Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 70mm formats 40,41,42,43 with CP-500 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 70mm formats 40,41,42,43 with CP-500
Zdenek Stepanek
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2015 02:22 AM      Profile for Zdenek Stepanek   Author's Homepage   Email Zdenek Stepanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I´m a novice on this forum. My friend own famous cinema in czech republic with fully functional UM 70/35 projectors from Meopta.

http://in70mm.com/news/2014/panorama/uk/index.htm

My job is primarily IT/Computers, but in fact, i know every screw in this building. Today, I work on the sound.

Historically, in this cinema is czechoslovakian transistors power amplifier AKT from Tesla. It handle 6-track Todd-AO format - 6 full-range amplifiers and boxes. No Dolby at all...

We have also CP-500 with 6ch. analog input card and (maybe, i hope...) with daughterboard for installation 3x Dolby-A card. Outputs are typically modern 5.1 (L+R+C+Sw behind scene) and Left and Right surrond.

My question is how CP-500 with those arrangement can play 70mm formats:

40 - Todd-AO - 6 full-range channels
41 - Todd-AO+Dolby-A - 6 full-range channels with Dolby-A NR
42 - Baby Boom - Le (between L and C) and Re channels are two subwoofers, All channels with Dolby-A
43 - Stereo Surrond - Le and Re are used for one subwoofers and simultaneously for stereo surrounds.

My opinion is that CP-500 cannot handle format 40 and 41 because it have not Le and Re boxes behind screen.

My plan is for L/R/C/S use CP-500 (I duplicate S to Sr and Sl.) and add two separate amplifiers and boxes to play Le/Re separately without CP-500. It is good idea?

In case format 42 it propably can play it but with merging left and right baby-boom subwoofers into one.

And finally format 43 is absolutely without problems, because format 43 has same placement of channels as modern 5.1.

It is my view is correct?

What else could I set with this processor?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-20-2015 06:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP500 (and CP650 or the CP65 for that matter)) are poor 70mm processors. You are correct that they don't handle format 40 or 41. While the CP500 does handle format 42 and 43 it can only do so with Dolby-A noise reduction. After the reissue of Lawrence of Arabia...the vast majority of 70mm releases were with SR noise reduction. So even Lawrence of Arabia would need proper SR on all tracks and the CP500 is incapable of it.

The only really good 70mm processor (ever) was the CP200. It can handle proper SR on all channels and decode most every format in release for the format.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2015 07:04 AM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

To play SR though don't you need to pull all the Dolby A cards from the Cp-200 and replace them with SR ones? Six Cat 280T cards?

-paul

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-20-2015 09:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is the most common way. It is also possible to put SR decoders in line with the preamp (or anywhere else in the signal path prior to any decoding of the surround/bass tracks).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-20-2015 09:49 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The operative term being "proper SR." LOL

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-20-2015 02:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe that the CP500 would recognize 6-channels of CAT222 "SR". The 70mm version had at CAT222SR/A and two CAT222A for 6-channels of A and 2 channels of fake SR.

Zdenek Stepanek
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2015 04:13 PM      Profile for Zdenek Stepanek   Author's Homepage   Email Zdenek Stepanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP-500 have only one 222SR/A card by default (for 35mm optic) and with daughterboard it can have one 222SR/A and two 222A (same as those in CP-50/65).

I have simple stupid question. Do you have CP-200 for sell? For what? If no, i have no choice other than CP-500.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-20-2015 07:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't but they are around. Sam Chavez may have one.

You may have to work with what you got. It also really depends on what films you really think you will need to run.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 01-21-2015 07:48 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually quite curious, what movies in format 40 or 41 did you recently play or are you considering to program?

Zdenek Stepanek
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2015 06:36 AM      Profile for Zdenek Stepanek   Author's Homepage   Email Zdenek Stepanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcel, if you are "widescreener", you know what 70mm films they are in Europe. So those. At the moment I do not know what movies are in what formats, but I want to be prepared for all. Today there is nothing concrete, but if everything goes as planned, the European 70mm scene will be enriched with a new cinema that remains in the memory of 70mm fans.

Everyone, if you have any tips what is right way for me, i will be happy.

Im looking on ebay and i found:

CP-200 + Power supply:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dolby-Model-CP200-Cinema-Processor-Unit-Professional-Theater-Sound-Video-Audio-/171502602897

(But there is only processor unit, control unit missing.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOLBY-PS1B-PS1-PS-1B-CP500-CP200-CP-200-500-CINEMA-PROCESSOR-POWER-SUPPLY-/360896275525

Rack with two 280T cards:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Stereo-SRM-10B-SRM-10-Noise-Reduction-Frame-Dolby-Cat-No-280T-DGSB-353-/200848978399

Is right idea that i may connect three of those units (with 6 cat-280T cards) between mag. preamps and CP-500? What is differencies between SRA-5 and SRM-10?

One very good cinema audio expert reccomend those SR units as good enhancement of CP-500. Or is possible to connect two those units for Le,Re,C,S and for L and R use 222SR/A card in CP-500?

Many thanks.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2015 08:08 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"2OO1: A Space Odyssey" is full 6-track with Dolby NR

Zdenek Stepanek
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2015 04:08 AM      Profile for Zdenek Stepanek   Author's Homepage   Email Zdenek Stepanek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, please, how many 70mm prints in Europe has SR noise reduction? Are they any? I tried to find them, but unsuccessfully. I have print list from germany collector, but there is only Dolby-A notices.

Is there a way to use one 222SR/A card in CP-500 for SR noise reduction for L and R channel and left others channels without SR?

If the SR really needed my propably way is SRA-5 or SRM-10 with CP-500.

Edit: What you mean with "full 6-track with Dolby NR"? Dolby-A or SR?

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-23-2015 08:16 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Cineplex Odeon ran Navy Pier IMAX in Chicago, long before the DMR blowups, they had a JJ in there for non IMAX shows.

They played the 70mm "2001" print Mark & I screened at the Virginia in Champaign, IL for an event called "Cyberfest" which was the inspiration for Ebertfest. It was mag with an unusual 5.1 configuration (supposedly approved by Stanley Kubrick---I presume designed for home media), in SR. We played it with a stack of 280T-equipped 364's as I recall. But Gary Meissner, then CO's usual independent tech in this area, now with Dolby, told me he got the CP500 to somehow do 6-channels of SR (fake SR). I do not recall the details.

Jerry Axelsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2015 10:54 AM      Profile for Jerry Axelsson   Email Jerry Axelsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zdenek,

I do not know how many 70mm prints with Dolby Stereo SR there are in Europe. But at the Swedish Film Institute we have 70mm prints in SR of:

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, FAR AND AWAY

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2015 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To reply to the question about "2001" and what type of Dolbyizing was applied: all prints made in or around 2001 were "SR" type NR. There had been no prints struck for some time, so the prints of that vintage are the most likely to possibly be available for exhibition.

At the time those prints were made, all of them were were made with the mag tracks; eventually most of those prints were starting to look kind of ragged and it's known that there were one or two quite recent prints with DTS, but those seem to be extremely limited in production and availability.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: