Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gate Alignment Procedure Question

Author Topic: Gate Alignment Procedure Question
Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2014 10:34 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what everyone's process is for aligning the gate/trap and intermittent sprocket. I'm running a Super Simplex and I'm getting a a weave and a jump. Its on both projectors and I'm getting it on all kinds of film, so I can't blame the stock. I have the Lavezzi Straight gate guide and Did align the lateral Guides to the sprocket, but I'm wondering too, if the intermittent sprock can be off from the upper and lower feed sprockets a bit and if that would case the film to be off a bit. I took a closer look at the intermittent sprocket while the projector was running, I used a jeweler's loop to get up close to the teeth and I see no motion of the sprocket that would give me that jump on the screen. In fact the intermittent appears to be solid. I'm also thinking that the spring on the lateral guides maynot be as strong as it should be and the lateral roller seems to be moving faster than other projectors I've seen and I'm also thinking that the pivots and the divot on the roller are wearing can cause this. The roller, intermittent sprocket have no play in it. I also know in the manual there is a description on setting the intermittent that allows more spacing between the cam and the star (its has to be done when taking apart the intermittent to change the sprocket). Although there is zero binding in the intermittent, I wonder if this could be off a bit. Can a worn gear cause this, like a worn intermediate gear in the super? Any guidance is appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2014 06:54 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1: How clean is the projector?

2: How much wear is on the gate shoes and pressure pads?

3: Are pressure pad tensions properly adjusted? Too much pressure = mechanism and film damage.

4: Are the sprockets hooked? Any backlash in the intermittent.

5: Are the machines properly lubed on a daily basis? Is the gear train smooth and tight?

6: Do take a look at lateral guide pivots.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2014 08:10 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bernie

My good friend Frank Bolkovac reminded me of the following to pass on to you.

In Film-Tech Warehouse/Manuals select the Simplex Super Projector Parts Manual and flip to pg 45 Film Trap Door Holder and Lock Assy.

Often times this entire assembly becomes filthy and gummed up and should be disassembled and fully cleaned, properly lubed and re-assembled. Now, the S-1145-E Lock Fastening Screw may also be loose, resulting in the Trap Door opening up during operation.

Cheers

Will Kutler

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2014 09:45 AM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:

I changed my shutter shaft since it had a bend in the front as if someone picked it up at one time by the shaft and bent it. That got any unnecessary vibration out of the head. I aligned the sprocket and then using a levezzi gate alignment gauge, I aligned a new set of lateral guides with new pivots and set them perfectly. I have zero weave now. For jump, I believe the intermittent, when rebuilt, wasn't run in properly. It starts out quiet, but by 10-15 mins its rumbling. I'm hoping to get another intermittent soon.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: