Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » IREM F1-X30

Author Topic: IREM F1-X30
Rob Clarke Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2014 10:42 AM      Profile for Rob Clarke Tucker   Email Rob Clarke Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys,

Looking for parts for a IREM F1-X30 Xenon lamp power supply. I require the PCB1 Power switching bridge board. If not a second hand equivalent one would do?

Cheers,

Rob.

|  IP: Logged

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2014 03:36 PM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it not possible to repair the original....?

Rob Clarke Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2014 06:05 PM      Profile for Rob Clarke Tucker   Email Rob Clarke Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well i am hoping that some how this could be done as i have already replaced some capacitors on this but not all?

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2014 02:53 PM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First thing is--what is the rec doing--or not doing...?

Is a Schematic available for the Bridge O/P stage board? I'm not familiar with that rec, but from the board description it sounds like a Switch-Mode type supply.
--These things I'm pretty familiar with, as I work on them practically daily....

Rob Clarke Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2014 06:09 PM      Profile for Rob Clarke Tucker   Email Rob Clarke Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a Switch-Mode type supply, I took a reading of the output voltage which is only rated at 70v. I have also in the past changed the two white capacitors PCB1 Power switching bridge board which seemed to resolve the problem.

I have since use the projector again and found it would not ignite.

I have since changed the capacitors only to find that it's blown the board around the input of the board marked + & - but did not blow the internal fuse.

Yes i do have a schematic of the switching board if this helps?

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 06:45 AM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob--

I tried to reply to your message earlier, but always get this message whenever I use the messenger--

An error has occurred:

The SMTP server returned the following message:

550 ftforums@film-tech.com must check for new mail first

The SMTP server has rejected the email address the UBB tried to send mail to.
Please ensure that the UBB is allowed to relay mail through the SMTP server,
and that the From: email address (ftforums@film-tech.com) is a valid email address for this domain.

Please inform the board administration of this error so that they may fix the problem. Thank you!

Anyway--I'll be happy to have a look, but if you can send the schematic first so we can assess whats going on....

Rob Clarke Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 01:36 PM      Profile for Rob Clarke Tucker   Email Rob Clarke Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al,

Sent you a schematic via email and have informed Brad of the situation. As long as you have not blocked your email address via your profile, should not be a problem?

Best,

Rob.

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2014 07:15 AM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a follow-up to this thread, Rob has sent me the switcher-board from the rec, and Ive found that most of the silicon is fried/dead.

Ive asked him to send the rest of the rec so we can go through it.

As these small recs seem hard to find, we are going to repair this board and check/test the rest of the rec to make sure all is good.

Its quite a straightforward machine, no nasty weird components or hard to find chips, hoping it should be a straightforward renovation....

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 04:37 AM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well--Rectifier is all restored to full operation.

Rob--

Can you mail me to confirm your address for the rec's return to you. Ive sent a couple of emails--but no reply, I suspect my email is messing round....

Rob Clarke Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 04:53 AM      Profile for Rob Clarke Tucker   Email Rob Clarke Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Al,

Was wondering what was happening with the rec as i haven’t received any emails from you for a while. Hope you get your email problem sorted out soon.

In the mean time i have sent you a email hopefully you'll get one of them?

Best,

Rob.

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2014 11:58 AM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aye--Dunno whats going on with it, Sent a message last Sunday and then on Tuesday, couldn't understand what had happened...

Looks like I'll have to use the PM service here for you!

Rob Clarke Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Rob Clarke Tucker   Email Rob Clarke Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very happy to say Al has done a tremendous job and has fixed by IREM. I now have my portacine up and running.

Al is a true gent and a good friend.

Alastair Bowlie-Evans
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2014 05:17 PM      Profile for Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Email Alastair Bowlie-Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a pleasure to help you out....

Interesting project, we rebuilt the switching-board, replaced 8 transistors, some electrolytic caps and the main coupling-caps for the switching power.

To test--As I dont have a 500W Xenon handy, (smallest I have (somewhere) is a 1500w, and guessed I would have issues with trying to run that on only 500w power......

I disabled the booster circuit and arranged 4X 60/55W H4 Car headlamp bulbs as a sort of dummy load. The normal output of this rec is around 22.5V and max 500W lamp power rating.

This load I made up of car headlamps would accept 460w, @ 24V and with this I was able to load up the rectifier and run for some time....

I left the rec running this load for a couple of hours.

The rec got warm as you would expect, but not hot, the bulbs however didnt much like both filaments working at the same time (dip/main-beam) and melted the sockets somewhat!
All good fun!

It was then a simple job after confirming all repairs working OK to test the Booster circuit to evaluate the starting of a proper Xenon....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: