Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie AW-3 Platter photosensor replacement

Author Topic: Christie AW-3 Platter photosensor replacement
Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 5 platter Christie AW-3 that has an issue. It looks like the photosensor "upgrade" kit was installed in this platter system, however one of the "discs" was not changed to the new type(the crescent discs, I'm sorry I don't know the name of them). The old discs have a lot of black and little white holes, the new disc just has numerous black lines. Right now the platter with the old disc has no differentiation between 0 and 50% on the payout assembly, then jumps to almost full speed(surprisingly it seems to take up without any issue). I know is isn't the timing, the platters with the new discs I can time perfectly. Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for changing these assemblies? I know the kit came with one but it isn't here. My current goal is to simply remove the top platter and use it's assembly to get the bottom four working. We only ever really have one 35mm print in house at a time, I'll never need all five platters.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2014 10:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the sensor disks for sale on Ebay... Item number 271328881104. He has both types of these available.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2014 11:33 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ethan Dutcher
Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for changing these assemblies?
It really 'isn't rocket science', as they say.

There are detailed 'exploded parts diagrams' in the manual for the AW3R, which you can
find in the "warehouse" section of this website.

That should be all the info you need to help you figure out how do do what you want to do.

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2014 11:47 AM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may want to check your LED & Photo Cell (192847-002) to be certain it will trim. Pull platter, take out hub, take off old filter, remount new filter, and have fun re-tensioning spring. Put it all back together. Wala your Done! (Calming music in the background helps too.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And while it's apart check the single ball bearing to make sure it isn't bad... binding or sticking... they do have a bad habit of getting crud inside them because they are only shielded bearings... not sealed. And they should not be greased, just oiled! Clean the lower Teflon bearing as well and the shaft. Do not overtension the spring... use just enough tension to make it consistantly return slowly to the stop position. You can test it outside of the arm but be sure it is sitting level. Follow Brad's LED adjustment procedure and you're all set.

Mark

Ethan Dutcher
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2014 12:17 PM      Profile for Ethan Dutcher   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can take apart the hub no problem what-so-ever. Putting it back together with the correct orientation and the spring actually working is what I'm currently running into trouble with. I cannibalized the filter disc from the top platter and put an old disc in to try to figure out how to get it back all together properly. II had a TON of trouble with that spring trying to get it back to a point where it will actually pull the assembly, so I'm not certain how to get that done correctly. I got the hub back in to a point that looks correct, I can move the disc freely from underneath and it pulls back with the spring. It looks exactly like the other hubs. But if I put the payout assembly in, the control arm on the payout assembly immediately goes to the 100% mark and won't move backwards. Obviously I am missing something with the proper orientation of the components of the hub. The instruction manual has a picture of everything. However it has zero details on how to get it all aligned, I've just been going on how the other platters look from underneath.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-28-2014 01:34 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds to me that the disc is not indexed correctly to the zero point. Either that or the payout assembly is misindexed.

Do you have the same problem with all of your payout assemblies?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-28-2014 02:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
His problem is very simple and he said it in the first sentence. He has the new infared LED mated with the older filter. That simply won't work. He MUST have a new filter with the curved lines in it, not the little dots to use that LED.

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2014 06:20 PM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Setting tension (Too much/Too little)on that spring is not fun. Pulling arm to 100% could mean spring is upside down or wound in opposite direction. Must be careful with hub plate orientation and spring stops on the filter assembly. I'll set it up & partially install it a few times making sure tension is right and, filter clears between LED & cell. Good cup of coffee & soothing music minimizes my frustrations when I need to work on that @#!! spring!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2014 01:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After you've practiced with that spring a few times you'll get the hang of it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: