Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carbon arc and uneven color temperature

Author Topic: Carbon arc and uneven color temperature
Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2014 02:55 PM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having problem with one of the carbon arc lamps. It gives a slight bluish color on the right hand side of the picture. Center and left is white and nice. It seems more pronounced if I make the arc very short, but no matter where I place the tips of the carbons I can't seem to make the problem go away completely.

The other lamp gives better and more even illumination and does not have this issue at all. Interestingly, to achieve a given amperage, the good lamp can be used at a lower setting on the rotary knob that controls current. And furthermore, the good lamp consumes noticeably less carbon. I don't know if this is related to the color temp issue.

These are Cinemeccanica Zenith 350 lamphouses.

What can be amiss, any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2014 03:17 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you opened up the lamphouse and looked at the reflector(s)? Possibly one is clouded by dust, or even cracked. Considering your description, that would be the first place I'd look.

Fredrik Sandstrom
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2014 03:36 PM      Profile for Fredrik Sandstrom   Email Fredrik Sandstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, both reflectors are in pretty bad shape. Lots of small pits and copper droplets on them. I was advised to use a razor blade to remove the copper droplets, and while this indeed works, it leaves behind a new small pit in the surface. No cracks however.

We have four other reflectors that are also used but in much better shape, so we should put two of them in instead. I don't know why that hasn't happened yet.

However, I feel both reflectors are very similar in this regard, and if so this would not explain the problem. But I'll take a closer look.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2014 07:56 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
check the working distance from the center of the reflector to the film gate one lamp may be too far back, also did you adjust the mirror horizontally? You are getting fringe light from the spot or the carbon support is slightly off center. If you have a lamp alignment kit (a set of rods and lens holder adapter you can make sure all the optics are ligned up. It should be a simple fix.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: