Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What studios still releasing 35mm prints? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What studios still releasing 35mm prints?
Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 02:16 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AMC/Loews/Cineplex Odeon/SRO Factoria Cinemas in Bellevue, WA is still hanging on to 35mm. I have read they are only allowed a month-by-month lease so the justification for the expense to go digital. Out of curiosity I have been tracking what has been playing there and from which studios. Wondering if anyone else spots the same trend of some studios dropping 35mm. This theatre is far enough away from anything that it can play day and date with their nearest competitor.

Still getting 35mm from:
Warner Bros: Playing The Judge, Annabelle, This is Where I Leave You, Dolphin Tale 2
Sony: Playing Fury (but not Equalizer)
Universal: Playing Dracula Untold, Boxtrolls, Lucy

Lately not getting 35mm from:
BV/Disney: Did not get Alexander…, 100 foot Journey. Still holding Guardians (on 2 screens!)
Fox: Did not get Gone Girl, Book of Life, Maze Runner. Lets be Cops.
Relativity: Did not get Best of Me, Earth to Echo

Paramount: Considering they officially ditched 35mm after Anchorman 2 there was a resurgence this summer at the Factoria with Transformers and TMNT2. Getting Interstellar on Nov. 5th.

Anyone noticing a similar trend in 35mm releases?

The possible loss of Disney 35mm is not good for the Factoria. It is popular with families because of its ample parking and lack of big crowds. I take my young kids there still (Frozen, Planes), even though it is a little further away from our house than downtown Seattle or nearby mall megaplexes. I know it will be probably going away soon but I am nostalgic for the place. Was but and expanded twice by SRO Theatres, once the finest operator in the Seattle area. There are 3 generations of SRO auditorium styles represented by this one theater. (3 plex to 5 plex to 8 plex). In the 80's it ran 70mm regularly. AMC has actually kept the place in decent shape and the current 35mm presentation in top notch.

http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/2470.html

|  IP: Logged

Terry Lynn-Stevens
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 02:39 AM      Profile for Terry Lynn-Stevens   Email Terry Lynn-Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting, interesting information. The last AMC near me closed recently, they ran 35mm right until the very end and in fact they removed two 3D digital projectors and reinstalled 35mm in their place about a year before the closure. The studios had no problem providing 35mm right until the end.

When there those pictures taken?

Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2014 03:12 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater ALSO has some of the old Drabinsky Cineplex Odeon charm as well, including the CO logo out front.

Also while you said the projection is still good, I am curious the CONDITION of the prints, any abrupt reel changes, lab splices or any other modern print anomalies? Do they have digital sound (SRD/DTS) on all screens too?

Really surprised this is STILL 35mm, but like you said the place could be shutting down any month now...

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2014 01:30 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry - Pictures from 2008 when for Iron Man. I have some others from a Frozen and Planes visit with the kids, but mostly of the kids.

Jason - Cineplex badging is still there, but pretty much the only thing that screams Cineplex Odeon. Current carpet might have been from them (though not typical pink/turqoise/purple motif). The tile in front of the concessions I believe is very cineplex. Other than that pure SRO. 3 screens from 1980, 2 from 1982 and 3 more from 1985. Like a time warp to Seattle/Tacoma movie going in the 80's and 90's With digital sound though, not sure of format. Cineplex had DTS on 2 or 3 screens back in the day. Not sure what Loews or AMC updated now that all screens are digital sound. Silent and steady reel changes. Policy trailers are the only thing really beat up. They have the current AMC red/white mouth animation and then the young couples being swooped up by plants thingy.

I was proud of my 6 year old daughter during a showing of Planes: Fire and Rescue when she asked what the black dots were that appeared every so often on the corner of the screen.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2014 07:44 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been following this their showings for a few months. If I ever get out to Seattle I'll give them a look, presuming they're not closed or converted by then.

They got Ouija (Universal), and are supposed to get Big Hero 6 (Disney) a couple days after Interstellar.

Speaking of Fox, Maze Runner was apparently their first all-DCP release. I wonder if Gone Girl and Book of Life were the same.

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2014 03:27 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Fox rep told me that starting with Maze Runner, Fox is digital only.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2014 07:44 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This month the Factoria's scheduled to get Horrible Bosses 2 (WB) and Penguins of Madagascar (Fox - who might be pulling a Paramount on their policy).

They're not showing Dumb and Dumber To (Universal), which did get prints.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2014 05:11 PM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, they do get a print of Dumb and Dumber To on Friday. Why did I think that was released last week?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2014 06:04 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Need to check this place out!!

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2014 04:10 PM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a cool little theater. Love to check it out if Im in the area before it goes under.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2014 08:18 AM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionsgate is releasing prints for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1. Did some of their past few releases (Expendables 3, John Wick) get prints too?

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2014 05:21 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I knew, no 35mm prints of Expendables 3.

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2014 10:58 AM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Factoria is now showing in 35mm: Big Hero 6 (2 screens), Hunger Games Mockingjay Pt 1 (2 screens), Interstellar (2 screens), The Penguins of Madagascar and Horrible Bosses 2. It seems those studios that have "stopped releasing 35mm prints" only do so except at peak movie seasons when they want to get their films on as many screens as possible or when Christopher Nolan wants his way.

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy at the Factoria recently and literally took a look in each auditorium and snapped photos. Will post them on Cinematreasures and send to Cinematour when I have time.

Another Seattle area theatre that is still holding out with 35mm is Regal's East Valley 13 in Renton which plays 2nd run for $3. Basically anything released in 35mm will end up here. Only 11 screens still operate as 2 were left unrepaired after some storm damage to the roof.

Mark Campbell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 07:03 PM      Profile for Mark Campbell   Email Mark Campbell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to turn this into a Factoria Cinemas thread but a quick update: went there with my youngest today to catch Penguins of Madagascar and the friendly employee told me that they had reached an agreement with the property owner and will be upgrading soon with "new seats and digital projection". Digital conversion starts in the next couple weeks. Did not get any clarification if the new seats would be the recliners.

I am happy the Factoria will have new life but sad about the loss of 35mm and that the theater will lose some SRO-ness. Those changeover cues looked great today.

Shawn M. Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-18-2014 07:55 AM      Profile for Shawn M. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (WB), Annie (Sony) and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (Fox) got 35mm prints. These are or will be at the Factoria.

They're showing Big Hero 6, Penguins and Interstellar on their two (?) newly converted digital screens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: