Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reel to Reel Install (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Reel to Reel Install
Andy Jenkin
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Andy Jenkin   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Jenkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

Long time lurker here and finally I have a specific question (or more likely a few questions) I haven't been able to find answers to.

So, I'm installing 2 x Kinoton FP30-D projectors into a brand new small rep. cinema, and I need help connecting the rectifiers (Irem N3-X75DM) to the lamphouses. I've tested the three phase power on the input terminals of the rectifier and all three are active, but with just the thick red and black cables connected to the lamphouse terminals, the lamp will not strike. What is the simplest way of hooking them up (i.e. no auto-strike or remote on switch) to get the lamp to strike with the manual strike button on the lamphouse so I can check they are doing their job? The small on/off switch just above the terminal panel on the rectifier is not wired up.

Second small issue is that currently projector A will only run continuously if I keep the FWD START button pushed, as soon as I let go it stops.

These are lovely projectors in excellent condition and I can't wait to get them up and running. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andy

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 02:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamphouse requires probably in your case 220v for the fans and ignitor

Andy Jenkin
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 02:57 PM      Profile for Andy Jenkin   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Jenkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon. The power for these seems to come in via a multi-core from the projector tower. With the lamphouse on, if I push the igniter button I hear it trying to strike the lamp (but it can't), and the fans turn on also via this connection.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-14-2014 03:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the contactor in the rectifier pulling in?

Andy Jenkin
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 05:03 PM      Profile for Andy Jenkin   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Jenkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, could you explain?

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2014 05:12 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're Kinoton dealers for the UK and Ireland Andy.

The rectifier needs to see closed contact across its remote control terminals to put power on the contactor (relay) coil. The contactor switches the high current mains to the rectifier proper. You could use a simple toggle switch, but it's better to have the projector control them as it can shut the lamp off should one of the interlocks open for whatever reason.

On FP30Ds of most flavours the lamphouse and ignitor are powered from the projector, there's usually a pair of terminals in the base for controlling the rectifier. Where those are will depend on the vintage of FP30D and if there's any factory automation fitted. (It used to be a bit on an in joke that you never saw two Phillips/Kinotons identical, there's that many variations).

About the machine that will not keep running. The earlier centrifugal type film break switches were notoriously flaky, best replaced with the modern IR type. It could be expecting a closed contact from a platter, or it could have on board automation that is not letting it run. (Especially if ex Cineworld)

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 12:03 PM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Often there's a safety-circuit consisting of a microswitch and a cooling-fan switch in the lamphouse.
These would connect to the rec remote circuit, (Which operates on the main contactor relay) as a safety feature--no fan operation, no lamp power, lamphouse door open, same...

As has been said, the strike/igniter device will need its own mains supply.

Nice to see an Installation of 35mm--instead of the usual Extractions!

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Jenkin
projector A will only run continuously if I keep the FWD START button pushed, as soon as I let go it stops.
There is a film break sensor in either the last roller or guide post the film passes over before it goes
to the take-up reel.

I've never really examined this fail safe device on the machines I have in one of the screening
rooms I work at, but I beleive they operate using some sort of light-sensing technology.
(The film either blocks or reflects light, I'm not sure which, to indicate its' presence)

Try running projector "B" <WITHOUT> film. Does it exhibit the same symptoms?
(Having to hold the FWD START button pushed to keep it running)

If so, then try putting your finger over the holes in that last guide post. The projector should
now run as if it had film in it.

If the #1 machine doesn't behave the same way, then perhaps one of the cables or connectors from
the fail-safe sensor is not pushed in all the way at either the sensor or circuit board end
or else maybe you've got an actual problem with the fail-safe sensor, relay or logic board.

What Pete said in his post is also true. One of your machines might be 'looking' for an extrnal
contact closure. The FP-30's in the booth I'm at can be run as 2-machine changover, or we can
also use a 12kft tower. We rarely use the tower, but when we do use it, I know that if we
put the #1machine in the "tower mode" and the tower isn't turned on, the machine will shut down
unless you hold the START button in. So it apparantly needs some sort of signal or contact closure
from the big-reel-tower to work in that mode.

Fortunately, you've got two machines there, so if one is working you can compare wiring and
even swap parts with the non working machine if necessary to try & troubleshoot what's wrong.
If I recall, those machines are pretty modular, which should make swapping assemblies easy.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to find a circuit diagram for the FP-30's. I'm going to be
over at that screening room later today to drop off some stuff for a big film festival
happening at that location this weekend, so I'll take a look at my projectors & see if I
can come up with any other ideas 4U.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-16-2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pete Naples
It could be expecting a closed contact from a platter...
That was certainly the case in one place I worked in the early '90s. It had a pair of FP20s plus an ST200 platter, to enable both single-projector and changeover shows. Which projector "talked" to the platter was selected by a switch on the platter's control unit, and with the two connected, the projector would not run unless the platter was set to run mode (or you kept your finger on the start button). For a changeover show we'd have to cheat it by using some rope to hold the platter's take-up tension arm in the retracted position. I made the usual beginner's mistake of failing to do this on one show, pressing the button on the motor cue and then panicking when nothing happened.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 02:33 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Alistair said , if you're using a Kinoton lamphouse there is a micro switch which prevents the lamp striking if the side panel isn't properly seated. Caught us out recently at a festival . Where is your cinema?

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-19-2014 01:45 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, two DP-30s...sweet. I hope you are also installing a DCI digital projector as well because, as someone who is going out of the rep programming operation, I can tell you, there is very VERY little film to run and it's getting worse every day. We don't have DCI compliant digital projector yet, and we simply can't find enough good prints to run a full program any more.

There are fewer and fewer titles that we would want to run that are still available on film, not to mention the constant bickering with distribs who are not interested in supplying prints that won't bring them "big" bucks. And how many times can a rep house run LAWRENCE OF ARABIA and CASABLANCA? And how many times can one apologize to an audience for a crummy film print presentation?

At some point we just had to draw a line and say, we won't put that kind of a degraded picture on the screen anymore. And we won't run optical discs. A film-only cinema is becomming a very, very hard row to hoe, even for a rep house.

Get thyself a DCI digital projector, Andy! For a small screen, you can get an "all-in-one' compact DCI unit at a much lower inital cost than what the big ones go for. We can't even do that as our screen is too big.

Andy Jenkin
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2014 12:58 PM      Profile for Andy Jenkin   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Jenkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly thanks for all the responses, such a helpful resource is Film-Tech!

Regarding the closed contact across the rectifier's remote control switch, can this simply be jumpered across for manual operation (i.e. for using the manual strike on the lamphouse)? It would perhaps at least tell me whether the rectifier and lamphouse are working as they should for now, and I can figure out the proper remote circuit later on.

The projectors do have a film presence sensor between the last two rollers, which when wrapped with a bit of tape should be fooled enough, so there must be something else at play here. There is a large remote operation switch panel, which when plugged in makes the projector do the opposite, i.e. it runs and won't stop until you turn it off (it overrides all the front panel buttons). We don't plan on using this however.

There does seem to be a few too many variables with them for me to have got my head around it all, but I will have to keep playing around until I can get them to work.

Could anyone send me a workshop manual? I can only find the first half of it posted anywhere online, would be a great help!

@Jonathan Wood, it's just off Brick Lane in London.

@Frank Angel, it's a unique decision for sure at a time like this, but the audience is incredibly discerning and we will be running mainly archive prints (hence reel-to-reel) as part of frequently changing retrospectives and seasons, artist/film-maker seasons etc (there's 16mm too). We are also fitting a second-hand DCI compliant digital projector and server, though they expect it will mainly be for private hires, as most of the films programmed are not available digitally.

We'll see how it goes! Thanks again, and I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions.

Andy

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2014 03:29 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andy-
I just found a complete set of manuals for the Kinoton projectors, 1200ft reel
tower & Kinoton's automation system stashed in a file cabinet at at one of the screening
rooms I work at. I could probably scan them and e-mail them to you, but it's going to
take a couple of days since I'm very busy working a big film festival thru next
weekend. I want to scan them so I have a reference copy for myself too, but I'd be
happy to e-mail you copies if that would help you.

But it might take me a couple of days, possibly till next weekend before I can get to it.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2014 03:45 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andy, PM me I have some manuals for you
Jon

Andy Jenkin
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2014 04:29 PM      Profile for Andy Jenkin   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Jenkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jon, just sent you a PM. Jim, thanks a lot for your trouble but it looks like you can hold fire on the scanning front!

Thanks to you both!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: