Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vic 5 Weird Noise + Parts to buy?

Author Topic: Vic 5 Weird Noise + Parts to buy?
Joel Whybrow
Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2014 05:38 PM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a V5 here which has clearly not been serviced correctly, the shutter phase was way off and the belt wasn't tensioned properly either. I've fixed these issues and topped up the intermittent oil (was empty and though there was plenty in the tube, the rubber bung in the end needed to be removed and the tube raised to fill the chamber).

It's still making like a whirring noise which was in time with the belt by the shutter gear fluctuating before I tightened it. After a minute or so it solidifies to a nasty sound like a belt is rubbing but I can't see that anywhere. The non-bearing rollers aren't moving so by this point I don't know what to look for. Is the intermittent just knackered?

I also need a analog and digital reader for this, the red LEDs are on the drum but no readers. Jackroe has them for over £500 but since this head was bought for 5 times less than that I'm hesitant to pay that sort of money! I'd also be keen to know where to find belts for this thing, if anywhere now.

Sorry if I'm not being clear with my descriptions, I've not looked at the movement of one of these before tonight!

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2014 08:46 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being a Vic 5, check the shutter box first, make sure there is grease or thick gear oil in there.

Second, check the rollers that the inner belt runs on, they are spinning, but the bearings could be shot.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-30-2014 09:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd guess that the shutter gearbox is buggered, too: the gears themselves are nylon and the gearboxes are a notorious weak point in the Vic 5. They are pretty easy to replace, though, if you can get your hands on a replacement.

Belts - I've seen them on Ebay. Sound Associates were the main Cinemeccanica dealer in Britain. It might be asking them if they still have any stock remaining.

Joel Whybrow
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2014 09:53 AM      Profile for Joel Whybrow   Email Joel Whybrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, will check the shutter box and the rollers. This is the late model (about 2000) so I believe the gears are metal.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2014 11:06 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joel,

VIC 5 shutter gear with metal transmission is usually coated in some type of rubber to keep the higher noise down.
I have seen one or so without the rubber-coating which had metal gears, but I would generally say that the non-coated are regular Teflon/nylon gears.

Best,

Jerry

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: