Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » future of Warner 35mm

Author Topic: future of Warner 35mm
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-26-2014 08:53 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A theatre (performing-arts house, not a full-time film exhibitor) for which I have been booking films received a call from Warners last week about this. This is secondhand information, but they apparently stated that they plan to discontinue 35mm distribution within the next year or two and wanted to find out if the theatre had D-cinema equipment installed (it does not).

Did anyone else get a call like this recently. The venue in question has been booking repertory titles only, not recent material.

I am curious if anyone has further details.

|  IP: Logged

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2014 09:28 AM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We booked GOONIES last week with no problem. They jacked up their rates a couple of years ago, and were pulling rep distribution from some houses, but we haven't had a problem as of late.

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2014 11:47 AM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last thing we heard from Warner was that they had no plans to discontinue 35mm prints. Running Jersey Boys. That is WB print.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2014 02:51 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still 35mm. And I got the same phone call last week from WB.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-26-2014 04:00 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been very difficult the last few years getting 35mm rep from Warners. We have digital now, and they won't even consider a 35mm booking if DCP is available. I haven't begged or anything, but it is disappointing.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2014 09:16 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do Warner prints still have that several seconds of black in between the attached trailer and the feature? That's one thing I've missed [Smile]

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2014 10:57 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy WB's has an impressive DVD SALES Library; close to 10,000 titles. I have probably bought about 50 Std DVD's in the last 3 weeks and all under 5 Bucks...($4.69)

http://www.wbshop.com/category/movies+&+tv/all+dvd.do?nType=1

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-17-2014 11:31 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
It has been very difficult the last few years getting 35mm rep from Warners. We have digital now, and they won't even consider a 35mm booking if DCP is available.
I'm also told by co-workers here that Warners charge a lot more for rep and "classic" shows than Sony, Park Circus and Universal, hence the reason we play fewer of them. I don't know if this applies to 35mm and DCP. I certainly don't get a Warners 35mm print that often.

I'm guessing that they stand to get a windfall thanks to Lauren Bacall. A lot of rep houses are going to book The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not, etc., regardless of the cost (hope they have decent prints and/or DCPs available), and consumer DVD/BD/download sales will probably spike, too.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 01:28 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Matz
Boy WB's has an impressive DVD SALES Library; close to 10,000 titles. I have probably bought about 50 Std DVD's in the last 3 weeks and all under 5 Bucks...($4.69)
Watch out with these -- most of them are BURNED discs, not pressed. Burners are notorious for deteriorating with age. If you get a burner from WB, be sure to make a COPY and keep it on a hard drive for safe keeping. When the burner stops playing, you can burn a replacement.

As for any announcement from WB about ending 35mm rentals...no, we didn't get this, but then again, I haven't been booking titles for quite awhile now. We may be off their grid.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 06:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are homebrew discs, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality on the two that I've bought: Northwest Passage was double layer, and Confessions of a Nazi Spy was nice and clean. They look like one-light transfers from a projection print, and so some midtone detail isn't what you'd expect. But they are a lot better than bargain bucket, Elmo transfer from worn out 16mm jobs. But yes, keep ISOs to guard against disc degradation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: