Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Studios / Kodak Strike Deal to Keep Film Alive (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Studios / Kodak Strike Deal to Keep Film Alive
Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2014 08:52 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.avclub.com/article/jj-abrams-christopher-nolan-and-quentin-tarantino--207556?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

quote:
Cinephiles have been anticipating the death of celluloid for years now, predictions that seemed on the verge of coming true when Fujifilm closed its motion picture division last year. But Kodak, now the last remaining major company to produce motion-picture film, has received a major bailout courtesy of some prominent film directors/activists.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Kodak has seen its film sales fall 96 percent since 2006, an alarming financial reality that almost led to the closure of its film manufacturing plant in Rochester, N.Y. Kodak’s attempt to get movie studios to invest directly in the company faltered, but a new plan to secure long-term buying commitments from movie studios is reportedly proving successful enough to keep Kodak in business for the foreseeable future. The Weinstein Company, Warner Brothers, Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, and Walt Disney Studios are all currently negotiating commitments to buy a certain, undisclosed amount of motion-picture film from Kodak every year, regardless of whether they plan on using it.

The plan has succeeded in large part due to the efforts of prominent directors like Christopher Nolan, J.J. Abrams (who’s shooting Star Wars: Episode VII on film), Judd Apatow, and Quentin Tarantino. All four rallied a group of Hollywood directors to support the plan and force the hand of studio executives like Bob Weinstein, who tells the WSJ, “I don’t think we could look some of our filmmakers in the eyes if we didn’t do it.”

Kodak CEO Jeff Clarke says that, with the new guarantees in place, his company’s film division should return to profitability in 2016. But, he adds, the real benefit of the deal will be “a deeper recognition that film is valuable.”

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-31-2014 08:55 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this supposed to be for shooting on film, or for exhibition? I can't see how there would be much financial incentive to create release prints.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2014 09:00 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to think it's primarily for image acquisition - certainly no one will be able to turn back the clock on exhibition converting to digital projection.

But if this keeps the doors open at Kodak, and Fotokem can maintain the infrastructure for developing and printing film, at least the *option* will be available for both shooting on film, and striking release prints in at least small quantities.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2014 10:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would bet any amount of money that Disney would not be on board with this if not for the Star Wars movies.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-31-2014 11:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are wrong there Mike. Disney has ALWAYS cared about their library. And film is currently their best means of archiving it. They know as well as anybody if there is no more film, then their ability to keep/maintain their archive of their own titles will become much more difficult and expensive.

Until such time that digital has a suitable archival medium, Disney will be all too happy to have film around. Remember, even born-digital movies eventually get a film-out to go into the vaults. Film has about a 1000-year storage life...digital has nothing of the sort, yet.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2014 12:42 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic!

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2014 01:53 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is good news overall for movie fans and I guess for everyone who loves movies. From what I am reading, this is a all about capturing on film but even more importantly, having the rare small 35/70mm release here and there. I have said a couple of times on this forum and a few other forums that the studios will keep film alive for the rare occasional film release such as the Interstellar release and possibly others.

Having a wide film release is not fiscally possible but every once in a while, a release of film makes sense.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-01-2014 02:52 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I think you are wrong there Mike. Disney has ALWAYS cared about their library.
I stand corrected....I hadn't considered the older movies and the archival angle, was thinking more about new stuff, particularly Star Wars.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2014 04:10 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Daniel Schulz
certainly no one will be able to turn back the clock on exhibition converting to digital projection.
Probably right. But remember the cautionary tale about assuming in the field of media - namely vinyl albums. They also said there was no way in hell that vinyl albums would *ever* return. Now the NY Times is reporting that:
quote:
These days, every major label and many smaller ones are releasing vinyl, and most major new releases have a vinyl version, leading to a spate of new pressing plants.
I believe that albums were also a debate of deep quality. Sounds familiar. I'm just saying...

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2014 05:27 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The vinyl album analogy doesn't work. With those, there are customers willing to pay for them. I will 100% guarantee that there isn't an exhibitor that would pay a few thousand dollars (price will go up at lower volume) on top of film rental to get film prints.

Besides, based upon what I've seen from digital so far, a movie shot on film, scanned and post produced at 4k and projected with 4k laser DLP will look as good or better than anything but the absolute best of the best print.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-01-2014 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...I can just about guarantee that every new Disney movie...even born-digital will have a film version in the vault.

Lyle, as for your 100% guarantee. If almost nobody is showing on film and I, as an exhibitor, can exploit that and draw more than my fair share of the market buy offering film, then yes, I would pay above the rental cost for my print if I feel that expenditure would bring me in above the cost of the print (extra). That is simple business. Where the plan would fall apart is like what has happened with 3D...when there were but a few and it was a novelty...those that had it raked it in...but once everyone had it and the public didn't perceive it as special, the profits have sunk.

With exhibitors it will, always has, and sort of always should be...about the numbers. The difference between the way some look at it is for the short-term numbers versus the long-term numbers.

As for Vinyl records...people like to through that one up as how a technology written off has made a comeback to turn back time...well...no. Vinyl's numbers are still near nothing compared to all music sales. They are near nothing to what they were 30-years ago. What Vinyl records have shown is that people WILL seek out a perceived quality or even comfort difference. And that does apply to the film model. It does bode well for the very small film presentation model as a niche sort of thing. The problem for film, however is the size of the market versus the cost of the technology. The number of POTENTIAL vinyl record buyers is in the BILLIONS so even a very small percentage of those can create a sustainable market, albeit a small one. The potential movie theatres is less than 150,000. And by potential, I mean every screen in the world showing movies commercially. And just like with vinyl, when you look at the very small percentage of those that may actually invest and WANT to show movies on film...you have a teeny tiny market of what? In the hundreds? Of those, how many are set up to run 1st run? I know our sustaining film houses are primarily Art/REP and screening rooms. So your 1st run market is going to be so small that no part of the industry can really support it to any great extent. That is, those theatres are not going to be able to "demand" film prints. Again, it is about the numbers.

That said, I hope film does continue as long as possible. Whether from imprinting or not, it remains my preferred medium for watching movies. Oddly enough...I never liked 35mm very much...I always preferred 70mm (for obvious reasons to me) and 16mm for documentaries. For that, I have to go with the imprinting theory...I was raised on 16mm "instructional" movies.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-01-2014 02:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Mike...I can just about guarantee that every new Disney movie...even born-digital will have a film version in the vault.
I'm sure you're right....my comment was based on this statement here:

quote:
commitments to buy a certain, undisclosed amount of motion-picture film from Kodak every year, regardless of whether they plan on using it.
Disney isn't usually in the habit of buying something they don't plan to use, but I wasn't thinking in terms of archival purposes. Still....you wouldn't think they'd need very MUCH film. How many archival copies of anything are made?

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2014 03:16 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know Disney would be 100% for this. They not only have their Film Vault in Burbank; but also have a large number of Nitrate Master Negatives stored in a Semi-underground Salt Mine in KANSAS. Probably still have the Original Masters from SNOW WHITE,DUMBO,ETC. There...

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2014 05:05 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What this deal refers to is I suspect predominantly camera negative, to ensure that directors have the option to originate on film. It would be interesting to find out whether this deal includes any intermediate and print stock. There are enough heavyweight film makers out there who can insist on shooting on film and a few who still insist on at least a limited run of film prints. I imagine the future of film will be essentially as an origination medium but it will also be needed for at least the immediate future for archival purposes because as Steve points out, there simply is no reliable alternative at the moment.

Richard P. May
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2014 06:34 PM      Profile for Richard P. May   Email Richard P. May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the statement about nitrate "masters" being stored in an underground vault in Kansas - not so.
I have had years of experience in working with companies that use these facilities. NO NITRATE IS STORED HERE. A nitrate fire in such a location would be a major disaster, not only for the material being stored, but the nitric acid fumes created by a fire that can't be put out.
Most studio productions created on nitrate are at the Library of Congress, George Eastman House, Museum of Modern Art, or UCLA, all of which have properly constructed vaults for that purpose.
This is not meant to contradict the statement that Disney and others do not take proper care of their original negatives, but to clarify a misunderstanding about this (and other underground) storage facilities.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: