Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Single-Strip 3-D

Author Topic: Single-Strip 3-D
Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2014 09:59 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pleased to share my new article, "Restoring a Landmark 3-D Motion Picture."

It covers the production history of Arch Oboler's THE BUBBLE plus the documented facts on the effort to develop a widescreen, single-strip 3-D system in 1953.

Colonel Robert V. Bernier -- a forgotten 3-D pioneer -- is finally given his proper place in the history of stereoscopic cinema.

I also discuss the deplorable state of the 35mm negative and what we have done to restore it in HD for release on 3-D Blu-ray.

The article contains all-new research utilizing never-before-seen studio documents and primary source materials. I'm happy to report that many long-standing 3-D myths are now disproven.

Has anybody seen one of the those Pola-Lite systems from 1954?

I hope that you enjoy it!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/The-Bubble

|  IP: Logged

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-20-2014 02:48 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a long time fan of 3-D ever since I saw BWANA DEVIL in the format during iit's 'Gooden Age' in the early fifties, I am looking forward to the Blu Ray of THE BUBLE in October.

I must be very honest by saying I was not too pleased with single projection 3-D because the projected image was too dark and the pictures depth was not as wide as fifties 3-D and today's.

Because THE BUBLE will be 3-D on a Blu a Ray disc, the image will not be dark but how will the 3-D effects be compared to fifties and today, Bob?

-Claude

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-20-2014 03:51 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob...

The only remnant I've ever seen and on two occasions was the gray Polaroid phasing box that was mounted to the front wall of the booth. I think that's an indication the units you speak of were in use at those locations. The one site also had a Fairchild Perspecta unit.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2014 07:32 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mark, I've come across a few 'phasing boxes' or the remnants of of whatever
system they used to synchonize the left & right projectors. Some booths had
sylsyn motor systems, other actually had a physical linkage between projectors
to keep them in sync with each other.

A couple of years ago, I found this somehwat moldy
3D polarizing filter backstage at an old theater.
 -

I used to have a strip of a "Spacevision" alignment film. The piece I had was
too short to make a loop, & in pretty bad shape. I might still have it somewhere.

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2014 07:36 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Claude: The Space-Vision as seen in THE BUBBLE is very well done and certainly quite deep. It's on a par with the level of depth seen in the 1950's.

Colonel Bernier was certainly an expert and knew what he was doing. The times when his expertise was ignored (Warhol's Frankenstein) or after he died (Sea Dream) showed how much his experience was needed to optimize the Trioptiscope's capabilities.

Mark: That is certainly a remnant of the Polaroid sync kit which had been installed in many theaters, but has anyone seen a Pola-Lite single-strip system from 1954?

-

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 11:31 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, will there also be a 3D DCP of THE BUBBLE?

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 03:54 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Christian. The DCP will be ready to go later this year.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-21-2014 04:49 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for going off topic, Bob but what are the chances of Warner's releasing KISS ME KATE on Blu Ray in 3-D as well as INFERNO from either Fox or a licensed distributer? I saw iINFERNO IN 3-D during itt's original release in the fifties but I never saw. KMK in 3-D. Only in 2-D in both theatre and video.

It seem studios are not too interested in doing anything special in 3-D for the Blu Ray home video market anymore like Paramount's TITANIC, Universal's JURASSIC PARK, Fox 's I ROBOT & PREDITOR, and Warner's HOUSE OF WAX, DIAL M FOR MURDER & THE WIZARD OF OZ. While most studios are still releasing theatrical 3-D movies in 3-D on Blu Ray, Disney is not doing it anymore. Paramount had an opportunity to release a BD of NOAH in 3-D although it never played in U.S theatres in that format. Lionsgate also did the same with the 2013 animated TARZAN that never played in U.S. theatres but in 3-D in many other countries. The Walmart exclusive BD and DVD was in 2- D only in this country. All other countries are still getting All movies on BD that was released in 3-D in that format- including Disney!

-Claude

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2014 06:52 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
WB said they would proceed with KISS ME KATE if WAX did well.

From what we've heard, it didn't meet sales expectations.

INFERNO has just been released on 3-D Blu-ray in Region 2. If you have a multi-region player, I highly recommend it.

The home page of our website has the ordering information.

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2014 06:44 AM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
KISS ME KATE will be released in 3-D, 1.75:1 widescreen and three-channel stereophonic sound by Warner Bros. on 3-D Blu-ray in 2015!

-

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-03-2014 11:09 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Althought that is good news about KMK, I still can't understand why this stuff takes so long to get to video release in 3D. These are the same studios that are all hell-bent on getting current movies out ten minutes after they play in the theatres (see More Window Collapse in Ground Level), yet they sit twiddling their thumbs on these classics, especially KMK which had extensive work done when it was restored with new dual prints struck years ago for the Jeff Joseph's 3D Expo.

As I used to say over and over for years about the 3D BRay release of THE HOUSE OF WAX (which also had a georgous dual print struck for the 3D Expo) -- "What the eff are they waiting for?"

As for the lack of sales for HOUSE, perhaps if they hadn't waited for the cows to come home to release it sales might have been better. What they don't seem to understand is that those 60+ year old titles have a very fragile fan base that, sad to say, keeps dieing off faster than leaves off a tree in October. Every day they wait, they lose business to the grim reaper. It's simple math; and I say this because I am one of them...not exactly one foot in the grave, but no spring chicken either. If they want my money, they better be quick about it. And if we ARE able to stay alive, who knows how long before we're like, "Kiss me who? I don't remember anyone named Kate and why does she need three dees....what are dees?"

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 10-03-2014 06:58 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very happy KISS ME KATE will finally be released in 3-D on Blu Ray, Robert. I hope it will be in early 2015. In the meantime, I am looking forward to THE BUBBLE and DRAGONFLY SQUADRON in a few weeks.

I already have HOUSE OF WAX, CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, and DIAL M FOR MURDER from the Golden Age of 3-D during the early fifties and hope more films are released in 3-D for the home market such as MISS SADIE THOMPSON, ARENA, THE MAZE, THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE, and a Region 1 edition of INFERNO.

By the way, DIAL M FOR MURDER will be shown in 3-D at Consolidated Ward 16 Theatres at the end of October during the month long Alfred Hitchcock film series when VERTIGO, PHYCHO, THE BIRDS and a few others will be shown in addition to DMFM.

-Claude

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: