Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Westrex Tower settings

Author Topic: Westrex Tower settings
Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2014 02:39 PM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I'm just getting a Westrex tower back in working order and was wondering what pay out and take up settings people would recommend with 36inch solid spools? I seem to remember it was about 40 on pay out and 60 on take up? Any advice , as always greatly appreciated!
Jon

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 06:48 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is, 'it depends'.

You'll need a higher tension setting on start up, which you can quickly reduce once the machine is up to speed and steady.

You want just enough tension on the top to avoid bounce, one the bottom you need just enough to avoid loops forming and to make sure the take-up wind is even. Too much will strain the perfs and is often accompanied by a buzzing noise from the hold-back sprocket.

Your numbers don't sound un-reasonable for a running show, but not for starting.

Spool hub diameter makes a difference (smaller hubs need more tension), and using a floating hub spool on the bottom makes a massive difference.

Jonathan Wood
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2014 07:35 AM      Profile for Jonathan Wood   Email Jonathan Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pete , much appreciated. So about 60/80 in start and reduce to 40/60 after a few mins if all is well?
Cheers Jon

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-07-2014 04:48 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, 'it depends'.

There's so many variables.

The diameter of the spool hub.
The ramp up time of the projector.

Are the big two.

Smaller hubs and quicker ramp up needs more tension.

Owen Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2014 08:15 PM      Profile for Owen Morgan   Email Owen Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete is soo right..

Used a westrex tower for ages and ages and ages, and rarely were the settings the same.... it depended on the film length affecting the diameter of the spool, how tightly the film had been wound on in the first place. the Age of the tower I find makes a difference (the motor Caps tend to wander with charge with age).

without using your physical tower i dont think anyone here can give you steadfast guides.

its a bit of playing around, start with smaller values, and wind the tension up til you find the right place.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: