Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » need a wiring diagram for Hertner Transverter (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: need a wiring diagram for Hertner Transverter
John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2015 07:12 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've dug through all my RCA & Altec service manuals and can't come up with a wiring diagram for a Hertner Transverter model 40/80 carbon arc motor-generator, I am going to set one up in my museum's 1940s E7/peerless booth for one KW arcs. Can anyone email me a JPG of the wiring info, especially the field control rheostat circuit? Thanks all, I know there's a few old timers left out there!

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2015 08:18 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if these will be of any help to you.

These images are from my 1927 copy of the "Richardson's
Projection Handbook" - - - Pages 516. 517 & 518
 -

-

-

If you need higher resoloution images, or if you'd
like to have scans of the entire pages, which have
lots of text info about the transverters, PM me and
I'll send them to you. Somewhere around here I'm
pretty sure I have an actual transverter manual,
but I'm on my way out the door to do a screening,
so I can't go 'digging' for it at the moment.

Hope these images are at least some hlep to you, for now. [Smile]

-jc-

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-26-2015 06:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that is kinda cool.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-26-2015 10:24 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case you'll enjoy this. These are motor-alternators making 400 Hz. to run a couple of Control Data mainframes circa late 1970s. 400 Hz. is easier to rectify into smooth, low voltage DC but if you need M-A's to make it, it might be easier to just deal with 60 Hz. So from what I could gather the real reason for the M-A sets was to isolate from power line glitches, ride out momentary outages and having the output side be 400 Hz (with smaller transformers & filter at the rectifier end upstairs) was just a side benefit.

-

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2015 03:54 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was recently talking to a friends grandfather, an elderly gent who'd served his country in the RAF.

Apparently the legendary Lancaster, Halifax and Lincoln heavy bombers had a similar device on board to provide power for the radar later in WWII. With aviation being fanatical about weight saving I was somewhat surprised, he said it was the best they could do at the time.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-26-2015 04:27 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most striking thing about the Unbroken movie (to me, anyway) is how minimally equipped the bombers are. Being used to seeing the modern war movies where there's all sorts of armour and hi-tech gadgetry, those bombers (assuming that it's a historically accurate depiction) were pretty much the minimum possible mechanical components that would get a load off the ground. No armour worth mentioning and a few guys just hanging out the sides in the open air using very basic machine guns equipped with ring sights and a belt of ammunition. No such thing as a seat belt or even a seat for some of those folks.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-26-2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larger aircraft still uses 400 Hz AC.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-26-2015 07:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the war the generators were sold as surplus and many ended up being used as arc welder we had one on our farm

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2015 09:23 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
400 Hz was used primarily on all aircraft made in USA during WW2 for communications, radar, IFF and navigation as the higher frequency allowed for much smaller and lighter electronics ie: transformers,chokes etc. The laminated cores were considerably smaller for the higher frequency without developing additional heat loss. Electric motors also were very small and efficient.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-28-2015 09:21 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are probably still plenty of elevators running on MG sets. Many (most?) have been updated but it's a larger undertaking than simply dropping in a transformer & rectifier because field current is part of the control system.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-28-2015 09:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aircraft use 400 hz because everything associated with it is smaller and lighter.

Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2015 09:58 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It never ceases to amaze me the wealth and breadth of knowledge us projection dinosaurs have on tap!

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2015 11:01 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the electronics on WWII American subs were also powered by MG sets even under diesel power.

Charles A. Petty
Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2015 08:59 AM      Profile for Charles A. Petty   Email Charles A. Petty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the two original Actodector MG sets still in use at the Oakland Paramount theater.
 -

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-29-2015 10:37 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Kraus
There are probably still plenty of elevators running on MG sets
One of the screening rooms I work at is located in a building that dates back
to 1914. The elevator control system probably dates back to the early 1930's.

Big friggn'-huge motor generators, and thyratron control tubes, and more
relay racks than you'd find in an old telephone company switching office.

I recently took a friend down to the basement to see it and he was in awe.

Next time I'm there, I'll try & get some pictures!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: