Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Correct aspect ratio for "Baby Doll" (1956)?

Author Topic: Correct aspect ratio for "Baby Doll" (1956)?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 07:31 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm showing a 35mm print of this in just over two hours' time, and am stumped as to the ratio. As it's Hollywood, not 'scope or VV and post-1954, I'm guessing that it should be 1.85. The footage all has a 1.37 matte. I've just played the opening reel and 1.85 looks good for most of the shot compositions, but two of the title cards are just slightly cropped and the others look tight. I suppose the crop could be because our aperture plate is a little bit overcut (it is - you can see it with an RP40). The position of the changeover cues suggests 1.85 to me, too.

I'm guessing that this is shoot-to-protect and that I could use either, or 1.66. Needless to say, the leaders of the print have both 1.37 and 1.85 marked in different handwriting, so two projectionists who've shown this print before me have come to different conclusions about it. If anyone has the definitive answer, it would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2014 07:52 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leo-

I ran a 35 print of this 2 or 3 years ago, and had the same issue.
I screened a reel at both 1:66 & 1:85 and both looked workable,
although I had a slight preference for the way it looked in 1:85.
(and that's how I ran it)

A bit of research going through old issues of the "BOX OFFICE
BOOKING GUIDE" confirms that it was originally released in 1:85.
 -
(Box Office Booking Guide, Dec 8th 1956)

I hope this helps. Good luck with your screening!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 07:58 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much - F-T to the rescue once again!

This is a print from Warners on 1969 stock, with quite a bit of wear on it (including some strained perfs in reel 3) but amazingly, no splices on the heads and tails. How it survived 45 years on the rep circuit without being plattered is somewhat of a miracle.

Anyway, this makes for an easy night - the other show in the double bill is The Misfits, also 1.85, and so no new ratio lineup needed during the intermission.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2014 08:21 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
the leaders of the print have both 1.37 and 1.85
LoL!

The leaders on the print I had were marked "1:66" & "1:85"

That's why I originally tried running a reel at each AR before I researched it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-24-2014 09:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the impression that a lot of "flat" shows made around the time widescreen came in were "shot to protect", so that they could if necessary be shown in anything from 1.37 to 1.85 without a disaster on the screen, because there would have been theaters that didn't have plates and lenses for the ideal, intended ratio, or the stage/screen areas hadn't been remodeled, and/or the filmmakers knew that it would be shown on TV full frame anyway, and so framed the shots so that they could be shown that way without boom mikes and other things you don't want being visible. Nevertheless, I do like to show the actual, correct ratio if I can, so many thanks again.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2014 10:18 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I get the impression that a lot of "flat" shows made around the time widescreen came in were "shot to protect",
If you look through old issues of American Cinematographer and SMPTE journals
from that period, there are a number of technical articles on this topic and
I seem to recall one (or both) of them even publishing the specifications for
marking the ground-glass in the camera viewfinder to accommodate a 'safe
area' for "everything". (Or at least all the "Flat" ratios)

Robert Furmanek
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2014 12:41 PM      Profile for Robert Furmanek   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Furmanek       Edit/Delete Post 
After May/June 1953, all Hollywood product was composed for widescreen.

You might find these articles of interest:

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/widescreen-documentation

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-widescreen

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: