Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector Switch Dead (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projector Switch Dead
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 03:01 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not running film right now so my Simplex 35 has been idle for awhile. But when I went to test it the other day it would not start. I checked the fuse in the control panel, the wiring to the soundhead motor and the circuit breakers. Everything appeared OK. Everything else in the control panel works including the switch for the exciter. I'm at a loss to figure it out. Got any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-16-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Convert to dijjital!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-16-2014 06:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the "control panel"? Some sort of automation system? A custom job? Something else?

So, the motor doesn't even turn or make any sort of noise when you flip the switch? If you have no buzzing or anything, that sounds like an electrical problem. You checked the fuses, so it's not that. Bad switch? You could try replacing it if it is a standard type. Or, if you have a voltmeter, you could see if you can measure 120VAC at the switch and, if you do, then measure the voltage at the motor. It is highly unlikely that you would be getting 120VAC to the motor if it is not making any noise at all. If you are, then you have a motor problem and it needs to go to a motor shop for repair.

Does the switch control the motor directly, or does it operate a relay that starts the motor? If the latter, it could be a bad relay (some relays can be safely operated by hand, so you could try that).

I am assuming here that you have some knowledge of electricity and electrical safety. If not, you might need to call an electrician. It is probably a simple issue.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 06:21 PM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(edit) Was writing while Scott was posting. What he said...
---------------------------

Sounds like a job for Occams Razor. You say you have a full 110v measured power at the motor when the switch is on?

Uncouple and disconnect the motor. Then feed 110v straight to it from the wall. If it doesn't turn, it's on that side. If it does turn, the problem is on the other side. Maybe a frozen gear? Sudden shaft misalignment caused by those cursed aliens in the dead of night?

What happens if the cap on the motor goes poof? I really don't know.

Just a few simplistic thoughts.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2014 07:13 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Xetron Automation control panel but it's not set for automation. The projector motor switch is a toggle switch and makes no sound when it is turned to the on position. Nothing has been done to the panel since we stopped running film except to turn it off. The switch controls the motor directly. I will probably call an electrician Scott.

I'd love to go digital Mark but right now I don't even have the money to rent films.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-16-2014 11:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and with VPF deals all dried up, it's all up to the owners to find funds for such a purchase.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2014 02:21 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a manual inching knob, have you tried turning it to see if it kick starts it ? This might indicate whether it's a mech problem. Also if the start/run cap is dead then (someone more knowledgable than me please correct me,) wouldn't manually turning the motor start it? As my understanding is a 3ph motor will run off a single phase, with reduced efficiency, but won't start on one. ?

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2014 07:53 AM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like the motor switch itself--through lack of use--has internally seized up!
--IF it doesn't make its usual sharp click when operated, sure sign of this happening.

I had a shed light-switch that would do this now and again usually on a cold night, a squirt of WD-40 cured it....

As to a failed motor start/run cap failing the motor would just sit there--and hum.
On turning its shaft smartly (usually the inch-knob on the motor shaft) they'll then run up to speed and run all day--Until turned off of course, then the same again from rest.....

Had a BTH 1/4HP motor in a Kalee where the start-cap had gone, it was a week before I got hold of a replacement, but we didn't lose any shows....
Got one at a local appliance repairs place--That Kalee motor was the same used in Hotpoint Twin-Tub washers!

My Kinoton has a similar arrangement, although with that its a motor Run cap, so no cap cut-out arrangement like used in the Start cap type, again same applies.....

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-17-2014 01:47 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think you might have a start switch bad inside the motor, is 120 v present on motor terminals?

Alternatively there is one recent Xetron automation that has the switches wired to a long terminal strip and the that has another terminal strip connected to the loads. If these are slightly unplugged or worse yet, burned (usually only the motor terminals) then neither the manual or automation will work.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2014 02:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a manual inching knob, have you tried turning it to see if it kick starts it ? This might indicate whether it's a mech problem. Also if the start/run cap is dead then (someone more knowledgable than me please correct me,) wouldn't manually turning the motor start it? As my understanding is a 3ph motor will run off a single phase, with reduced efficiency, but won't start on one. ?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-17-2014 07:55 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Motors that won't self-start will generally (always?) buzz, though, when powered on and until they are started by hand (or power is switched off). This one (evidently) does not do that.

My money is on it being the switch or the wiring issue that Louis mentioned. It could probably be fixed in a few minutes by trading some movie passes to the local electrician.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-17-2014 08:30 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a while now but one thought I had was to see if the "Interlink" button had been toggled.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2014 03:14 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've checked everything I can think of and done everything I can except kick it and I don't have any electrical meters. So I guess I'll call an electrician. Thanks guys. I'll let you know what he finds.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2014 07:16 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You really should have a meter or at the very least a test light. Harbor Freight has digital meters for just a few bucks and sometimes for as little as $1.99. Though not lab grade by a long shot they will give fairly accurate readings.

No Harbor Freight? No problem. I could pick up one and ship it to you for cost.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please do Rick. POB 963 Checotah, OK 74426.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: