Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX Cimarron original mix restoration (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: THX Cimarron original mix restoration
Mark Friedrich
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2014 04:35 PM      Profile for Mark Friedrich   Email Mark Friedrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing by best to restore the original trailer. I will make
v2.2 of the restoration.

That's because the ending isn't in the correct pitch on v2.1 as seen here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8kiqFnglsg

So now the job will be with myself with the force of
Connor Wilson.

(By the way, the Marcus Friedrich credited in the video is me.)

Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2014 05:09 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi folks, I thought I'd chime in too.

It's really debatable judging from the micro cassette recording that surfaced around here about 3 years ago what exactly is going on in the audio. The descending synth tones and especially the wormhole 'sequence' are the most obvious as they are the loudest in the recording. What follows is what we believe is actually the symphonic version everyone is familiar with at a higher pitch, then a de-tuned Deep Note. The end is quiet in the micro cassette recording, so we cannot really tell. Marcus suggested it was wind sound effects from the Skywalker Sound library, I suggested it was the higher-pitched symphonic version ending.

I'm not that happy about v2.1 re watching it because the Deep Note climaxes too early. As well as a pop in the audio after the 'wormhole.' This is because I can no longer find the original audio for the wormhole I collected, but someone made a backup of it on Soundcloud, so I used that, and extended it with the micro cassette audio containing the second descending synth.

I have never seen this particular version of Cimarron in a theater, or an official DVD or video from THX or even Lucasfilm. Just a snippet of it from a Star Wars doc made for TV in time for the special editions.

Any suggestions from Film-Tech veterans who ran or saw this mix is highly welcomed. This restoration project birthed here anyway.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2014 05:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That audio on the "restored 2.1" is not accurate at all. It never had the "deep note" people associate with the Broadway logo.

I've got a 70mm print of this somewhere. When it surfaces I will create a dedicated 5.1 from the 6 track mag.

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2014 05:57 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback, Brad. I trust your judgement.

So can anyone describe the layout of the original mix? If there wasn't a Deep Note, what was in place of it? There's obviously a crescendo that rises.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2014 06:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is, but it's not deep and it's not particularly loud like the wormhole.

Mark Friedrich
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2014 10:49 PM      Profile for Mark Friedrich   Email Mark Friedrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will try to remake the audio for that final sequence without the deep note using Sony Vegas and FL Studio!!!

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-19-2014 08:50 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would think the people at THX (or Logitech, aren't they the company owners now?) would make at least some kind of professional restoration effort to make proper DCP and HD versions of these classic trailers.

Cimarron is one of my favorite THX trailers. The stems of the original Cimarron mix have to be in storage somewhere. The other, more commonly heard mix with all the James Horner like music was ported into Dolby Digital.

I think the few THX certified theaters left in service ought to be playing restored versions of the Cimarron and Grand trailers, in addition to the iconic Broadway trailer. They're a big part of THX branding. The Tex trailers are a little dated now (I think they're synonymous with the Toy Story movies). The Amazing Life THX trailer is kind of cool, but it just doesn't have the "in your face" impact of those classic trailers like Cimarron.

If fans are having to go to the trouble of trying to piece together some kind of restoration of a trailer like Cimarron it should be a very clear clue to the people at THX that they need to get their act together with regard to these trailers.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-19-2014 12:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have requested DCP's of legacy trailers from THX and Dolby several times since 2010. For some reason, they're not interested in making them available.

Mark Friedrich
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2014 12:20 AM      Profile for Mark Friedrich   Email Mark Friedrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks, now i've discovered that the noise at the end of the microcassette recording is not even wind SFX from Skywalker Sound, and not even high-pitched symphonic version ending.

In the original trailer the part that says
"The Audience is Listening. Lucasfilm Ltd. Sound System", that part is silent. Restoring what i thought now

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To bad most multiplex-o theatres today don't put on some sort of digital sound logo before the movie is shown. Some cinemas in the SF Bay Area will run the Dolby Atmos logo and It very impressive with the wrap around effect, above right left and back. I will never forget many years ago when I first heard the new Dolby Digital® in 5.1 at the El Capitain Theatre in Hollywood CA and they played the Dolby Digital train logo, the old theatre shook with very impressive deep base and first time used split surrounds. Many people in the audience looked around and ducked for cover. I have not heard the Auro system yet as we have no cinemas yet in SF with It. My friend Dale at Metropolitan/Corwin Theatres in Santa Barbara CA will be putting this new Barco Auro sound system in some select theatres in the area soon as they use Barco projectors. How does the Auro logo sound? Does It fill the room with 360 sound? We are waiting for the first 4-D theatre installation coming at the end of this year to the San Francisco area I hear. I don't think AMC, Cinemark or Regal will put this in one of their cinemas so It leaves some private single screen cinema in the Bay Area to put this hot new idea in and make money from all the tourists that visit. Rumor is Alan at Oakland's Grand Lake Theatre in Oakland may put It in or Paul at Cinelux Theatres in the San Jose/Santa Cruz area will have It soon in one cinema. Paul was the first guy to put in D Box in San Jose CA. Do they use their own stereo surround sound type system for 4-D?

Mark Friedrich
Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Mark Friedrich   Email Mark Friedrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recreated the original Cimarron trailer's crescendo using audacity and a sound at the following site linked

THX Crescendo source

Later i will post the results of the crescendo

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2014 02:43 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Restoration version 2.1.5 to tide you over. This was a more experimental revision than anything.

THX Cimarron v2.1.5

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-22-2014 03:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, again that's not it. Trust me. The only thing that sounds pretty close is the wormhole sequence. I've ran this version hundreds of times.

I'm curious why you are even trying to do a "restoration" without any of the original elements?

I'll transfer the 70mm 6 track mag discretely whenever the trailer pops up. I've got it attached to one of my prints but I don't recall which one.

Mark Friedrich
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2014 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Friedrich   Email Mark Friedrich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i even redid the ending part on FL Studio (i noticed that THX used minimoog for making the music at the end of the original mix)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bKVi4T2woPTUhHdkF5TWM5bWs/edit?usp=sharing

Connor, My remake of the THX Wormhole (thats sounds very closest to the original) is here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_bKVi4T2woPN29OV0lnRlhpR2c/edit?usp=sharing

Next time use my wormhole. Put some echo in my wormhole.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2014 01:59 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we'll have to wait for Brad's recording to get it right but so far, Connor's version is what comes closest. Again, sorry that my original recording was that bad, it was done in a cinema with a "voice" cassette tape recorder.

You also seem to forget an element: the DOLBY STEREO logo in the lower left corner of the picture appearing at the end (when the Lucasfilm copyright notice appears in the lower right corner). It's the classic DOLBY STEREO (A-type) logo on 70mm prints, and it's the DOLBY STEREO SR "Spectral Recording" logo on 35mm prints.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: