Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dick Prather RIP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dick Prather RIP
Gary A. Hoselton
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2014 12:21 PM      Profile for Gary A. Hoselton   Email Gary A. Hoselton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Prather of Portland OR died a week ago, too much in him just wore out. With him went a lot of projection equipment and operations knowledge, same for his ham radio hobby. Gary Lacher kept in contact with him to the end, and is assisting the widow. Funeral 3PM December 5th, Lincoln Memorial, Portland OR

|  IP: Logged

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2014 03:20 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to hear this news. Dick was very helpful to me on several occasions. Nice guy with a lot of knowledge.

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure sorry to hear this. Great person, one of the most knowledgeable on this forum concerning projectors, their age, and rebuilding of them. I consulted with him many times over the years. Now there is nobody around like that anymore.
My sincere sympathy to his wife and family.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-21-2014 06:26 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a loss.

I was working with him rather recently on my period accurate XL booth and he had more knowledge and documents than anyone else I consulted. He had the only overall drawing showing myriad versions of this sound system.

He'll be missed by anyone with a love for film.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-21-2014 11:55 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was a nice guy….we traded many obscure and arcane manuals, literature and parts over the years….

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2014 08:24 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sorry to hear this. I didn't realize we shared the same interest ...amateur radio. Dick helped me out on several occasions.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-22-2014 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first met Dick at a Dolby training class that Sam Chavez was teaching back in 1985, this was at the original Dolby building in the San Fransisco financial district. We kept in touch all those years and I paid him a visit in Portland on a couple occasions and Dick came and spent a week with me back in the 90's when I was still in Chicago. We toured LaVezzi, The Chicago Theater and paid a visit to the late Charlie Wolk. We also attended a Cubs double header at Wrigley Field. Most don't know but Dick was a big Cubs fan. I will post some pictures as soon as I locate them.

RIP ole buddy, you and Charlie have a lot to discuss!

-

-

-

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2014 06:36 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R.I.P.

I was wondering if something was wrong. I spoke with Dick a few times and was recently trying to contact him regarding historical records and other info. Dick will be missed!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-22-2014 09:51 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good man. Sorely missed.

Jarod Reddig
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2014 05:15 AM      Profile for Jarod Reddig   Email Jarod Reddig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear. A truly dieing bread. RIP

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-23-2014 08:02 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RIP

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2014 04:56 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad news indeed. I have been friends with Dick and Carolyn for a good 45 years. I found him his set of XLs that he put in his home screening room. He also was instrumental in my learning of the perspecta sound system and had a nice print of white christmas that demonstrated it well. My deepest sympathy goes out to Carolyn and the cats. Another industry historian is gone to a better place, I hope his vast collection of early equipment and documents find a good home. John

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2014 12:10 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Images of Dick at home. Uploaded on behalf of Henry Taylor.

-

-

-

-

Steve Matz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 01:53 PM      Profile for Steve Matz   Email Steve Matz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All these old School projector experts are thinning out regularly. Lots of Knowledge and experience goes with them that a new generation will probably never know the good ole days of 35mm film projection...RIP Dick

btw: Will Kutler; I noticed a PM that I replied to you back in October is still unread by you. Check it out; I don't want you to think I didn't get back to your original PM.... [Wink] S.M.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2014 02:01 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Will Kutler
Uploaded on behalf of Henry Taylor
Is he the Henry Taylor who used to work the Circle Theater and others in DC?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: