Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital Acc.-connector on CP500

Author Topic: Digital Acc.-connector on CP500
Fabian Schreyer
Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2014 08:27 AM      Profile for Fabian Schreyer   Email Fabian Schreyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the "Digital Acc."-connector on the Dolby CP500 is for?

I don't find any reference to it in the manual and as far as I can see it has never been mentioned on Film-Tech over all these years.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-28-2014 09:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam could probably provide a better answer. The CP500 was the processor that technically replaced the CP200. The CP200 used an Accessory Rack to expand its capabilities. As such, I'm sure the thought was that with the CP500 was to also allow for an Accessory Rack to expand the CP500 capabilities. However, that never did come to pass. My suspicion would be that the ACC analog and ACC Digital would work as a team to allow control and signal to pass between the CP500 and its ACC Rack. Thus, if you had say 70mm, the ACC Rack would have needed to replicate the Analog input port that people used for 70mm installations.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2014 09:48 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This "future expansion connector" reminds me of when I was in high school, I was given an old Sears TV. It had an octal socket on the back for a "color adapter." This was to drive a spinning color wheel in front of the CRT to implement the receive side of the CBS color system, which was adopted in the US for a short time. I remember seeing an article in one of the "Popular" magazines (Electronics, Mechanics, etc.) on making your own color adapter. It was a free running color wheel. You had a hand control to adjust the speed/phase until the color looked right. Anyway, shortly thereafter, the US adopted the all electronic NTSC color system from RCA. When I called Sears about a color adapter, they did not have any.

Harold

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2014 05:07 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vaguely recall this being discussed when I did the CP500 training course some years ago.

I have it in my memory that this was intended as some sort of direct digital input, but as Steve said it never came to pass.

Mike Denner at Dolby UK Wootton Basset might remember.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: