Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » QSC 2150 question

Author Topic: QSC 2150 question
Steven Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2014 03:29 PM      Profile for Steven Smith   Email Steven Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm building my second house and second theater room, it'll be 23x16x10.5. In the last one I owned the Jbl 3677 for a few months. I didn't have enough room for a false wall so I have ended up selling them. My room was treated with dual 18 subs, theater seats, hush box... It was really a nice room. The Jbl 3677 was just awesome, it was a tad harsh at first but after they broke in the we're smooth and just awesome with crazy mid bass. I understand they crossover in the vocal region at 1200hz but they were still very smooth. Even with not so great material they did great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pvBC0msHUQSo

As you can see in the video above they've made a splash in home theater since my time with them. Skip to 3 minutes for acoustics impressions.

So of course I was going to get more 3677s for the new theater. But I found a great deal on 5 qsc 2150. $400 each new in the box! After reading about how smooth qsc is and even calling qsc and speaking to their lead setup guy I felt I had made a good decision.

So I've been demoing them. Only in 2 channel as we are currently renting until the new house is finished. The woofers mid bass was kinda lacking compared to the Jbl 3677. And I had the Jbls aiming out my sunroom doors and the mid bass was still crazy, but everyone on avs who has 3677,4722 raves about the mid bass.

But besides mid bass, the mids are so fatiguing and harsh, vocal can hurt. Even after a month of steady use and break in. I've replayed harsh scenes with my ear close to confirm it and it's definitely the mid horn.

Of course these aren't yet in a baffle wall like my new theater will have but I'm a little worried.

I know proper set up will help but darn it's bad. Others on avs have cloned these with qsc parts and a few have noticed similar results. I just want something smooth. I've thought about the Jbl 4722 but I know I like the 3677.

If qsc does have speakers so smooth, based on rows or 13 and 19 feet, what models would be comparable in price to the 3677s, or even the 4722n which is around $1100. Or is it possible for them to improve that much in the vocal range once installed in a baffle wall with treatments?

Has any one done any 2150 installs that can give me some advice?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-31-2014 05:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you are OT here but long story short, you cannot compare two different speakers in two different rooms. Acoustic plays a huge role here.

Steven Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2014 06:23 PM      Profile for Steven Smith   Email Steven Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I know it's kinda not fair to compare them in different rooms. That's why I've been holding judgement while I've been trying them out the past month. My new theater will be treated like my last which mad a huge improvement. But it's so bad im worried they just won't smooth out enough even in the right room. I can put my ear near the mid horn and it evident it's just the sound it's producing.

As for being ot, Sam at qsc said they are perfect for my size room and are good from 8 to 55 feet back, these are for screening rooms and small theaters. You may want to check out avs forum. There are several of us using pro gear. Many have been chosen for home theater of the month including this month's which the forum moderator who selected it and went to demo it said it's the best home theater he's ever heard. Can't remember his mains but he has 8340a surrounds and rears. Even the 4722 has been in a few. The 2150s are my 4th set of pro speakers. But yeah, for most it may seem ot.

But basically I'm just curious if anyone has heard and setup the 2150.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2014 01:14 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he meant OT as in in the wrong section of the forum.

I havent got a chance to hear those particular QSC's.

I have the JBL 4722s with a different horn for LCRs in a false wall with AT screen and I am in love with the crazy midbass these cabs have amongst other great qualities!! I have them in my 20x13.5x7ft theater. I allowed 3 feet behind the stage so its actually 17ft long now. 8340a surrounds and Crown amps

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: