nonexistent barrier. For a really immersive 3D effect, we need bigger screens that envelope more of your field of vision. Also, movies need to be shot differently, much more like those IMAX docmentary movies. But I'm not sure if I really want to see every feature length movie this way...

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2014 04:53 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the 1950's 3-D productions were very mindful of the stereo window with few off-screen "gimmicks" and are vastly superior in quality to the 1980's 3-D films.

As the late Dan Symmes used to say: 3-D movies are like the circus. They're fun when they come to town but would you want to go every week?

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-23-2014 03:02 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Liberty Theatre in Honolulu was the only first run house to play 3-D movies in the fifties. It is very interesting to note the fact that there were no 2-D versions of 3-D films playing in theatres at the time as far as I know. You either saw the movie in 3-D or not at all. The only exception I know was HONDO, DIAL M FOR MURDER, MISS SADIE THOMPSON, and KISS ME KATE. I know there were a few others but I cannot think of them at the moment.

Yes, most of the movies at the time used 'in your face' gimmicks in 3-D, but there were a few that did not like INFERNO, DIAL M FOR MURDER andMISS SADIE THOMPSON. I only saw DMFM recently in 3-D on a Blu-ray Disc and MST in 2-D on DVD and the both did not have objects coming at you. The only exception was the DIAL M FOR MURDER title protruding out from the screen. I actually enjoyed the gimmicks used in 3-D movies in the fifties. Seeing blades of grass and native spears protruding out at you when they were looking for Lions in BWANA DEVIL was fun to watch.

-Claude

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-23-2014 08:13 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel, I am afraid I will have to differ with you about your comment the use of of forward depth perception in current 3-D movies. There is a possibility you had never seen dual projection 3-D because everyone beside myself who has seen it and love it will also not agree with your comments. Current 3-D movies that are considered the best in the format such as AVATAR, HUGO, GRAVITY and a few others although very good does not even come close to the quality of dual film projection 3-D of the fifties in my opinion.

One of the main reason 3-D failed in the fifties was was out of sync projection causing eye strain and headaches but I never experienced those problems.

-Claude

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have loved to have seen some of those old 3D flicks in dual film 3D. The best pop out effects I have ever seen is the MuppetVision 3D short-film attraction at Disneyland Calfornia Adventure.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-26-2014 09:15 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jarod, The 3-D presentation at Disneyland was fabulous when I saw the Michael Jackson film , CAPTAIN EO many years ago. It was dual projection 3-D and unlike the fifties films which was 35mm, the Disney presentation was projected from 70mm. It actually was the best 3-D I saw and the effects was exactly like fifties 3-D.

-Claude

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2014 11:48 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when JAWS 3 came out in Polorized 3D. The Story was a joke and not even related to the first 2 Jaws but the 3D was pretty impressive in a few scenes. The most memorable is when they blow the Shark up at the end and the pieces look like they came out of the screen and were hovering above the audience mid theater. I remember observing the audience and most of them were looking up towards the ceiling rather than the screen.

Thats why if they had filmed the original 1975 JAWS in 3D it would have scared the Crap out of people even more than the 2D Version. The 40th Anniversary of JAWS is next year;I wish UNIVERSAL would do a re-release in Quality 3D.I'm sure the same audience would Jump at the same scenes they did back in 75...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i92HbFBdGFc

If you follow the instructions below the U-Tube Screen
you will see actual true 3d...

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2014 08:32 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude, I'm with you there; though not seeing any of the 50s productions, my first encounter of 3-D, that was polarised, was the Michael Jackson one at a theme park, maybe 25+ years ago, on a holiday with my parents which included a trip to Disney on the west coast (or was it Universal; we did both that year!)

It seemed to be the most amazing thing I had seen and unfortunately nothing ever has appeared to come close to how I remember that looking.

The next closest experience was an IMAX in Canada (possibly vancouver) a couple of years later, where they were pouring metal in a foundry.

Perhaps it was because I was young or because they were specifically made for 3D; but everything since that I have seen as been appeared to be a disappointment.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-27-2014 03:31 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved 3-D movies since I first saw them in the early fifties. Here are my ratings based only on my personal opinion of all the 3-D process I have witnessed since that time. My rating for fifties 3-D is a solid 10. I rate the 'Over/Under' process of the eighties a 4 because of weak 3-D effects and a very dim picture due to both right and left eye image were projected with a single projector when viewed with Polaroid 3-D glasses. Disneyland's Michael Jackson 3-D movie is a 10.5. (The half point is for 70mm) Original 15/70 IMAX 3-D documentaries such as UNDER THE SEA gets a 9. Digital IMAX gets a 7.5 and current digital 3-D in Real D gets a 7 and Dolby 3-D gets a 6.5. I might want to add about poorly converted 3-D movies such as CLASH OF THE TITAN and many like them. They all get a 3. Properly converted ones such as GRAVITY and PACIFIC RIM gets a solid 7.5.

Based on what I am getting with my new 40 inch Samsung 3-D HDTV and watching a Blu Ray of the IMAX film UNDER THE SEA, I score it a 8. All other good BDs such as HUGO, AVATAR, TITANIC and others get a 7

-Claude

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2014 04:04 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Claude. I will have to look up that IMAX title; Hugo certainly has been the best looking Blu-Ray I have observed on my Epson 3D projector at home - not far behind was Tangled; but some parts were better than others.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-28-2014 02:24 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
Beside UNDER THE SEA, other IMAX 3-D titles on Blu Ray you will enjoy for content and 3-D effects include DEEP SEA, HUBBLE 3-D
and BORN TO BE WILD . There are many others but these are the one I have and saw. There are several from the '3-D Golden Age' that you should look into. they include HOUSE OF WAX, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, and DIAL M FOR MURDER. Both HOUSE OF WAX and CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON has a lot of 'in your face' effects but DIAL M FOR MURDER is very subtle in 3-D except the main title card in the beginning. I did not see the Alfred Hitchcock film in 3-D in a theatre but only on a BD disc when I got my 3-D HDTV. I saw the other two in a theatre in 3-D during their first run. The 3-D on both of the movies is fantastic but no way as good as the original theatrical 3-D . The movies had much more forward and backward depth when I saw them at the Liberty Theatre. Another good one if you like animated 3-D is FINDING NEMO. It was created and originally released in 2-D but the 3-D conversion makes the movie look like it was natively created in 3-D.

-Claude

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2014 03:30 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool Claude. I missed the Captaion EO show when I was there. I think that was the only 3D attraction my wife and I didn't see. Unfortunalty I think it is no longer there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: