Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Should I keep XP around? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Should I keep XP around?
Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-24-2014 07:11 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two laptops. The main one is newer, and it runs Windows 7. And then there's an "extra" one that I like because it has a built-in COM port. That laptop is a Dell Latitude D520 running Windows XP.

Should I upgrade the older one to Windows 7?
Will Win7 slow it down, or will it run okay?
Is there any setup software (Dolby, etc) that can't run on Win7?

In other words, is there a reason to keep Windows XP?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2014 08:07 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep the older one with the real com port on XP. Until you test each program you might use, there is no telling what might not work right in Windows 7. I just had to connect up to an SDDS unit a few days ago...but I had XP and a real com port available. [Smile]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2014 08:29 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in exactly the same situation, Manny.

I have several useful diagnostic and LED sign configuration programs running
on my old laptop, many of which do not have Windows 7 or 8 versions or
drivers avalable. It's also loaded with dozens of PDF equipment manuals.

Although it's used mostly off the WWWeb, I've beefed up the anti-virus
& firewall programs on it, 'just in case'.

If something does happen, I have that entire drive mirrored on a backup device, so
I can restore the whole system & data if necessary. But for now, I have no plans
of dumping the older laptop. I just have too much useful 'stuff' on it.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-24-2014 09:39 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You folks might want to look at Virtual Box. The price is right (free), it works really well and it's dead simple to set it up. At least it is on Linux; I assume it would be much the same on MS Windows.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-24-2014 09:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many reasons to keep XP, but don't use Explorer as your main browser since it's now vulnerable for virus attacks and similar.

In fact, delete it, or delete the shortcut so it won't be used anymore

Use other browsers, especially Firefox and Chrome since they're still receiving protection updates from Google and Mozilla.

I'm the same: DELL Inspirion 6000 with XP PROsp3. I did try Win7 in the thing, but XP ran faster.

But, could switch over to Ubuntu 14.10 with excellent results.

EDIT: after looking at the virtual box website, be kind of interesting to load OS/2Warp and have some fun with that old program once again.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2014 11:05 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, older computers won't run W7 very well or in some cases even allow you to load it. W7 is written for completely different chipsets then XP is written for.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-26-2014 11:28 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've had completely the opposite experience with W7 on older machines. I recently installed it on my father-in-law's two computers: a desktop from 2003, and a laptop he bought in 2007. It installed without any problem, and I was able to find drivers for all the onboard stuff and peripherals. If anything, he thought that W7 was actually faster and more reliable than XP in both cases (though this is probably at least in part because the XP installations it replaced had many years of patching and crud accumulation behind them). I did put more memory in both machines (upgraded from 500mb to 2GB in both cases), but DDR2 is now so cheap that this only cost around $25.

Vista was the opposite extreme - there were so many bits of hardware for which there was simply no driver that would work and other software problems. Replacing XP with Vista on a machine was a crapshoot as to whether it would even barely function. In contrast, all the XP to 7 conversions I've done have gone fine, with only minor glitches if any.

Agreed with the general point that upgrading any one software component risks breaking others that depend on it, though. For that reason I'd be inclined to take a system image, e.g. using Clonezilla, before then rewriting the partition table and starting over with W7 (and if it were me, I'd create two partitions and set up a dual boot, e.g. using Easy BCD, into Windows plus a desktop Linux package - for one thing, the latter is very useful for reading ext2 DCP drives).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-26-2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you keep a notebook or desktop with XP around, make sure you keep its installation as clean as possible and have the installation backed up with something like Norton Ghost.

If you perform a clean install of Windows XP on an old computer you're not going to get any patches from Microsoft. They removed everything related to Windows XP from their Windows Update website.

I found this out the hard way. We have an old PC controlling a vinyl cutter. Its registry was getting corrupt, bogging the computer down to a crawl. So I performed a factory reset, which wiped the c: partition and re-installed WinXP clean. The first thing I did was check Windows Update. All of the existing security & performance patches, including service packs 1, 2 & 3 were all gone.

Not only did that make the old computer more vulnerable to attack via the Internet, it created additional software issues. I had intended to install an Adobe Creative Suite CS4 package on that machine. Unfortunately it requires Win XP SP3 to run. That old PC is old enough I don't think it would run Win 7 productively at all. Plus I didn't want to spend the money for a Win 7 disc for such an old machine. So I wound up installing a couple now ancient Adobe CS2 generation applications on it (as well as Flexi Sign Pro 7).

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2014 02:11 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have loaded W7 on some older P4 machines with no problems. As long as you have about 1GB RAM things should be fine. These machines actually run better on W7 than they did on XP.

So far I have only found one machine that I couldn't get the video driver for the onboard video, an old E-machines, and the video defaults to 640 X 480. I need a PCI video card to get that one working at better resolution since it doesn't support AGP.

Anyone have a PCI video card they'd like to part with?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-26-2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a D520 myself. If you put WIN7 on it, you bury it. Keep it as it is. I actually have a couple of older DELLs with COMs on them on XP and I hope they keep as long as possible. With this usage profile in mind, future missing software updates are irrelevant.

Bobby - there is an offline updater available, installing all updates automatically from a local filesystem. A day before MS ended XP support, I ran a last update to make sure I have every update for XP and Office 2003 downloaded.

It sits on a dedicated USB-Stick now. You can install a virgin XP and have it updated to the very latest patches within half an hour without an online connection.

- Carsten

Shawn Arndt
Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Shawn Arndt   Author's Homepage   Email Shawn Arndt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very informative thread here. Thanks for sharing all of your experiences as it helps us noobs keep up a bit.

[Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-13-2014 10:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kicking this back up has anyone here tried Virtual XP? It's a free app from Microsoft that that allows you to run XP inside of W7 or 8... Seems like a cleaner way of dealing with the occasional need for XP.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2014 06:00 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is what I do. I have XP mode installed for those times I need a 32-bit OS to talk to older equipment with older programs. Heck, series 1 DLP program doesn't like to stay operating with Win 7 64-bit...but has no problem staying up living in XP Mode.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 08:22 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will it talk to COM ports properly?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2014 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thus far...yes on most counts. It passes physical hardware between the operating systems and you can define things too. That said, I've had issues with things like the JSD80 connecting up. USL stuff drives me crazy on their older RS232.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: