Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tarantino to shoot ant release next movie in 70mm in 2015 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Tarantino to shoot ant release next movie in 70mm in 2015
John Rizzo
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 03:57 PM      Profile for John Rizzo   Email John Rizzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is quite interesting, Does everyone still have their 70mm Projectors?

Story Here

|  IP: Logged

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 04:02 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cinerama here in Seattle will surely get it in 70mm. They are currently upgrading the theater again (thank you Paul Allen!) and I can't imagine they would have gotten rid of their 70mm capability what with their yearly 70mm fest and all.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 04:14 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need 70mm to shoot ants?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-03-2014 04:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a fly swat, but sure, 70mm looks like the perfect caliber for Tarantino.

- Carsten

John Rizzo
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2014 06:14 PM      Profile for John Rizzo   Email John Rizzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see link is not working:

trying again

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/quentin-tarantinos-the-hateful-eight-confirmed-for-fall-2015-will-have-widest-70mm-release-in-20-years-20140903

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't large format discussion since this is about 5-perforation 70mm, not 8-perf, 10-perf or 15-perf.

Mod please move this to Film Handler's Forum.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-04-2014 09:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the time has come we need to remove all current IMAX threads from the large format forum since Digi-LieMAX is in no way large format.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-04-2014 10:34 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Digital video IMAX as well as all of the other acronym laden video theaters (RPX, ETX/Prime, Big D, XD, UltraScreen, etc.) are NOT AT ALL Large Format. It's the same fuckin' 2K or 4K resolution projector (no better than 35mm resolution) blown up on a bigger screen. It is NOT truly large format. It's just a bigger screen with a somewhat louder sound system.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2014 10:34 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^BURN!

But anyways, great to hear. Hopefully it'll be my first-ever 70mmm experience.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 10:37 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Honolulu Star Advertiser printed an article about Quentin Tarantino 's film THE HATEFUL EIGHT in 70mm not on the entertainment page in the last section but on page two in the front section along with other major world and local news. That was very unusual indeed.

I am very curious if any theatre in Honolulu will ever play this movie in 70mm because no theatres in the city or the state is equipped for it anymore. At one time, we had a total of ten theatres that were capable of 70mm projection. If any theatre in Honolulu would play it in that format, it would most likely be a Consolidated theatre if they still had the equipment in storage and would go to the trouble of setting it up for only one movie,

-Claude

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-04-2014 11:01 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any word on what lab is going to do the film processing and printing? IIRC, FotoKem did the prints of The Master, but their website no longer mentions large format film release printing as one of the services they offer. Deluxe closed down their Hollywood lab earlier this year. To my knowledge, only Gulliver Arane in France are now offering a full 65/70 wet lab service, and so I guess that Tarantino's new movie will be seriously good news for them.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-05-2014 12:00 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the way I see it with 70mm, and film in general. It's a lot like the resurgence of vinyl LPs with music sales/distribution. Our local Hastings store has a bunch of music on vinyl. Apparently there's enough customers out there to justify selling it. And that's even with the dubious advantages vinyl has over modern digital recording technology.

There is no dispute over how much better 5-perf 65mm originated material can look versus the very best digital video camera systems currently available to mankind. 70mm is just plain better. Period.

Obviously I understand it's a hell of a lot more difficult working with film versus digital video. But 70mm is a grown up, real hardcore, real man kind of movie making process. 70mm ain't for pussies. If you're really a filmmaker and want to live up to the FILM part of that term (which is largely BULLSHIT in most other cases of what we're calling "films" now), making a movie in true 70mm format is the end all be all of it. QT is throwing down the gauntlet on being a real man and real filmmaker in that most non-pussy sense of the term. He's going to make a movie in 70mm. The wimps can videotape all they want with their Arri Alexa and Red cameras.

So, just like the resurgence of vinyl in music sales, 70mm can be a real sales point for theaters wanting to sell FILM!!! to the general public, at least those parts of the public who give a damn about film.

Best case scenario: if Quentin Tarantino's push for 70mm with The Hateful Eight does well, the movie theater industry could have at least a couple hundred screens in North America and another few hundred across the globe able to show movies on film in classic 5-perf 70mm (and maybe 35mm too). All without the silly IMAX branding attached to it.

My hope is if The Hateful Eight succeeds commercially, it might leave behind a sort of high end boutique level infrastructure of 70mm capable venues that dozens of other real film productions can use to their advantage.

We all understand the challenges that stand in front of this movie release. There's lab difficulties in handling 65mm negatives and 70mm prints. Obviously a LOT of training is needed in getting projectionists up to speed in handling 70mm prints so they're not turned into shreds or at least scratched all to hell. Datasat needs to do something to get a bunch of DTS 70mm time code readers ready. Or some other folks need to figure out how to get 5/70mm prints paired up with state of the art sound formats like Dolby Atmos (they can do this; I ain't buying any friggin' excuses, QT shouldn't either).

The movie industry needs to do what it can to keep film alive for the sake of archiving its own product. Digital media SUCKS out loud in terms of long term archiving. Film is where it's at. 70mm is the pinnacle of film.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2014 12:37 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Wipes tear from eye*

That would be most excellent.

Curious, what is the smallest practical screen size for 5/70?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-05-2014 01:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Datasat needs to do something to get a bunch of DTS 70mm time code readers ready.
The issue is more fundamental than that: someone needs to start making, or providing solid commercial support for 70mm projectors in commercial revenue earning service again.

We just bought one of the four final shutter assemblies that Kinoton Made for the DP70/AAII. Kinoton is now out of the film projector business. In fact, as far as I know, everyone is now out of the film projector business. Is there any model of 35/70 machine for which the full range of spares and support is still offered by the manufacturer or its approved agent? The people who are keeping these machines running today are already down to stockpiling parts, Ebay and putting want ads on sites such as this one.

That's OK if you're a rep house like ours, which plays 70mm half a dozen times a year and has five geeks on the staff with the knowledge, inclination and patience to persevere with it. But if the format is to make a serious, sustained comeback in the first run market, that means that there'll have to be installations which can run a print four times a day, being operated by someone who does not have advanced service and repair skills and with the same or better level of reliability as the DCP shows that are now the industry standard.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2014 01:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a complete "JJ" SN # 313, if that would help ... [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: